St Johnstone vs Aberdeen - 20/8/2022

Aitchy

Very sad and totally agree, we were saying that, from East Stand we could see them working hard to resuscitate and then they were carrying to ambulance as the players took to field.

It became clear as first half went on that the worst had happened as the urgency that was initially there from the ambulance staff went. Horrible to think that someone passed away as a football match took place just yards away.

What was the alternative though, should the game have went ahead ? Couldn’t help but think, what if that was me or a friend of mine in the ambulance, I don’t think I d have minded one way or other to be honest, makes you realise there are way more important things in life than a game of football.

No mention of the incident from the club that I ve seen which is suprising, but maybe they ve asked the family and were asked not to.

22 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Very sad and totally agree, we were saying that, from East Stand we could see them working hard to resuscitate and then they were carrying to ambulance as the players took to field.

It became clear as first half went on that the worst had happened as the urgency that was initially there from the ambulance staff went. Horrible to think that someone passed away as a football match took place just yards away.

What was the alternative though, should the game have went ahead ? Couldn’t help but think, what if that was me or a friend of mine in the ambulance, I don’t think I d have minded one way or other to be honest, makes you realise there are way more important things in life than a game of football.

No mention of the incident from the club that I ve seen which is suprising, but maybe they ve asked the family and were asked not to.

Hopefully the club will have a minute’s silence at our next home game to honour him 

16 hours ago, Cagey said:

For the goal Carey lost the ball trying a fancy move and then commited the foul that led to the goal. I wonder if he will be dumped just like Eetu for a lesser mistake.

I actually thought he was going to get a second yellow and surprised that he wasn't subbed earlier.

To be fair to Carey he never made contact with Hayes who dived. Another refs decision that cost us.

Was it just me or did we get booked for nearly every tackle and Aberdeen were getting away with them all game.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:11 PM, Ali91 said:

I’d understand this viewpoint in isolation, but I feel like I’ve watched slightly different variations of that performance for the last year. Did anyone at half time think that game would finish anything other than 1-0 to Aberdeen? Or for that matter before the game? 

This is exactly how I feel. Because we're still fairly tight at the back and we set out to park the bus, we're in a situation where we're easy to play against but difficult to score against. Outside the OF games we're probably unlikely to take major hammerings and as a result we get results like 1-0 defeats from Hibs and Aberdeen which in isolation don't look all that bad. But the wider context is that we're coming nowhere near to beating these teams and we're seeing the same issues week after week after week: an inability to create chances; a rigid persistence with a system that isn't working; we lose a goal and (Motherwell game aside) look unable to come back from it; we're slow and predictable on the ball and we're always outnumbered by the opposition when we try to go forward. And you can add poor discipline to those issues too (I thought the biggest surprise on Saturday was that we finished the game with 10 men).

A 1-0 defeat from Aberdeen might not be the worst result in the world but the problem comes from results like these building up. 

I don't think either Hibs or Aberdeen have looked anything special and if we keep losing these games we quite simply won't stay in the league.

22 hours ago, Cagey said:

Was it just me or did we get booked for nearly every tackle and Aberdeen were getting away with them all game.

From the BBC we had 5 yellow cards from 18 fouls whilst Aberdeen had zero yellow cards from 12 fouls. This has been a common theme and I think last season we were miles ahead in the cards per foul stats for the league.

8 hours ago, garydavidson said:

From the BBC we had 5 yellow cards from 18 fouls whilst Aberdeen had zero yellow cards from 12 fouls. This has been a common theme and I think last season we were miles ahead in the cards per foul stats for the league.

Thought the ref punished saints for about every tackle with a card, yeah some were yellows, but he just didn’t seem to want to book Aberdeen and some of theirs warranted a yellow,  if there was to be consistency, how he waived play on when Murphy was basically halfed at the edge of the box their box is beyond me.

Our discipline isn’t great but I totally get the frustration as have definitely noticed more leniency towards our so called more illustrive opponents in the last few months (make that most of time watching saints!) when we seem to get the cards straight away. Maybe my blue tinted glasses.

The only time you hear anything about inconsistent refereeing is when something goes against one of the old firm. We and many of the so called wee teams have to put up with this week in week out. People who think it is going to improve with VAR I think will be disappointed as we will still have the inconsistent refs deciding what to check or not check. I can just imagine a last minute penalty appeal against one of them being reviewed. I doubt it. Hopefully I’m wrong but time will tell. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:15 PM, sideline said:

Was it just me or did Aberdeen steal about five yards at the free kick while the referee was administering the booking?

Glad you said this. Now first of all Carey made no can’t act with Hayes at all so was never a free kick. Second I found really weird. But the referee marked the line for the wall then paced out the ten yards to the ball. He then told Aberdeen to move the ball back two yards and they refused for some reason so the referee just carried on.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, crieffsaintandy said:

Thought the ref punished saints for about every tackle with a card, yeah some were yellows, but he just didn’t seem to want to book Aberdeen and some of theirs warranted a yellow,  if there was to be consistency, how he waived play on when Murphy was basically halfed at the edge of the box their box is beyond me.

Our discipline isn’t great but I totally get the frustration as have definitely noticed more leniency towards our so called more illustrive opponents in the last few months (make that most of time watching saints!) when we seem to get the cards straight away. Maybe my blue tinted glasses.

I had a few to many sherbets after the Hibs game and that night thought right that’s it I’m fed up with refereeing standards in the SPL. So emailed the SFA my thoughts and asked for the clarity on the rule let’s just say not even a reply.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:42 PM, saintgscot said:

I had a few to many sherbets after the Hibs game and that night thought right that’s it I’m fed up with refereeing standards in the SPL. So emailed the SFA my thoughts and asked for the clarity on the rule let’s just say not even a reply.

Here is my email. Yes I know I called Hibs Hearts at one point as I say few to many sherbets.

1CBCD364-BB85-43C5-8983-17DA49AD5294.png