Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

I made an opinion and it was directed to the deflating attitude of our chairmen.

I do not know a  bussiness that does everything possible to takeaway the feel good factor like our beloved St Johnstone. Your answers have been purely one of personel attacks at least Wee John disagreed with dignity and made me think unlike your childish posts.

I am entitled to an opinion and I will stand by the FACT that SB has zero PR and needs to have a wake up call refarding our needs.

3 major signing in June/July would of probably added more bums on seats and dont tell me that they have'nt made money as they clearly have also having Roddy Grant with the cup for say 4 Saturdays with assistants getting names and pressing season tickets with photo op  leading up to our season in the town would also have added bums on seats..

I can go on with regards to proper marketing... Motivating fans etc etc...so why dont you be constructive and create some sort of idea rather than make out all is fantastic with a terrible home support I remember reading on this site how excited someone was when we sold 800 tickets back in june,,, Thats a joke regarding our success...

YOU BUILD ON YOUR SUCCESS NOT DEFLATE IT

What evidence do you have that 3 major signings in July would add bums to seats? We have a small fanbase and that is not going to change whether you like it or not.  If Steve Brown says it's not financially viable to make these signings then who are you to say otherwise?  My answers are not only personal attacks, but I do stand my my statement that you are making a fool of yourself - because you are.  You clearly have a personal issue with the Chairman - why don't you just tell us what this issue is?

PS you asked if he should go - if he does who do you propose takes over?

Edited by jhq

What evidence do you have that 3 major signings in July would add bums to seats? We have a small fanbase and that is not going to change whether you like it or not.  If Steve Brown says it's not financially viable to make these signings then who are you to say otherwise?  My answers are not only personal attacks, but I do stand my my statement that you are making a fool of yourself - because you are.  You clearly have a personal issue with the Chairman - why don't you just tell us what this issue is?

PS you asked if he should go - if he does who do you propose takes over?

I do not have a personel issue with SB at all....

I have an issue with the way he is projecting himself which inevitably projects our team....As far as replacements are concerned well I think we have other bussiness men with far more expertise in PR than SB...However Chairmen are rarely choosen they are usually presenting themselves as Geoff Brown did....

Yet again you attack me but continue to answer if I'm such a fool why do you respond clearly you are interested in this post...

This is probably the best Pre Season post

blueheaven, on 12 Jul 2014 - 08:08, said:snapback.png

I've got no problem with this policy as it stands. There's been a clear change in approach over the last year or so, as we've seen quite a lot of young players arrive from clubs down south, and slot into the under-age sides without really getting anywhere near the first team. This must have represented a fair amount of investment on the club's part, and it only makes sense that Tommy Wright's boss will now want to see that investment bear fruit by seeing these players start to feed through into the first team. As I understand it, that was the reasoning behind releasing Paddy Cregg, after all.

What I have more of a problem with is the way the manager seems to have been left hanging, spending time courting guys like Goodwillie, only to be told that he can't sign anyone at all. As far as pre-season preparations go, that must be massively disruptive. The other big problem is the way these things come out. The first we hear of it publicly is via disgruntled comments from the manager. Then we get it confirmed by the chairman, one week before a massive match, via an incredibly pessimistic interview. We're meant to be trying to attract new fans and new investment, yet one of the key public faces of the club is permanently doom-saying, grimacing and complaining. Who would want to invest in that?

As others have said, this whole thing could very easily have been put across positively as a good news story about a forward thinking, successful football club building on its cup win by throwing funds into an ambitious development of training facilities and, at the same time, putting trust in its promising young players by promoting them to the first team. Oh, and then on top of that we could get announcements of new contracts for our star player and Cup winning manager. The actual events that have taken place would be exactly the same, but it could all be told with so much more positivity. And that's without even mentioning the fact that we're heading back into Europe next week, which perhaps we've grown weirdly used to, but it's still absolutely fantastic for Saints.

Oh, and a new 'Season to Remember' DVD could have been announced as a footnote to some of these positive stories. If only.

I do not have a personel issue with SB at all....

I have an issue with the way he is projecting himself which inevitably projects our team....As far as replacements are concerned well I think we have other bussiness men with far more expertise in PR than SB...However Chairmen are rarely choosen they are usually presenting themselves as Geoff Brown did....

Yet again you attack me but continue to answer if I'm such a fool why do you respond clearly you are interested in this post...

If you have no personal issue with the Chairman, then why the childish name calling?  

You say he should go, but you have no ideas as to who should replace him.  

You say chairmen usually present themselves - have you seen anyone prepared to do this?

