Infrastructure

St Mikey

Since the playing squad is on its knees with regards cover and injuries and we won't get money for a couple better players.

What have fellow WAPers noticed of the money spent on infrastructure?

New bog roll holders in the lavvies? Lick of paint in the changing rooms??

Answers on a postcard.

Since the playing squad is on its knees with regards cover and injuries and we won't get money for a couple better players.

What have fellow WAPers noticed of the money spent on infrastructure?

New bog roll holders in the lavvies? Lick of paint in the changing rooms??

Answers on a postcard.

There was a pretty detailed list posted a few months back.

Squad on it's knees??......bench full of players with decent 1st team experience, another one in the stand....you'll wet yourself when we have to play a couple of U21's like everyone else has to do.

Who is responsible for the catering at McDiarmid?

Yesterday, at the kiosk at the North Stand end of the East Stand they had sold out of pies and soup by half time and did not have any tea bags left! I think this also for them as well.

Surely someone needs to look into this as the club are missing out on income. Whoever is in charge of the catering must have a rough idea of what stock they need for each game.

Ghostie, did you not speak to the club about this before? Whats was their reply? Did anything change?

If the squad is fully fit, as some suggest, why was our left back Easton not playing, and if he wasn't plsyingbthrn why not Scobbie as a natural replacement?? Instead Lappin who was caught out all game. As for Macca he's not match fit, Brian Graham is a loan player, Faddy has one pace all game.

Catering is poor and changes need to be made for the fans experience. Selling out of food is not just a one game occurrence either.

Not being funny but if all our expenditure is going elsewhere surely most would like to see progress.

Who is responsible for the catering at McDiarmid?

Yesterday, at the kiosk at the North Stand end of the East Stand they had sold out of pies and soup by half time and did not have any tea bags left! I think this also for them as well.

Surely someone needs to look into this as the club are missing out on income. Whoever is in charge of the catering must have a rough idea of what stock they need for each game.

Ghostie, did you not speak to the club about this before? Whats was their reply? Did anything change?

Not just yesterday, Aitchy. The last 3 home games there have been no pies or hot food left 30 mins into the game. One of my mates went to get a steak and chorizo pie before kick off at either the Inverness or United game and was told they'd sold out already, as they only received 5 of them to start with!!!!! 

From the lack of stock to the time it takes to get served, the catering really is shambolic and is surely losing the club income.

changes need to be made for the fans experience.

Not just at Saints, but throughout Scottish Football the "matchday experience" is utterly woeful.

Some people will argue that you dont go to the football to sing or make a day of things and that you are just there to watch the game, but to me that is an outdated concept. In this day and age whereby there are so many other forms of entertainment in society, Scottish football clubs need to raise their game significantly otherwise more and more will walk away from the game.

As recent as a few seasons ago, I used to go to every match home and away, but recently I have just stuck to attending the home matches and pick and choosing the away games I go to. And to be fair, if it wasnt for having my season ticket, I would also be a lot more selective about the home games I attend. The reason for this? Ive just had enough of the way you get treated at the games.

Take attending a game at McDiarmid as an example. You arrive at the stadium and there are a line of stewards waiting outside the turnstiles asking to search you, just in case you may have a plastic bottle in your possession. You get into the ground and think you might treat yourself to a nice warm pie, only to be told they have sold out of them before the game has even began! You then take your seat and start watching the game, but by god, dont even think about standing up and signing or shouting, because before you know it a group of stewards will surround you and start telling you to calm down. You think to yourself, ahh I would like an alcoholic beverage, only to then remeber that the powers that be dont trust you to have a couple of pints, yet in the same stadium the Chairmen, directors and fat cats ply themselves with alcohol.

Look at our recent game against Aberdeen at Pitoddrie. Our fans were told where to sit and anyone that did not obey this was removed. Then after the game our fans were kept in the ground for 15 minutes, without an explanation! Its madness.

To be honest, its a joke and the only thing the keeps it going is that for most of us supporting our team is in our blood and we cant face not going.

I did notice new signage in the East Stand on Sunday. In the Main Stand all the toilet floors have been painted. While these are not exactly budget busting expenses all these small things do still mount up and go virtually unnoticed.

This season has as far as I can see the club have taken the view (justified in my opinion) that we are not in danger of relegation so will invest in the stadium, which let us not forget is now 25 years old.

Yes the Hamilton game was poor for several reasons which have been covered pretty well on the match thread, but 2 poor results should not mean we are doomed.

I also fully accept the stewards leave a lot to be desired, I did notice the female steward beside me have a little chuckle to herself when the crowd started singing G4S  w*** w*** W***

Not just at Saints, but throughout Scottish Football the "matchday experience" is utterly woeful.

Some people will argue that you dont go to the football to sing or make a day of things and that you are just there to watch the game, but to me that is an outdated concept. In this day and age whereby there are so many other forms of entertainment in society, Scottish football clubs need to raise their game significantly otherwise more and more will walk away from the game.

As recent as a few seasons ago, I used to go to every match home and away, but recently I have just stuck to attending the home matches and pick and choosing the away games I go to. And to be fair, if it wasnt for having my season ticket, I would also be a lot more selective about the home games I attend. The reason for this? Ive just had enough of the way you get treated at the games.

