Steve Brown Standing Down

Bruno Strasser

Think we all suspected this was around the corner but it's still a bit of a shock to see it actually happening. He can walk away with his head held high after overseeing what has been an incredible period of success for the club. Hopefully that success can continue for some time yet.

Bit odd that there's no mention at all of what happens next, but I guess a separate announcement will follow at some point. I think the club could certainly do with an injection of fresh ideas, but would be wary of a complete departure from the way things are run.

Note that the hand over is taking place on 31 May which I assume is the end of the financial year. The fact he is not staying on as a club director is surprising. 

Could there be an impending announcement of new owners it was mentioned on here before that the Binn group could be a possible bidder. 

I assume the plan bringing in Ian flagherty and Gus McPherson has always been with the intention of having a hands off chairman. 

Edited by mainstand

Sad to read this...not surprised though.

I always got the feeling that SB felt he was under-appreciated by the support given the time he put into the club. Following his father was always going to be a hard act to follow. However, he did a very good job in my opinion.

Also, a word of thanks to Charlie Fraser for his input and giving up is own time to help out.

I always feel a bit like its better the devil you know when these things come along. Perhaps as is said above though, fresh blood, fresh ideas.

Be interesting to see if they sell or become silent owners. The fact that he stepping away from the BoD suggests the former. Unless he just wants a clean break. 

If the Brown family are looking to move on, I would be fully behind the renaming of the North Stand as a nod to their service to the club. 

42 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Be interesting to see if they sell or become silent owners. The fact that he stepping away from the BoD suggests the former. Unless he just wants a clean break. 

If the Brown family are looking to move on, I would be fully behind the renaming of the North Stand as a nod to their service to the club. 

It's currently got a big sign up on the back that says GS Brown Construction Stand. Although I think that may have been to get around having that big GS Brown sign up. Agree though, it seems appropriate they have a stand named after the family that have done so much for the club.

EXCLUSIVE: Geoff Brown admits St Johnstone chairman role could ‘land back with me’ after son Steve quits.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/3960307/exclusive-geoff-brown-st-johnstone-chairman

He told Courier Sport that there is plenty of time for a successor to be appointed.

But Brown admitted that it “might be” a case of Saints going back to the future.

“There’s time enough for that,” said Geoff on the subject of what happens after May 31.

“The lay of the land at this minute in time is it’s going to land back with me.

“The situation is that today, that’s not requiring an answer.

“But, one way or another, if you own the club you either do it or you have to look for A N Other to do it.

“Over 37 years we’ve never paid any money out to a chairman. That’s basically the reason why St Johnstone is in profit.”

23 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

“Over 37 years we’ve never paid any money out to a chairman. That’s basically the reason why St Johnstone is in profit.”

I find this a bit of an odd comment. Is he saying that if there was a salaried chairman it would force the club out of profit? Surely one salary - even a generous one - isn't going to have that impact?

It's starting to sound like this is happening without a plan in place for what happens next, which has got to be a bit of a worry.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

EXCLUSIVE: Geoff Brown admits St Johnstone chairman role could ‘land back with me’ after son Steve quits.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/3960307/exclusive-geoff-brown-st-johnstone-chairman

He told Courier Sport that there is plenty of time for a successor to be appointed.

But Brown admitted that it “might be” a case of Saints going back to the future.

“There’s time enough for that,” said Geoff on the subject of what happens after May 31.

“The lay of the land at this minute in time is it’s going to land back with me.

“The situation is that today, that’s not requiring an answer.

“But, one way or another, if you own the club you either do it or you have to look for A N Other to do it.

I read this as the Browns playing hardball. 

Suspect there are talks underway somewhere, and this is Geoff making it clear he won’t be giving the club away to anyone 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I find this a bit of an odd comment. Is he saying that if there was a salaried chairman it would force the club out of profit? Surely one salary - even a generous one - isn't going to have that impact?

It's starting to sound like this is happening without a plan in place for what happens next, which has got to be a bit of a worry.

Don't over think this; it's normal speak by businessmen. It's a throw away line that they have put a lot of time and effort in to Saints with little financial reward which is what a good old fashioned football model was not the "Glazer" and "Fenway" model of greedy businessmen.

I hope Geoff keeps a handle on things.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

I read this as the Browns playing hardball. 

Suspect there are talks underway somewhere, and this is Geoff making it clear he won’t be giving the club away to anyone 

Interesting angle.  

Quite sure there is someone daft enought to want to take this on. We were lucky to get Geoff Brown at the right time of his life and the club's evolution. A much harder job for the next owner.... less road to travel, without putting in a massive investment. Binn are one of the richest independant companies in Perth, they clean up (alright alright).

What's the club worth? £10m? £20m?

Whatever it is worth, i reckon the chairman will be getting paid soon!!!

40 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Interesting angle.  

Quite sure there is someone daft enought to want to take this on. We were lucky to get Geoff Brown at the right time of his life and the club's evolution. A much harder job for the next owner.... less road to travel, without putting in a massive investment. Binn are one of the richest independant companies in Perth, they clean up (alright alright).

Binn Group have been a great sponsor but can’t see them diversifying into football ownership.

I had always hoped the Browns would not profit financially from saints and put a structure in place that allowed the club to at least continue as is. For that to happen Geoff would need to put complete faith in someone to manage his shareholding, that   Won’t be easy. 

The Browns don’t need to profit financially from saints I am sure Geoff will do all he can to secure our long term future.

3 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Interesting angle.  

It’s tough to price, but I would assume 8 figs as it sits. 

This “sunshine and unicorns” idea that the Browns won’t look to profit or take a fee is nonsense.

They have invested nearly 40 years in a business without taking a salary. 

This is where they get paid. 

Otherwise, it would absolutely be picked up by an asset stripper. 

Edited by Pat McGroin