You say that 3 major signings would add bums to seats, but you have no evidence to support this.

You said Steve Brown is "ripping the heart out of Saints" - but you have failed to explain what you meant by this statement.

I never said you are a fool - I said you are making a fool of yourself with some of your outbursts on here and I stand by that.

SB is not going anywere unless he gets pissed off and walks away.There is no doubt that Geoff is the biggest influence on the spending philosophy, he is the major shareholder and has every right to influence things. Communication on spending between TW&SB seems to have gone wrong somewhere and the club should put on a united face in public on important issues such as the budget and recruitment policy. It is very simple to create some key messages and for the Directors and manager to stand together behind them. SB is on a steep learning curve and is certainly making mistakes but he will be aware of the feelings of the fans and hopefully he will learn to improve communications and to sell the vision in a more positive way. The board need to sit down,create a vision for the next 3 to 5 years,and communicate that to the fans and then stand by it.

If you have no personal issue with the Chairman, then why the childish name calling?

You say he should go, but you have no ideas as to who should replace him.

You say chairmen usually present themselves - have you seen anyone prepared to do this?

You say that 3 major signings would add bums to seats, but you have no evidence to support this.

You said Steve Brown is "ripping the heart out of Saints" - but you have failed to explain what you meant by this statement.

I never said you are a fool - I said you are making a fool of yourself with some of your outbursts on here and I stand by that.

Yet again you respond all I ever wanted was to create some kind of awareness with the supporters and hopefully the board to show there are some major wrongs with our chairman who in my opinion is not up to the job.

I rest my case

i think i might have strayed off topic,but i feel a wee bit sorry for sb

reasons

1 tw went public about signing 2 or 3 players (no feedback from the board)

2 tw seem to suggest we were close to  dg  this went on for a few days (i was not bothered if we signed him or not) 

3 sb came out and said about how not knowing much money we would get winning the cup,surely the sfa or whoever is charge now, could give a ballpark figure

4 sb now says we will not be signing any players,does that mean we have lost the wages of 3 first team players to be replaced by one young lad (sounds like spare cash to me without cup money)

has the sfa decided not to give us any money or has the major share holder said no signings 

enough of this negativity and focus on winning the cup Scottish not ramsdens and a erou trip to lucerne

Edited by lmsaintee

Okay it's clear I dont like the guys people skills and the way he has quickly taken away the high of our cup winning year. So since were all talking about his style and acheivements let's try and be fair and ask ourselves is he the right man for the job and why oh why should he get credit for what his father has put in place and also what the management have done.

Please this is important I was totally against the guy in the first place however i laid off but the following has to stop.

1. LATE SEASON TICKET RELEASE

2. LATE STRIP RELEASE

3. ZERO CUP WINNING CONTINOUS CELEBRATION

4. NO CUP DVD

5. NO PR... TERRIBLE PR INTERVIEWS

6. NO SESON TICKET PUSH

7. NO TOWN CENTER KIOSK

8. NO NEW SIGNINGS

9. FREE FLIGHTS FOR HIS BEST MATES

I KNOW I CAN GO ON ON ON ON ON BUT LETS SEE SOME OTHER POINTS...

AND IF YOU LIKE SOME POSITIVES

WEAREPERTH CAN WE HAVE A FAN VOTE ABOUT STEVE STEPPING DOWN

Like you most of us were looking for new signings, especially when TW was quoted in the papers saying he needs 2 or 3 new players to kick on from last season. I also agree that SB isn't the greatest when it comes to talking to the media, his if anyone can come up with funds for new players just comes across as a bad attempt at sarcasm(maybe he's learning from us on WAP). I don't think SB should step down though, the majority of the cup winning team are still with us, Brown and Kane are showing that we have some really good youngsters coming through. Would you really want a Marr, Petrie or the likes at the helm? No thanks, it would be the start of the demise of our club. I also think it's strange that you bring this up before we've even started our season, at least wait until we've played the first 11 league games to see where we are, I'd put money on there being teams a lot worse off than we will be. Edited by saintscotty

Okay it's clear I dont like the guys people skills and the way he has quickly taken away the high of our cup winning year. So since were all talking about his style and acheivements let's try and be fair and ask ourselves is he the right man for the job and why oh why should he get credit for what his father has put in place and also what the management have done.

Please this is important I was totally against the guy in the first place however i laid off but the following has to stop.

