The Scott Brown conundrum.

rik2304

I've generally been impressed by Brown in a Saints shirt and bar one mistake in Europe he's not done much wrong when given an opportunity.

Last night he was excellent and showed he could easily be a regular starter imo.

However.........he's been readily dropped by TW and often goes months without getting near the first team and had a very unimpressive loan spell with Dumbarton.

So what happens next? Does he get a real opportunity or does he become another Liam Caddis?

Hopefully he gets a contract as we know what we get from him & anyone else we bring in could be hit or a miss. I only remember one misplassed pass as the limit of his poor games.  Tommy doesn't seem to rate him or fell out with him as he has only played him when we were down to the bare bones.

We have had a good season financially so I would imagine an up to £30,000 wage for a proven utility player would be a good punt.

Bearing in mind Caddis got another one year deal last Summer, then it should be a no-brainer.

I'm not convinced he'll ever be a standout for us, to the level Muzz and Millar can be, but I'm not convinced he won't either. He's a couple of months younger than Kane, and a couple of months older than Thomson, who both got deals until 2018, and I'd say he looks more comfortable at this level than Thomson has. 

In other words I reckon he should be worth at least a one year deal simply because hes got plenty of room for progression on top of the fact hes looked good enough to cope at this level so would be confirmed back up anyway.

I think he needs to play games on a regular basis, Look how Fisher came on by being allowed to continue to play every week, he looks the type who would get better every week with games, definitely worth a new deal but only if we are prepared  to play him a good number of games and build up his confidence. Still do not know of a footballer who improved sitting in the Stand.        

I think he needs to play games on a regular basis, Look how Fisher came on by being allowed to continue to play every week, he looks the type who would get better every week with games, definitely worth a new deal but only if we are prepared  to play him a good number of games and build up his confidence. Still do not know of a footballer who improved sitting in the Stand.        

spot on CH, it's amzing what a wee bit of confidence can do for a young player

No, no , no not Paul Paton. Sorry but don't think he will offer us very much apart from fight, he does not have the vision for that forward pass. Yes, he will give dig and strength  but he can't  play that attacking through pass to the strikers  Squarie Pates, would rather have Brown.

Edited by Jad
spelling

I'd far rather we gave Brown another season than bringing in Paton. I really don't like Paton as a character and I don't think he's worth replacing a potentially good player for the future.

I really do think Brown could be a hit here, far better than Caddis and rarely puts a poor show in when in the side.

I don't think Tommy trusts him defensively and that's why he's been out of the picture. Showed up well against Celtic, but I suspect the defensive side of his game will let him down. If Paton is coming in then unless we are releasing the likes of Lappin, Brown will just be further down the pecking order.

Would like to see him stay on, but won't be surprised to read he has been released.

I'd rather keep Brown than sign Paton and give the younger boy the chance plus difference in salary.

TW might be waiting to see if Alston/Dow situation is clearer but even though I'd sign Brown on another deal as I think a full preseason and more game time would benefit him. 

Or just go feck it and sign everyone. 

Until the last 2 games, I would've said Brown should definitely be released. But his performances against Celtic and Motherwell were his best for Saints so far imo. His positioning certainly seems to have improved, particularly defensively, as have his fitness levels. He tired in the second half against Celtic and dropped out of the game a bit, but that's perfectly understandable given his limited game time. I'm starting to lean towards giving him next season to stake his claim as back up/competition for Midge. 

Really is turning into Caddis MK2, isn't he? Solid enough when called upon but will always have others above him in the pecking order.

He's still only 21, and won't be earning top dollar, so I can see us keeping him unless he tells tells the boss that he wants to move on to get regular first team games. But to be honest I'm not entirely sure he's bright enough to have that conversation.