Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

I was never critical of anyone praising the team. Fourth is something to savour. I was trying to point out - clearly too clumsily - that one poster may have been over-enthusiastic about the team's prospects.

It's important to remember that gossamer line between success and failure. Fourth place shouldn't blind us to our team's limitations. There are various reasons why we did well - the positive (great team ethic, sound defence, good manager) - the pieces of good fortune (the Graham dive v ICT ended up critical) - and those things outside our control (the sale of United's best players, the departure of Hamilton's manager and teams like Motherwell turning hopeless).

If those things outside our control had swung against us, there would be people calling for Tommy Wright's head.

My point is we should balance our expectations. In budgetary terms we may be dwarfed by half a dozen teams next year, so I'll be delighted with top six. In Europe (if we get there), we'll still be minnows. We shouldn't expect group stages.

That doesn't mean I don't hope we'll do well. It just means I don't want to take our position for granted. Any Saints fan of reasonable vintage will tell you that would be the route to disappointment.

I don't think anyone is 'expecting' great things though Brogan, i think people just have a degree of hope that it 'might' just be our season next season to do something really memorable.  I'd argue that if ICT win the cup, we might never be in such a positive position in preparation for a season again, and I don't think we ever have before.  An undoubtedly good manager, a solid squad already assembled, more signings to come (with time to make good decisions in that regard) and home gates up 17% on the previous season.  

It could just as easily go tits up and be a disappointment, but even if we lose every game it won't come close to some of the days I've spent watching Saints play in tatty fields in the lower leagues.

I totally get your perspective.  It is worrying too that the increase in support that is trickling in will disappear overnight if we have a bad season.  There's a great deal of pressure on Tommy Wright and the club to keep up the standards achieved over the last 3 years.

I honestly don't think either Hearts or rangers ( and indeed Motherwell) are any better than 7th place. Unless rangers buy in substantially over the summer they are relegation fodder as they stand just now. ( but then again them trying to buy unsustainable success is the root cause of all their problems), so speaking personally I say bring it on and maybe a few years down the line we will be shot of them once and for all, but then again knowing the SFA maybe not

I honestly don't think either Hearts or rangers ( and indeed Motherwell) are any better than 7th place. Unless rangers buy in substantially over the summer they are relegation fodder as they stand just now. ( but then again them trying to buy unsustainable success is the root cause of all their problems), so speaking personally I say bring it on and maybe a few years down the line we will be shot of them once and for all, but then again knowing the SFA maybe not

The Hunz will spend a few bob if they get promoted, fingers crossed for Well to stay up

Agree with Pat  Sevco will be top six and probably second if they can get up this year and keep MCall, after all he took Motherwell there for a couple years on a budget that would be half what he had at Well, here is hoping Motherwell can pip them this year that would be brilliant.  

Ha ha, Tommy Wright to Rangers, that is the least likely bit of football gossip I've heard. Our chances of signing Gareth Bale for free and with no wages is greater.

What makes you so sure? He's a former Linfoeld manager and a Norn friend of mine has referred to them as "the Scrappy Doo to Rangers' Scooby Doo." Hardly a massive leap to assume that's where his allegiances would lie.

Obviously he's a sensible guy and you'd hope the stability and opportunities we're able to provide are enough to keep him but if they throw money at him(which they will) coupled with his (assumed) allegiance then we could be about to lose a great manager! :-/

Sevco are going to have to sell an awful lot of Season Tickets - they will surely be looking for a bigger name than Tommy ? Would be devastated if he did go to them. Really hope this is just pure speculation. :sad:

Rangers shareholder has told me that Rangers are looking to prise the Chuckle Brothers away from Aberdeen