Sack the Manager?

Shibbydoo

Sack the Manager?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wanted him to go in November tbh.

I was never in favour of the appointment, but was pleased to be proved wrong last season. His decisions have been baffling, and - from what I’ve heard - the ones that the Chairman STOPPED him making are even worse.

32 minutes ago, Linky said:

I wanted him to go in November tbh.

I was never in favour of the appointment, but was pleased to be proved wrong last season. His decisions have been baffling, and - from what I’ve heard - the ones that the Chairman STOPPED him making are even worse.

Me too. But was shouted down by a number of other fans. We've given him a chance (and plenty cash) and he's done nothing with it.

Look at the results of the poll. Says it all.

Bye bye Callum, no hard feelings but go NOW.

7 hours ago, MySpazz said:

The signings were made in a pandemic when no one was moving anywhere, also during a period where we were leaving Europe, so in a sense there were less players about elsehwhere at other clubs. Recruitment became more difficult AND we made a hash of it with the laptop dude.

We ARE punching above our weight, we WERE shite not so long ago, mid 2000s, and we should know our place. Perth didn't double in population and we didn't get a oligarch owner. We are still a well run club, we are still in the Premier and that's all I'd ask for. All else is gravy.

You can't sack the manager at this point in the season, and i'm afraid, like a lot of the players I think many have accepted we are in the Play-offs, and that was accepted weeks back. The real shock would be if we fail to overcome one of the three teams in the running. And there are no guarantees we are good enough. In fact, not sure we are. 

Watched the match today and the quality, or lack of it was easy to see.  We were pish.

Your points are correct re punching size of city etc, not so sure about well run these days, but we have managed to maintain our position at the top table consistently over the last decade and there was going to be a time this happened, but I think what the issue is the speed of where we were at the beginning of the season to where we are now has been something else. Saints used to have plan B seems we just spunked money on any player available and offered deals to very poor players who are not at the level required, coukd counter that they are decent and its the way the manager sets them up.

Anyone with a bit of football knowledge can see what a mess this team is, and I do think for any chance if we do get a play off would be better without the manager, as others have alluded to he just doesn't see where he is going wrong and if we do get through he will be hailed as some sort of success and he gets to lead us again next season, and the longer term thing is an even bigger worry where it will lead if he is in charge based on this season's efforts.

I feel we ve a better chance in the play off with no manager than we have with Callum just now, yesterday was almost a play off game, a real chance to drag St Mirren into it, we had not a single shot on target, last week a real opportunity to close the gap when we went level and win the game and yet we settles for a draw, it appeared to me on managers instructions, any caretaker manager gives us a better chance I think.

7 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Incredibly sad to see any Saints supporter with such a small-time attitude. ‘We should know our place’. Good grief.

I’m assuming you’re a glass half empty kind of person, but you should keep those negative thoughts to yourself instead of dampening other people’s desire to strive for continued success.

Said it before I hate this attitude and I think it pervades the club and is an easy excuse. 40 years I have been a supporter, mostly top flight football.

Looked back and from what I can gather we tipped a couple of years ago into, in our history we have played in the top division more than we have not

The 80s were the blip not the norm.

Now relegation, yes a possibility but we should of been reaching the stage that that was a diminished likelihood.

Certainly this year, this is not simply a bad season where external factors have gone against us. This is mismanagement and what feels like neglect from those steering the club. This is all our own doing  

These players, particularly the ones brought in during the break, are simply not good enough. Poor management off the park and poor management on it. The speed of our decline  has been unprecedented. That's it for me Callum has to go. Resigned to going down (the players certainly are). We need a complete clear out at the club. How long will it take to get back I don't know.

13 hours ago, MySpazz said:

We ARE punching above our weight, we WERE shite not so long ago, mid 2000s, and we should know our place. Perth didn't double in population and we didn't get a oligarch owner. We are still a well run club, we are still in the Premier and that's all I'd ask for. All else is gravy.

That really is complete nonsense. We are where we are on merit. If we want to stay where we are we need to work for it. Not just shrug our shoulders and say "oh well, Perth's a small city". You mention how shite we were in the mid-2000s - well we're sleepwalking our way right back there and some of us would like to see the club actually do something about it before it's too late.

13 hours ago, MySpazz said:

You can't sack the manager at this point in the season

Why?

Just now, blueheaven said:

No we're not. Going back to a crap position doesn't mean we belong there. It just means we've made a colossal mess of being in a better position.

@Shaggy Jenkins made a good point, that in fairness I'd not thought off, because i really only started supporting in the 80s (as a boy), that "The 80s were the blip not the norm."

Even with that, think there needs to be some perspective about the incredible hieghts of our success and where a natural level is. I mean, are Dundee United fans expecting to make the Europa League final? Or was that a blip?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

No we're not. Going back to a crap position doesn't mean we belong there. It just means we've made a colossal mess of being in a better position.

Exactly. Someone took their eye off the ball and we have ended up where we are now. It took a long time before we joined the elite, achieving decent positions year on year, winning cups and playing in Europe. The end of the yo-yo years should have seen the end of this theory about punching above our weight etc. 

So frustrating.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

@Shaggy Jenkins made a good point, that in fairness I'd not thought off, because i really only started supporting in the 80s (as a boy), that "The 80s were the blip not the norm."

Even with that, think there needs to be some perspective about the incredible hieghts of our success and where a natural level is. I mean, are Dundee United fans expecting to make the Europa League final? Or was that a blip?

To be honest I don't believe in "natural levels". Clubs have their ups and downs. Get things right and we'll rise. Get things wrong and we'll fall. There is absolutely no reason why St Johnstone should not be comfortably sustainable in the Premier League. We've been able to do that for the last 10 years, and the only reason we're suddenly in danger of not doing that is because of bad management and bad decisions. Natural level has nothing to do with it. Especially as there's currently a fairly high chance that if we go down we'll be replaced by a far, far smaller club.

1 hour ago, saint-johns-toun said:

He got lucky last season

I don't agree with that really. I've seen a few people saying this and I think it's a real shame that some now seem to be going back and casting doubt over the greatest achievement in our history.

We were successful last season because we were bloody good. We're in a relegation fight this year because we've been bloody awful. I don't think the second statement cancels out the first one.

The problems the club have faced have been known for at least three years.  We haven't had a striker worth calling that.  How we achieved the double without a decent striker amazed me.  With Europe, many thought, the lure of £2+ million, the club would make the effort to sign someone.  It appears that the only striker given time has been the statue known as Cifti.  He seems to have more time than all the other imported strikers combined.  Why?  He certainly hasn't shown anything to be an automatic pick.  

We, in my opinion, would have beaten Galatasaray and Lask, had we a striker.  Where would our season have gone from there? 

We compounded that by selling Kerr and McCann at the death of the transfer window.  (We would have kept them had we still been in Europe hopefully)

Now were all these decisions made against Davidson's wishes or with his blessing. 

A number like Hallberg, Butterworth have come in and looked like they could be just what we need yet weeks later they are like headless chickens, like the rest of them.  How can our coaches achieve this?  

Poor league form makes many managers negative (See Sean Dyche at Burnley).  Davidson and his management team must be accountable for the failure to change from a discredited and woeful system using the same players and expecting better results.  He hasn't adapted at all, changed anything.  

If Brown wished to help him he could have brought in someone to help guide him, change a voice in the players ears.  

I am surprised that when we are fighting (not on the pitch obviously) to stay up, players who are battle hardened and up for the fight, Craig, Davidson, are too often missing from the lineup.  Crawford who wouldn't tackle himself makes it every time.  

The time for change was after Kelty but to have a remote chance of surviving the playoff, we need change now.  I would have Craig/Davidson in charge until the end of the season due to their knowledge of the players.  Maybe bring Paul Sheerin in to show them how to pass the bloody ball to a player instead of punt it.

One would hope the board have a good look at themselves as well.  How toxic can the atmosphere be there when so many background management have left?  Where they the problem or the ones pointing out the problems?  It feels we have come a full circle from when Geoff Brown took over.  We are so dysfunctional at all levels.