1. LATE SEASON TICKET RELEASE

2. LATE STRIP RELEASE

3. ZERO CUP WINNING CONTINOUS CELEBRATION

4. NO CUP DVD

5. NO PR... TERRIBLE PR INTERVIEWS

6. NO SESON TICKET PUSH

7. NO TOWN CENTER KIOSK

8. NO NEW SIGNINGS

9. FREE FLIGHTS FOR HIS BEST MATES

I KNOW I CAN GO ON ON ON ON ON BUT LETS SEE SOME OTHER POINTS...

AND IF YOU LIKE SOME POSITIVES

WEAREPERTH CAN WE HAVE A FAN VOTE ABOUT STEVE STEPPING DOWN

Is this not treason? A Saintee before we were known by this term, I am just pleased to have a team to support and follow. There have been a few ups and many downs in my 55 years as a fan but we are on an up now and have been for a few years.

Ì believe that the current Chairman stood on the terraces as a boy so is a true fan. He will have OUR clubs interests in his heart so let him get on with it. If we turn into relegation fodder, and it would not be for the first time, then lets get torn into him but until then lets see how the season pans out before we kick him the proverbials.

Why pay top money for journeyman when you can develop your own?

This is the major problem with Scottish football, fans do not allow youths time to come into the first team, make mistakes and learn. They tend to be moaned and groaned at by fans that some do not even know how to play the game. No wonder young Gauld from United moved to Europe, European teams revere their youth players especially if they are local lads.

In the next 3-5 years for me progress will be Saints vying for Europe, winning a cup and playing 3,4 or 5 home grown players in their first team.

My nightmare is the Rangers coming back and because of more money in the budget we go back to paying top dollar on duds meaning nurturing youths will be secondary again.

Is this not treason? A Saintee before we were known by this term, I am just pleased to have a team to support and follow. There have been a few ups and many downs in my 55 years as a fan but we are on an up now and have been for a few years.

Ì believe that the current Chairman stood on the terraces as a boy so is a true fan. He will have OUR clubs interests in his heart so let him get on with it. If we turn into relegation fodder, and it would not be for the first time, then lets get torn into him but until then lets see how the season pans out before we kick him the proverbials.

Agree

This thread isn't really my place, but as a Pars fan, i've always considered St J to be a fairly similar sort of club as DAFC. A bit of a yoyo team with a few thousand hardcore fans based in a town plagued by Old Firm supporting morons.  

Never a team who will win the league, but one which will take any cup final appearances or top six finish as a fairly significant achievement. The Pars did this back in the 2000's. But as we now know that was thanks to financial shenanigans. Now we are suffering for that.

St J in my mind are a team which has been run prudently and sensibly, and as an outsider looking in, it looks to me that you lot are living the dream. Consecutive top six finishes, a Scottish cup win, consecutive seasons in the 'Europapokal' and best of all, a trip to LU. Punching above your weight a bit, no? Why all the whinging?

Well said JCBT, it's good that an outsider can see what many so called Saints supporters cannot. Many on here not happy unless whinging about the club and the board. We have had probably the best three years in our history, and one of the most sensible chairmen in Scotland at our helm. If he would rather spend money on infrastructure, youth and contract offers for May and Tommy Wright than new players at this time, and not plunge the club into debt then that's good enough for me

Almost every (sane poster with no axe to grind),appreciates that the last few years have been excellent.

The Brown family have done an excellent job with St Johnstone there can be no denying it.

However,nobody is perfect and it is right for people to criticise when criticism is justified.

I cannot understand why some feel that everything the club does is beyond questioning and everyone employed at the club (apart from the players/management),is some kind of diety.

Well said JCBT, it's good that an outsider can see what many so called Saints supporters cannot. Many on here not happy unless whinging about the club and the board. We have had probably the best three years in our history, and one of the most sensible chairmen in Scotland at our helm. If he would rather spend money on infrastructure, youth and contract offers for May and Tommy Wright than new players at this time, and not plunge the club into debt then that's good enough for me

Good enough for me too.

Almost every (sane poster with no axe to grind),appreciates that the last few years have been excellent.

The Brown family have done an excellent job with St Johnstone there can be no denying it.

However,nobody is perfect and it is right for people to criticise when criticism is justified.

I cannot understand why some feel that everything the club does is beyond questioning and everyone employed at the club (apart from the players/management),is some kind of diety.

Good point well made.

While the OP maybe went over the top, in my mind, there is things that could have been done better over the summer and hopefully the club learns from them and in future a little better at communication.

Yes, we have been and hopefully will continue to be in a great spell, but we do need to keep progressing off and on the pitch.

Would love to see more youths given the chance in the first team and hope that it works.

Like many, can't help but feel a bit deflated with what SB had to say. Appreciate the message, but could have had a whole lot more positive spin on it.