Dave Mackay

livi saint

Standard from Brown.

There is dour.

There is a dour c*nt.

Then there is Steve Brown.

What more can SB say??? You can't just create a coaching role for someone that hasn't got his certifications. SB said the club will do everything possible to assist & support him, keep him involved at the club weekdays & game days. I wouldn't be surprised if the club are trying to organise a testimonial as we speak, but we're early in the season & timings, never mind opposition will be complicated.

Unfair comment on SB.

As for Dave's contract, I'd be surprised if he's still on his player's wages. He retired after all, so his players contract will most likely be void. But he'll have insurance & no doubt the club will assist financially. He just needs his badges, coaching experience etc. A club legend/ great guy etc doesn't necessarily equate to a good coach, or manager down the track. I'd like a mural (minus the GoPro) & testimonial. 

The club will help him achieve his badges.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

Very sad that we won't see Dave leading the Saints out again. He's been fantastic these last few years and his sheer presence had a reassuring effect. Would love to see him continue to have a role with the club. Best of luck for the future, agree that we need to celebrate his achievements somehow.

Well all good things come to an end?

Dave McKay epitomised for me everything you would want in a Saints player. 

The esteem in which he is held by all who played with or against him is evident, and totally deserved.

The player of the year award, the day after the cup final, he was standing in a corner with the cup & a queue of fans were waiting to be pictured with Dave & the cup. One fan said 'you'll be getting fed up standing there?' Dave replied ' I could stand here all night' Summed up the moment for me & how much it meant to him to have won the cup! 

Don't be sad, we have had the benefit of a great clubman, and he is able to leave with the sound of praise in his ears, having played in the most successful Saints team we have had or likely have again, not many players will be that lucky....

Good luck Mr McKay...

Good luck Dave in what ever way your future takes you I am sure the professionalism he has shown throughout his career will enable him to be success at what ever he does,

I must admit that a thought of gloom/doom has descended on me over our future though, a bit like when you realise you are 46 years old and not 23 :shock:.any more. Dave was a great player for us a stalwart we have so far found it difficult to replace like for like (Not having a go at Foster or anyone else here just the difficulty in finding a equal replacement !) My doom thoughts is this may now be a procession of similar replacements required over the next couple of seasons, and difficulty in bringing in equal replacements. Midge, Macca, Ando, spring to mind, we still in my opinion have not got Fraz equally replaced yet.   

Sorry for the gloom on Dave's page, Tomorrow is another day and game someone somewhere is the new Dave McKay, Midge ,Ando, Macca, Fraz, we just need to find them as we did in the past. For **** sake hope TW stays for a few years yet that would be black out times :laugh: . onwards and upwards as they say.  

We have certainly been blessed with some superb full backs in my time supporting Saints, just a few coming to mind are Kenny Thomson, Don McVicar, Callum Davidson, Mark Treanor and Mr St Johnstone himself Dave MacKay.

Probably missed a few, but how blessed have we been.

Good luck with whatever the future holds!!

Guest ScottMann

I think 10 years is needed for a length of service testimonial but it's different when a player's had to retire through injury. I'm sure I've seen some of those over the years. Even if we aren't allowed a testimonial a 'celebration of Dave's career' game would be good.

I've been pleasantly amazed at the amount of coverage this has received, even leading the BBC website for a while until a Rangers story came along. It's been good to see the respect he's held in by non-Saints people. 

We have certainly been blessed with some superb full backs in my time supporting Saints, just a few coming to mind are Kenny Thomson, Don McVicar, Callum Davidson, Mark Treanor and Mr St Johnstone himself Dave MacKay.

Probably missed a few, but how blessed have we been.

Good luck with whatever the future holds!!

Preston Bollan n McQuillan too