The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

1 hour ago, MrBored said:

If CD was to change to say 442....I'm not sure we would see a great deal of difference in the manner the players move the ball. It would still be sideways- backwards- safe passing.

Definitely agree with this. We're painfully slow on the ball and it's been an issue for a while now. We're pretty good at holding on to possession, but it tends to either peter out or go backwards because we take so long to move the ball around that the opposition always has time to chase back and get between us and the goal. I think Hallberg makes a bit of a difference to this as he thinks more quickly and can spot a forward pass, but we need more like him for it to make a difference.

12 minutes ago, Stormy39 said:

Am I right in saying we are going into this season with only 3 recognised strikers? 1 is a baby and new to the league (although I remain hopeful), another is injured currently and although super hard working has never been a regular 10+ goals man, and the third is Stevie May? O'Halloran ain't no striker. Murphy and Carey are wingers. Or is one of them going to cover up front? Maybe Spoonie too? And wee Max? Don't say Crawford!? The squad is crying out for another striker and a GK. This has to be obvious right!? Midfield is looking rammed although another CDM would be a bonus.......

Just got over excited by seeing St Johnstone in the BBC's Transfer Gossip daily. Only Murray telling the team to sort their discipline. Urgh FML!

I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if we don't sign another striker. We cannot possibly go into a Premiership season with what we currently have. Frankly, it will be unforgivable - especially given the manager's own decision to send another striker out on loan to Linfield, and spend parts of his budget on other positions (I'd really question whether the need for Considine and Murphy was greater than the need for a striker, for example).

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He does. Asked to be given a chance as number 1 this season and was told no.

Aye but my point is Zander was no where near 1st team at 21 had to progress through several loans and then compete with Mannus  if the Manager thinks its best for Sinclair to get more experience going on loan first I don't see the issue 

I had hoped he would play  some games before going on loan though  he is not ready to play every week as No1 though  if he made a mistake the boo boys would  ruin him, arguably  anyway!

There's many a young player deemed not good enough for first team action only to be sent out on loan.The ones that come back 'better' players rarely hang about before they transfered to better clubs meaning we as a club don't get the full benefit of their talents.Surely if they are good enough they are good enough and if they haven't got the mental resilience to take a bit of stick they won't get very far in football anyway.

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

There's many a young player deemed not good enough for first team action only to be sent out on loan.The ones that come back 'better' players rarely hang about before they transfered to better clubs meaning we as a club don't get the full benefit of their talents.Surely if they are good enough they are good enough and if they haven't got the mental resilience to take a bit of stick they won't get very far in football anyway.

Stevie May Zander Clark Jason Kerr Liam Gordon  ..worked out OK with them going on loan and becoming regulars 

7 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Stevie May Zander Clark Jason Kerr Liam Gordon  ..worked out OK with them going on loan and becoming regulars 

Bingo - not every young player is Ali McCann and ready to just be dropped into the starting lineup. Important to remember Sinclair has missed well over a years worth of football to injury as well

16 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Bingo - not every young player is Ali McCann and ready to just be dropped into the starting lineup. Important to remember Sinclair has missed well over a years worth of football to injury as well

Ali went to Stranraer did he not. 

You’re right, Sinclair missed a lot of football, and development before that would have been stunted by the pandemic 

A reason things unravelled for Sandy Clark was his scattergun approach to signings, losing a left back, then signing a striker etc... 

Unfortunately seem to be seeing much the same just now. The manager obviously feels the (only?) problem last season was in the attacking midfield areas and that if we rectify that, everything will be fine, which seems overly hopeful and optimistic. 

He's gambled on Drey Wright (a winger, with questionable injury record) being able to replace the talismanic Rooney, with another winger (O'Halloran) presumably being viewed as additional cover to James Brown, who is a more orthodox full back type. 

John Mahon came in back in January and along with Considine are presumably viewed as replacements for McCart. That seems acceptable business. 

Butterfield, Bryson and Craig played 30 games between them and are all gone. MacPherson will be expected to feature more (although is already suspended) and Hallberg will be deployed deeper given more advanced signings. Ballantyne has returned from loan but I'd question if he's suited to any role in the 5-2-3. I'd have thought a new signing would have been identified for this area of the park but clearly not on the agenda? 

Clearly squad has improved in attacking midfield with two new signings (plus manager quoted as Wright and Montgomery being options there) and return of Kucheriavyi. Loss of overrated Middleton definitely offset by arrivals. The improvement here is what I feel we probably needed in every area of the park. 