Take attending a game at McDiarmid as an example. You arrive at the stadium and there are a line of stewards waiting outside the turnstiles asking to search you, just in case you may have a plastic bottle in your possession. You get into the ground and think you might treat yourself to a nice warm pie, only to be told they have sold out of them before the game has even began! You then take your seat and start watching the game, but by god, dont even think about standing up and signing or shouting, because before you know it a group of stewards will surround you and start telling you to calm down. You think to yourself, ahh I would like an alcoholic beverage, only to then remeber that the powers that be dont trust you to have a couple of pints, yet in the same stadium the Chairmen, directors and fat cats ply themselves with alcohol.

Look at our recent game against Aberdeen at Pitoddrie. Our fans were told where to sit and anyone that did not obey this was removed. Then after the game our fans were kept in the ground for 15 minutes, without an explanation! Its madness.

To be honest, its a joke and the only thing the keeps it going is that for most of us supporting our team is in our blood and we cant face not going.

I agree with yer post totally.like you I have made inroads in selecting away matches to attend .once upon a time I never missed any if I wasn't working.it hurts but it gets easier.for home games am still attending as many as I can at the moment.

As for pittodrie,having experienced there 'New Years day experience ' I have made a decision.

There are already two grounds I won't attend unless it's a cup tie.I have now added pittodrie to the list.fuq them .

Agree totally that the match day experience is very poor. It has been for years. Poor facilities, treated like scum often and generally overcharged at every opportunity for the privilege.

However, I do think that clubs have wisened up to this recently. I think most clubs have recognised that they need to raise their game. There may not be action by most on it, but it is recognised. Clubs are looking to bring alcohol and standing back to matches and there are more ticket options like the £15 at saints (not enough granted). Where I think this isn't being helped is the authorities. Those running the game aren't doing enough, neither is police etc.

It may take some time and it may well end up being too little too late, but I genuinely think we have turned a corner. Clubs have more power over players and in turn, fans have more of a control on clubs, which can only be a good thing.

I'm maybe in a minority, but I'd rather saints spent £50k fixing some things around the stadium rather than bring in some journeymen on a decent wage for a few months and not play them. After all, as someone said, McD is 25 years old, it will require a lot of maintenance, most of which will not be overly visible.

Edited by TheYellowBox

Please don't bring alcohol back to football games, literally no good will come of it. If you can't stomach 90 minutes without a drink in your hand you've got a serious issue.

Really?? In my opinion if someone is likely to drink around football, they will neck pints in the pub before hand an then walk to the ground. I'd much rather for safety sake that people go in sober and were drinking in a controlled environment with police and stewards around etc. plus saints would make some money on it.

The days of fans getting tanked up and going to the football is long gone, but folk would go and have a single beer with a pie etc.

Most of us have probably been to games in England or Rugby where you can buy a beer and it really doesn't mean loads of drunk folk or would even be hard to introduce.

If clubs get trouble at games, then remove their licences, but don't punish all clubs for the actions of a few.

Alcohol alone at game will make very little difference in terms of profits for clubs etc, but it should be part of a wider enhancement to the experience.

For a club like saints, there really is no valid argument I can see not to introduce it.

Edited by TheYellowBox

Unfortunately you're right. You look at the sport of darts.. Look at the crowds, the buzz. Every second person on fb has been going on about it the past few days. It's ****ing darts!!!!

And yet our national sport we struggle to entice people in. We make everything surrounding the game as much of a hassle as we can.

The catering is poor, they always run out of some or all types of hot food. Would a few plastic forks or spoons be too much to ask. I'd like the head of catering to eat a jug of gravy with his fingers just to show me how it's done!!

Agree with Craig though, I really don't see where this recent obsession with bringing back alcohol has come from.. As if this will solve all footballs ills and bring back atmosphere. More than likely it would be pish in a plastic cup, I don't think not being able to buy a beer between 2.30 - 5pm is a massive issue to most fans, could be wrong though...

Unfortunately you're right. You look at the sport of darts.. Look at the crowds, the buzz. Every second person on fb has been going on about it the past few days. It's ****ing darts!!!!

And yet our national sport we struggle to entice people in. We make everything surrounding the game as much of a hassle as we can.

The catering is poor, they always run out of some or all types of hot food. Would a few plastic forks or spoons be too much to ask. I'd like the head of catering to eat a jug of gravy with his fingers just to show me how it's done!!

Agree with Craig though, I really don't see where this recent obsession with bringing back alcohol has come from.. As if this will solve all footballs ills and bring back atmosphere. More than likely it would be pish in a plastic cup, I don't think not being able to buy a beer between 2.30 - 5pm is a massive issue to most fans, could be wrong though...

Agree that alcohol will not be some magic cure, I just think that it along with a whole load of other things will help.

What clubs need to do is give fans more choice. In my view, beer or no beer, the earlier you can get fans into a ground, the more money will be made and a better atmosphere too.

To do that though, I think saints and others need to invest a but more to entice folk in.

Almost every other form of entertainment can generate interest and atmosphere from very little, as you say darts being the prime example of turning something fairly boring into a great spectacle.

Imagine if those in charge of darts basically said that it was crap and diminished, just because Phil Taylor wasn't involved? they'd promote the hell out of everyone else, whereas in our national game, it is actively downplayed by those paid to promote it.