Player contracts and transfers

David123

John Sutton is one on my list of Saints Targets who in my opinion is not as good an option as BG was . Therefore not signing BG was a bummer. We really need to initially look at players who are better than what we have or we have decided to let go to improve or indeed keep the Status Quo. We  really need to go the the potential route more often, Rory Loy is still a bit untested but surely he was a better prospect than Rory Fallon was when he was on trial with us?   One bit of positive gossip shite heard over the weekend from the deep south was that QOS are desperate to sign Zander on a permanent deal as a fee would be involved they are working on a swap deal with one of their youngster who is out of contract to head up this way, No name was mentioned maybe get Durnan after all.     

Edited by Center Half

Sutton is easily better than Graham. If we get a similar quality of ball into the box than Sutton will get 10-15 goals at the least, see all those easy headers Graham puts wide? Sutton scores them.

This I do agree with. Sutton is a MUCH better finisher than BG.....but the concern remains that unless you get the crosses pin point accurate then you would be as well with a coat stand there

This I do agree with. Sutton is a MUCH better finisher than BG.....but the concern remains that unless you get the crosses pin point accurate then you would be as well with a coat stand there

We do have some great crosses of the ball though. Easton, Lappin, Mackay and Wotherspoon all deliver great balls the majority of the time, and if we had Sutton and a onrushing Murray Davidson going for them I see no reason for us not scoring from these.

Edited by RandomGuy

We do have some great crosses of the ball though. Easton, Lappin, Mackay and Wotherspoon all deliver great balls the majority of the time, and if we had Higdon and a onrushing Murray Davidson going for them I see no reason for us not scoring from these.

For 'Higdon' read 'Sutton' or have you moved on to somebody different?

John Sutton is one on my list of Saints Targets who in my opinion is not as good an option as BG was . Therefore not signing BG was a bummer. We really need to initially look at players who are better than what we have or we have decided to let go to improve or indeed keep the Status Quo. We really need to go the the potential route more often, Rory Loy is still a bit untested but surely he was a better prospect than Rory Fallon was when he was on trial with us? One bit of positive gossip shite heard over the weekend from the deep south was that QOS are desperate to sign Zander on a permanent deal as a fee would be involved they are working on a swap deal with one of their youngster who is out of contract to head up this way, No name was mentioned maybe get Durnan after all.

So we should look at players we are less likely to get because they are seen as better. So when we inevitably don't sign them the players that are were interested in coming to Perth have been signed by someone as well so we can't get those either. We need to be smart about things.

I can't see Durnan wanting to come back to Perth if he's not going to play regularly either. We are probably going to offer Wright another year if he wants it.

Sutton is a far better player than Graham.  Similar type of player too, whihc is encouraging.  If BG could find the target more than 1 in every 5 attempts then he'd have scored a lot of goals for us this season, so I reckon Sutton could slot right into this team and bag 15 goals quite easily.  Exactly what we are looking for IMO.

Sutton is a far better player than Graham. Similar type of player too, whihc is encouraging. If BG could find the target more than 1 in every 5 attempts then he'd have scored a lot of goals for us this season, so I reckon Sutton could slot right into this team and bag 15 goals quite easily. Exactly what we are looking for IMO.

I agree. He's a level above Graham in terms of goalscoring. Maclean can provide the link between midfield and forwards, Sutton just needs to put away the chances. I'd be really chuffed to have him.

I'd rather have Brian Graham. A couple of years back Sutton would've been ok. Whatever other people's opinion of Brian Graham are, I've thought he always works hard, runs the channels, making himself available and he seems to be the only player this season able to get himself in the box and in positions to create chances. Granted, he seems to need 3 or 4 chances to score one and his link up play can be poor. Sutton is slower and far less mobile. I fear Sam Parkin Mk2 here.

A few seasons ago, this would have been okay. However, these days I believe he would be the slowest thing at a slow things convention. What he can still do is score, but the ball has to be delivered right on to his head or fall at his feet

Exactly another McFadden. He is only getting the last 10 mins in a team fighting relegation ffs.

Ally Gilchrist and Gareth Rodgers have both signed on for an extra year.

Gilchrist got rave reviews during his loan spell at Elgin this season, so nice to see him get signed up. Wouldn't be surprised if both got loaned out next season.

Ally Gilchrist and Gareth Rodgers have both signed on for an extra year.

Gilchrist got rave reviews during his loan spell at Elgin this season, so nice to see him get signed up. Wouldn't be surprised if both got loaned out next season.

The key for Rodgers is can he stay fit!

Even RandomGuy isn't being negative about the prospect of John Sutton, which I think says a lot. Would be an excellent signing IMO, although I'd be surprised if a club with more money didn't offer him a deal.

I've had my reasons for being negative lately, not football related, so I'm sorry if i've seemed a bit dickish/ negative over the past few days. I'll try and be more upbeat again. 

Also I remember when we offered Stevie May a deal that would apparently make him one of our highest ever earners, Radford mentioned we'd also done the same with Sandaza and felt the club would be willing to pay a bit more for a striker who we knew would score goals in the league. I'd hope that was true, and I think Sutton would maybe be worth that little bit more, and that we'd stand a good chance of getting him with that in mind. I do agree it might depend on what happens with Motherwell though.

Edited by RandomGuy

Struggling to see how letting BG go, and talking about signing strikers who were there on the Normandy beaches is the way forward, tbh. I assume TW wanted to keep BG, but RC's crazy chairman paid up. Believe me, we will regret that. Sutton? Well he might be good for 10 goals. Or he might not.

Saints are between a rock and a hard place. With our budget, there are only two ways to go. Hope like fek your young star striker turns out to be Stevie May. Or buy some aging proven striker/younger failing striker you can turn around. Both do work, but often don't.

Unless you want to give Saints half a mill, that's where we're at.

Fingers crossed, and have faith with Tommy. My guess is that an ageing striker is being brought in to replace ageing striker McClean, and the whole Board of Directors have their fingers and toes crossed that Kane or Hunter is the real deal.

You could buy Saints tomorrow for a decent lottery win. What the fek else do you expect them to do?