Chris Kane remains without a definite timescale regards a return, leaving us with two strikers, having lost Callum Hendry. Theo Bair didn't start a game for Saints last season and Stevie May has 3 goals in his last 64 games. The manager spoke about 5 outfield signings, a number he's now reached, although thankfully he seems to be moving direction on that now. Surely a striker is on the list? But if they haven't been looking for one up to this point? 

Oh, and we still don't have a goalkeeper despite knowing for months and months that Zander Clark was leaving.

Unfortunately, I genuinely feel the longer we just carry on like this, the more damage we are doing and the longer it'll take to recover. 

It’s always felt like we operated under a strict budget when it comes to transfers but if feels like this has changed, particularly over the last 6 months where it feels much more like Callum just does what he wants. It seems like everyone gets offered a 2 year deal now.

His inconsistent interviews don’t help us know what the thoughts are.

I d agree that it looks like the midfield is possibly stronger, Carey, Murphy and Max back will hopefully give us more of a threat.

We haven’t replaced Hendry or Zander though which is a huge concern as probably our two most effective players last season. In Hendry’s case though, I do wonder if it’s because it was by accident rather than great management he ended up a success. I m not convinced we wanted him back from his loan spell as much as Killie just didn’t want him anymore. I might be being unfair in that.

Considine has a lot to prove for me, a two year deal for a 35 year old, presumably he s on good wages as well, I can’t help think they must have been a better candidate there.

At the minute it’s a  worry that we are heading into new season with a weaker squad than the one which finished second bottom last year.

29 minutes ago, Strawman said:

It’s always felt like we operated under a strict budget when it comes to transfers but if feels like this has changed, particularly over the last 6 months where it feels much more like Callum just does what he wants. It seems like everyone gets offered a 2 year deal now.

I d agree that it looks like the midfield is possibly stronger, Carey, Murphy and Max back will hopefully give us more of a threat.

We haven’t replaced Hendry or Zander though which is a huge concern as probably our two most effective players last season. In Hendry’s case though, I do wonder if it’s because it was by accident rather than great management he ended up a success. I m not convinced we wanted him back from his loan spell as much as Killie just didn’t want him anymore. I might be being unfair in that.

Considine has a lot to prove for me, a two year deal for a 35 year old, presumably he s on good wages as well, I can’t help think they must have been a better candidate there.

At the minute it’s a  worry that we are heading into new season with a weaker squad than the one which finished second bottom last year.

If the shackles are off so to speak in the money department I’d love to know what we offered Hendry and Zander

45 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Agree our attacking midfield options are stronger, on paper at least.

It’s the holding, defensive midfield options that are terrifying. It’s such a crucial part of any team. It exposes our defence and doesn’t link defence with attack. I think we saw both of these weaknesses last season and I can’t believe it wasn’t a priority position to strengthen. 

Even in 2020/21, we had a weakness in that central area in front of defence, and that was with Ali McCann in there.

It was alleviated a bit when we started playing three in midfield more often but the plan this season looks like going back to a two and this time with no McCann.

The fact Davidson is never asked, or makes any attempt to explain, his thinking doesn't help.

WHY does he think we don't need a new CDM?

14 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Even in 2020/21, we had a weakness in that central area in front of defence, and that was with Ali McCann in there.

It was alleviated a bit when we started playing three in midfield more often but the plan this season looks like going back to a two and this time with no McCann.

The fact Davidson is never asked, or makes any attempt to explain, his thinking doesn't help.

WHY does he think we don't need a new CDM?

Same reason he thinks Gilmour is a RWB.

Same reason he loaned out the only striker we had that scored goals last season.

Same reason he hasn't replaced our goalkeeper despite having 7 months to do so.

Same reason he's signed MacPherson, Crawford and Considine on 2 year deals.

Same reason Max got told off for trying to play football.

He is shite!

8 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

trying to play back 4 with unsuited players 

We're playing a back five, seemingly.

Davidson had a poor/average window with a decimated squad and is now compounding it by playing players out of position and away from their strengths.

Again.

Hes learning nothing and its us who'll pay the price.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We're playing a back five, seemingly.

Davidson had a poor/average window with a decimated squad and is now compounding it by playing players out of position and away from their strengths.

Again.

Hes learning nothing and its us who'll pay the price.

Anyone else almost lost total interest in this shitfest?