Fakes V Saintees Sat 2Nd Feb Scottish Cup And Celery

Dr Christmas Jones

Taken from unofficial twitter: Since the start of 2012, Stevie May has scored 26 goals in 41 games. Tade, MacLean, Vine and Hasselbaink have only two more between them.

#

And most of these goals are in Div 3. Rangers strikers are a great success in Div 3 but again showed that in the SPL they are not there yet.

I see a lot of positive posts about Tade but as much as I like the guy if you sit back and look at it as a neutral you have to admit the guy has done very well to end up playing at this level. Awful with his head, no first or second touch and poor in front of goal. Brute strength, pace and a fantastic engine and desire make him likeable and occasionally very dangerous but unfortunately it's too rare.

I'm desperate for him to do well as he's a great professional and I'll never criticise him for a mistake at the game but I just don't see a player there.

Agree with all of that. He is useless a loan striker as we punt the ball to him & he jumps early & is usually back on the ground before the ball comes.

He has missed at least 3 good chances with his head so far & looks like it was another one today..

McLean needs an out & out striker to feed off him & Tade is not the one.

Much of the game has been covered so won't add much. Thought we shaded it until the first goal but looked beaten after that. Had a decent period before the break but came up against a goalkeeper that although mocked, wins his club points and matches. MacLean's chance was the big one and his miss was criminal. Started the second half with another couple of chances but our strikers have struggled in front of goal all season, so not sure why we should expect them to start doing better now. For a long part of the first half couldn't see what our plan of attack was and neither Tade or MacLean is suited or look like they enjoy playing out right.

We are into February and I couldn't pick the strikers that will get the nod against Hibernian next week. Does Lomas even know himself? That is a problem I feel. They do have different attributes but the fact that none can score regularly means it's hard to differentiate between them. If folk were asked to rate the four of them in an order, would anyone agree on the ranking?

Much of the game has been covered so won't add much. Thought we shaded it until the first goal but looked beaten after that. Had a decent period before the break but came up against a goalkeeper that although mocked, wins his club points and matches. MacLean's chance was the big one and his miss was criminal. Started the second half with another couple of chances but our strikers have struggled in front of goal all season, so not sure why we should expect them to start doing better now. For a long part of the first half couldn't see what our plan of attack was and neither Tade or MacLean is suited or look like they enjoy playing out right.

We are into February and I couldn't pick the strikers that will get the nod against Hibernian next week. Does Lomas even know himself? That is a problem I feel. They do have different attributes but the fact that none can score regularly means it's hard to differentiate between them. If folk were asked to rate the four of them in an order, would anyone agree on the ranking?

Sorry to get to such a level but Lomas couldnt pick his nose . Edited by McD

As has been said, the reason we are out of the cup is simple. They had a striker who could put the ball away and we did not. Other than that, I thought we played okay and had it not been for Craig Samson, we might still have sneaked something from the game. Am obviously disappointed but not overly surprised. As usual, when the fans turn up some of the team do not. At least we never threw away 3 points today.

Also like to say a huge well done to the guy with the drum and the rest of the lads ( and possibly lassies) who made it a great atmosphere this afternoon with some top singing, and even when we were down and out they kept the volume up. Great effort from them. Keep it up folks.

Bring on the Hibees

I suspect our best attacker is Vine. So hopefully when the loan lads settle in he won't be asked to play out of position.

Possibly but he's not a goalscorer, so the problem still remains of who you pair him with. He can play as many neat through balls as he wants but Tade and MacLean will keep missing the chances. I think individually at the moment I probably prefer Vine and Tade but neither scores goals and with Murray Davidson out of the team, Liam Craig is our only goal threat but then he's been shifted into a deeper central role today...

Lomas is right in what he says about wondering where we'd be if we had a goalscorer. The three teams above us have guys who have scored at least fifteen goals and then United and Aberdeen below us have McGinn with fourteen in the league and Daly and Russell with eighteen between them. MacLean, Vine and Tade average three each in the SPL.

Vine has shown a far more instinctive finishing ability than the other two. His finishes against Aberdeen and Celtic were sheer class.

What annoys me is, and this was the case v Aberdeen for sure, is the number of speculative balls into the box were attacked by nobody. What's the point in playing two out and out strikers if they don't attack the ball. They play on the edge of the 18 yard line, and our best scoring chances always seem to fall to Liam, Murray or Millar (who for all his good play couldn't hit a barn door from 18 yards)

As has been said, the reason we are out of the cup is simple. They had a striker who could put the ball away and we did not. Other than that, I thought we played okay and had it not been for Craig Samson, we might still have sneaked something from the game. Am obviously disappointed but not overly surprised. As usual, when the fans turn up some of the team do not. At least we never threw away 3 points today.

Also like to say a huge well done to the guy with the drum and the rest of the lads ( and possibly lassies) who made it a great atmosphere this afternoon with some top singing, and even when we were down and out they kept the volume up. Great effort from them. Keep it up folks.

Bring on the Hibees

Pretty much agree with most of this , we lost because our strikers could not score, there's did!Still any excuse for the Lomas Doubters to warm there axe's eh McD?Fecks sake we played decent, the Manager tried to change it with brave substitutions that never quite came off, but ah wait it must be Lomas fault for trying it eh?Personally i would have left Tade and Doughty on longer, but im not the Manager unlike some(See thread about starting 11)Lomas tried to change it ,it did not work, but i bet the same moaners would have been shouting for subs if he had left it.Dammed if you do,dammed if you dont.

Its the Cup, if you get knocked out in February, well you look forward to the 3rd round in a year.

Concentrate on the League now with no distractions

Oh and by the way we are fifth(5th) best team in Scotland as it stands

Lomas must go right enough, terrible place to be

Hate to see what some folk would have thought of life scraping about at the erse end of the 2nd Div(Lowest League at the time)

Lomas is right in what he says about wondering where we'd be if we had a goalscorer. The three teams above us have guys who have scored at least fifteen goals and then United and Aberdeen below us have McGinn with fourteen in the league and Daly and Russell with eighteen between them. MacLean, Vine and Tade average three each in the SPL.

I think this is what has made this season more frustrating than any I can remember. Yes, we're sitting in a good league position and should be happy with this but it could and should be so much better. In someways it's almost easier to accept being humped opposed to being haunted by games where we've played well and ended up with SFA to show for it.

Pretty much agree with most of this , we lost because our strikers could not score, there's did!Still any excuse for the Lomas Doubters to warm there axe's eh McD?Fecks sake we played decent, the Manager tried to change it with brave substitutions that never quite came off, but ah wait it must be Lomas fault for trying it eh?Personally i would have left Tade and Doughty on longer, but im not the Manager unlike some(See thread about starting 11)Lomas tried to change it ,it did not work, but i bet the same moaners would have been shouting for subs if he had left it.Dammed if you do,dammed if you dont.

Its the Cup, if you get knocked out in February, well you look forward to the 3rd round in a year.

Concentrate on the League now with no distractions

Oh and by the way we are fifth(5th) best team in Scotland as it stands

Lomas must go right enough, terrible place to be

Hate to see what some folk would have thought of life scraping about at the erse end of the 2nd Div(Lowest League at the time)

As a......booooo hiss........ Lomas doubter. Should we just sit quiet and watch the season fizzle out when it promised so much? Out both cups now and all the teams above us have reliable goalscorers and top six will be a struggle I think. Unless these 3 new lads are fairly spectacular. They might be.

Others are right on the players backs. Who brought them in? Who chops and changes the frontline every week?Nobody up front is getting the chance to form a partnership. Ok, Lomas had us on a 5 match winning run but he has had runs where we dont win that are nearly 3 times as long. He might be young, learning his trade etc but why should we suffer while he has an apprenticeship and bitches and moans through every single interview.

I wont convince you and you wont convince me but we are all entitled to an opinion. I wont have a pop at you for yours. We all are passionate about Saints.

Edited by rik2304

Bring on the Hibees

Always happy to get involved but it was great to have so many people up for a sing song.. and also someone who knows how to play along with the drum (even though he supports a half of the old firm!) you would be more than welcome back wee man!

Makes you wonder how he managed to end up at Paisley. Mind you if we had signed him he may not have got off the bench.

Sure it has something to do with a coach who knows Danny Lennon working at Rio Ave and telling him that a loan was a possibilty

Watched the highlights for the first time there. Going by that we were incredibly unlucky to come up against a Goalkeeper in top form, and against a player who's far too good for this league. Played this game a month ago we'd probably have won. MacLeans "sitter" wasn't all that bad, he just sliced across it more than anything. The way everyone was talking I thought he'd been clear through and ballooned it

MacLeans "sitter" wasn't all that bad, he just sliced across it more than anything. The way everyone was talking I thought he'd been clear through and ballooned it

That was exactly what he did. It was awful.

Based on observation, this seems to be what he is most consistent at. How many ways are there to miss a chance? :laugh:

Just watched the highlights there. Couple of absolutely brilliant saves from Samson in the first half as well as a truly awful miss from McLean. On that evidence we should have gone into the break a goal up at least, and how different things would have been.

Couple of tidy goals from Goncalves - he looks a strong, powerful player. With the ability to score goals. Which, sadly, is exactly what we're missing from our XI just now.

To bring back something that was touched upon earlier, I can't get my head around the people on here who say Stevie May isn't good enough for SPL football. On what evidence can they make that claim? He's been out on loan a couple of times and has scored regularly on both occasions. He seems to have an eye for goal that our strikers are completely lacking in.

It may well be that he doesn't cut the mustard in the top league, but I'd definitely give him a chance. He scored SPL goals for us when he was far younger, and has obviously improved as a player since then.

Put it another way, if there was a lad in the SFL who had won Div 3 player of the year and scored 19 in half a season, before going to Division One and scoring nine goals in half a season for Hamilton, there would be large amounts of our fans DEMANDING that we sign him. Look at the furore over Rory McAllister a couple of years back...

As Radford, I think, said, him and Caddis should be far, far more involved than they have been.

Sorry, but I'm on the other side. I reckon the club have been quite correct in sending him out to learn a bit more. His SPL record wasn't particularly good in scoring terms (although I accept he should be a much better player now). Yes he scored goals in the 3rd but there is a world of difference between that and the SPL.

He's got a few goals for Hamilton this season and that bodes well for the future...however, if he had been here I don't see that he would of got a start before the likes of Tade and Vine. Maclean, I suspect, is mainly in the side for what he offers the team rather than goal scoring. He's better going out and building his confidence and then making an impression next season.

As for Caddis, again I don't see how he would dislodge those currently in midfield. As much of a prospect he may be the players in the team are far better players currently.