St Johnstone V Hamilton 28/01/2017

tucker

Thank goodness for Cummins (not often you get to say that!).

Dreadful first half and we got opener at the right time, would have been a different game entirely if they hadn't blown a great chance just before. Delighted for Cummins, hopefully that gives him much needed boost. Thought Alston had blown the chance for the second but did really well to set the goal up.

After the first half I would have taken any goal, never mind three.

If there was ever a game of two halves, that was it. First half was turgid shite at best. Hamilton could easily have been 2 or even 3 up but for some smart saves by big Zander and some pish poor finishing. I can't actually recall saints having a shot on target. It was that bad. It was eye bleeding stuff. The only entertaining bit of the first half came when a group of about 8 Hamilton fans suddenly started singing just beside us. They were advised to go doon the far end i...f they wanted some action as us old buggers just had a bit of light hearted banter with them. That was until they broke into a chorus of " we hate Dundee more than you". They were firmly told that they had " taken that too far" LAUGH OUT LOUD. A few minutes later the cavalry arrived in the form of Taysides finest and they were huckeled oot of the east stand.

Perhaps some strong words from the manager at half time, because saints came out and instantly looked better. The tempo was much higher, the aggression was evident and the team looked up for it. That said, Hamilton had a great chance to take the lead when Crawford had a clear sight of goal but somehow managed to put the ball wide. Credit possibly to Easton for doing just enough to unbalance him. From then on, there was only gonna be one winner. Mr offside finally cracked it. A great corner, fizzed in from Swanson, was met by the goal shy number 29's head and bulleted in. 6 minutes later and he had 2. Good work by Alston after it looked like he'd ****ed it up led to a cross ball and Cummins was there to tap it in. Unbelievable scenes Jeff. The icing on the cake was a great header from Muzz that went in off the base of the post. All in all a great 3 points but we really do need to play for a full 90 minutes. Had that been a better side than Hamilton, we would have beaten before half time. Great to see Cummins finally get it right but one swallow a summer does not make and I hope he can now take it forward and start putting in similar performances week in week out. Sadly, the ref was again ****ing hopeless.. Finally well done to the club for the #paintitblue project. The crowd was up almost 700 on the last game against Accies.. COYS

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

What an absolute f'kin dik 

Every Saints fan will be delighted Zippy scored, and twice to boot

Thats him onto 4 for the season. Still a way to go before for once you can actually claim to know best

I really can't believe what a pathetic, yet predictable, post that was

RG defended a guy and said he would come good, his next start he scores a double. Quite right to gloat tbqf. Zippy. <3 

Hopefully Cummins can prove me wrong by scoring plenty goals I still feel he doesn't score near enough goals thought Blair Alston starting to show promise really attacked hard giving Hamilton little chance to clear sometimes,not a fan of Paton felt muzz was doing double the work to keep us in the game very slow no pace,

Brutal first half but to be fair to Cummins he deserved pass marks as he won every flick on. Most players were off the pace unfortunately but the defence was OK.  Clark was good too.

Second half we probably got lucky with Crawford missing a sitter but then took full advantage and were very clinical. Cummins deserved his goals and Davidson was a top class header. Coasted it in the end. Alston deserves credit too for a strong showing. 

Thought Hamilton looked really good as well. Crawford and Mackinnon are good players.  The latter had a great game. Defensively they are hopeless though, that's why they are where they are. 

Zippy was always getting into positions where he was either caught offside or on the end of a ball into the box/final third.

First game of the season up at Elgin he missed three one on ones with the keeper before scoring.

He was always going to manage to score a few. Good for him, hope he goes on from here.

Great win after a tough first half. I suspected the game would pan out like this and anyone who watched the same fixture last year at this time must have been thinking - turgid 0-0. 

Nice goal after the break changed the whole match and as soon as Hammy came out of their "bunker" we were nailed on to win comfortably. Tommy's game plan was spot on.

Some points up for discussion:

Swany was awful and off the pace all game - maybe the heavy pitch.

Ando - we need to spend our transfer budget on some bionic parts for him - most underrated central defender in the game in Scotland. Real Shame he couldn't have got a Cap for the national team.

Alston - Starting to see him really shine now - next year he will be a huge star for us- better butter up that contract.

Cummins - Some dope on here has repeatedly called in to question his contribution and quality for the cause. Now that he has regained his fitness similar to last year he is a great lead forward for us. The goals were a great boost for him and hopefully he can kick on and give us a great season.

Depth in squad; if anything this season should teach us is that having a great depth to the squad is the difference in staying up the pointy end of the league instead of looking over our shoulder. Paton is a great example - never liked him when he suited up for the Terrors but he lends real steel to the midfield even if it is very laborious. Muzz and him are not great in the same trenches but this just confirms my point about having good depth.

Happy tonight and a nice adult beverage is the order of the day.

Police Scotland. What a load of dicks.

A few 14 year olds have a fight at the main stand and they shut a thousand fans & kids behind s gate.

Have they learned nothing from Hillsborough.

Was stuck in the East stand trying to get out. Seen the yellow jackets and police car but nothing else once exited.  Wonder if the Accies young team leaving immediately after the pyro were the culprits. I said that to my mate, look they are on their way round.. Surely the 'scuffles' outside the East could have been prevented with proper policing. Quick enough tear about fans inside. Were the police complacent?

Poor first half and a better team than Hamilton would have punished us. 2nd half much better. Once we got in front Accies crumbled.

Foster just looks good every game now and we looked increasingly steady at the back as the game went on. Swanson not great, but him and Easton were on different wavelengths the whole game. Alston got better as the 2nd half went on, but was arguably our worst player in the first.

3-0 a fair result, but we need to be better from the off or better teams will hurt us.

The best compliment I can give the team is that we were much the better team without really needing to hit top gear.

Interesting to note, for loosing/missing arguably two of our best players over the last 20 years in Captain Dave and Mannus from our starting 11, we don't look any weaker in those 2 positions than at any point over this great period. Looking at today's starting team, only Ando, Easton, Davidson and Macca survive from the cup winning team. Consistency in play, approach, mentality and spirit, but not as much in personnel at you might think.

The Ormond Stand was busier yes, we were just saying that on the way out our deal is great the free kids etc etc, However the visiting kids at School a wee footie practise a wee sing song and then the free ticket to take home and say to their parents can I go to this maybe is still a good option, whilst  I do not want to advocate the time share type selling techniques, possibly some advising that this can be a more frequent occasion by a parent and two child season ticket for £16 a game. 

Today proved a little bit of initiative and relatively low cost production got a good response

well done Saints      

Edited by Center Half

Further to what others have said, today was worthwhile for the club. I for one was swithering over going or not. Basically, I have the same auto immune condition as Venus Williams and I've been really struggling with it the last couple of weeks. Decided yesterday I didn't want to miss out on the blue party and the £10 shirt was the clincher!

Agree with all the comments here commending the club for their efforts in promoting the Hamilton game.

Hopefully if they can make some of the offers available on a regular basis, as well as investing in the publicity, then we can encourage a more consistent fan base through the gates week in week out, and hopefully push the 4000 barrier when the warmer months kick in.

Great effort by Saints, and long may it continue.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie