Saints V Partick Thistle 28/9/13

glenrothes saintee

Derek Ferguson said McLean was playing slightly deeper last night, and stopped Alex Neil getting to dominate the play like he likes to, commended TW for his tactic

I actually think the front 3 were given freedom to drift all over the place. It worked quite well for spells, but then there would be other times when all three would be sitting out on the left wing with no one in the middle. Neil is still a very good player, although Maclean (and the midfielders) were all quick to close him down.

I wasn't there last night, but heard that comment on the radio. Personally I think MacLean is just very good at reading the game and countering other teams creativity high up the pitch. That's why I would be slightly concerned about leaving him out.

He's almost like the holding midfielder, but a holding striker. Most of his good work is subtle but effective.

Hmmm, but then so would Nigel, but he uses his strength to stay on his feet and retain possession, where MacLean seems to be pushed off the ball too easily.

Watching Wright and Anderson closely, it's the nature of defending these days, and a lot goes unpunished that would have been a few years ago. Far more likely to score when you aren't lying on your arse.

Roddy used to be a genius at backing into defenders and winning free kicks for it, but refs favour the defenders far more now.

MacLean has shone in games where defenders have not been overly tight and he's had space to play.

Agree with that.  While I absolutely understand the tactics for the Celtic game, not starting with May sent a message to Celtic players that we weren't really trying to score in the first half.  Had May been playing the lone striker role, he might have been awful, but the whole game might have been different on a psychological level.

Stevie played the lone striker role a lot for Hamilton last season and still scored plenty which I'm afraid non of our other forwards seem capable of.

Likewise, we really need to get the 3 points after a more subdued spell of form recently. It's always going to be dependent on which Saints team turns up. If it's the 'First-half against Celtic XI', we will struggle against a Partick Thistle side who look very neat and pass the ball around well. If it's the 'Second-half against Celtic XI', we should win. My dad was reading an old book about Perth last week which described St Johnstone as 'sometimes playing like Saints and sometimes playing like sheep'. Not much has changed.

Having watched Partick a couple of times this season, I thought they looked very similar to ourselves,  good at passing the ball and capable of impressive movement but ultimately struggling to find the back of the net. Hopefully scoring 3 against Hamilton will have given a boost to our confidence. Stevie May must start this one. Midfield is where Tommy Wright will have to make his most difficult decisions.

Was at the Utd v Partick cup game last night. Looked like Tommy Wright in the main stand taking notes etc. Partick were very quick down the flanks, crossed well and played some slick passes. Mark Kerr was lucky to stay on the pitch with some of his tackles.

Saints need to take the game to them, not sit too far back.

They don't cope well if you can get to the byline or in behind them quickly.

Really need to be up for it from the start, Nigel could cause them problems. Would love to see Stevie play from the start.

COYS let's get going for a 3 point Saturday.

This is gonna be my first Saints game in years as me and the Mrs have finally managed to make a trip to Scotland coincide with a home game. Really looking forward to it!!! As the Mrs was born & bred in Barcelona I hope we can show her that 3000 people can create a better atmosphere than 90 odd thousand in the Camp Nou, with total football to match! if not we'll settle for a committed performance and hopefully 3 points ... COYS

I come on here full of hope & looking forward to the game and man all I see is doom & gloom & MUST win, not winning UNACCEPTABLE , DEFEAT not an option.

Talk it up and stay positive fellas - it's never ever gonna be the end of the world - ye'll get over it by 7pm if the unthinkable happens  :wink:

6-0 Saints  :mrgreen:

I come on here full of hope & looking forward to the game and man all I see is doom & gloom & MUST win, not winning UNACCEPTABLE , DEFEAT not an option.

Talk it up and stay positive fellas - it's never ever gonna be the end of the world - ye'll get over it by 7pm if the unthinkable happens  :wink:

6-0 Saints  :mrgreen:

Spot who got some 'action' last night ^_^