Player contracts and transfers

David123

Seems odd. You have to assume that one of our defensive options at Central defence or right back are moving on or are more severely injured than expected as I thought we were well covered. Shame for guys like Comrie/Gordon/Gilchrist etc, the former two having terrific games against Bradford.

This suggests that Dave MacKay is perhaps finished, but with Watson about to start training, and Brad McKay showing up well in the Centre, this smacks a bit of a panic buy, unless Scobbie is also expected to be out for longer than first thought.

This will allow Joe to move into Centre back, if he plays Foster, but would mean McKay potentially losing out again.

A fairly steady player, but wouldn't have been a position that I thought we needed strengthening at the moment.

What happens just now if Joe picks up an injury?  As things stand we are playing one of our two best centre backs at right back, because he's the only fit player who can play there.  It might be a panic buy to an extent, but he's a decent player who can play at right back, left back or right midfield. and is likely to allow Joe to play centre back more consistently.  Much as Brad has impressed, and deserves to be in line with Scobbie for centre back, Joe and Ando HAVE to be first choice there.  

Joe coming back in to CH with Ando for tomorrow might be the difference between containing Celtic and not.

Can only imagine the injury to Scobbie has scared us into signing him given he can play left or right back. If Easton or Joe gets injured at the mo, then we have a problem.

As mentioned, reading between the lines it doesn't sound good for Mackay. 

Also, you would imagine that takes a wee bit out of the budget for a striker, which is one we really need to fill and fill well (not just a Fallon etc) before the window.

Another signing that shows why Tommy's teams are so effective over the course of a season.

We are built on a solid defensive unit. He won't risk being short of cover if he can help it.

Whilst we all want a new striker, we have enough goals spread out over the squad to get us results-a threadbare defence would cancel any pluses an additional striker would bring in.

I don't think this is a panic buy as the manager has been on record as looking for another defender. The hints were that it would be a centre back and whilst we maybe do lack a Wright or Duberry type in there, we are heavily stocked but lighter at full back; Foster will provide cover on both sides. We saw with Fisher last season (whose signing was greeted similarly) that depth in all areas is invaluable. I think dominant centre backs are hard to find and if Wright couldn't identify one within budget then an experienced and safe option like Foster is a decent signing.

Getting Foster in now also clears the water with regards moving for a striker, the club know exactly how much they have to play with as it's the only signing we need. If they can avoid getting drawn into the scramble of the last few days then it will have been a good window I think.

Guest ScottMann

He seems to like a card. 3 games this season and 3 yellows. Hope he can hold off a suspension until Dave or Watson gets fit.

I looks like a strange one from Ross County's point of view. Appears to have been a regular for them, including playing in the Highland derby on Saturday. Suddenly he's off to us until the end of the season with no fee apparently involved. Wonder if he wanted to move south for family reasons!

Well we'll receive 250k next week when Celtic hopefully qualify for champ league, that's wages for 2 first team players

Is there anywhere that actually quantifies it.  All I can find is that the last time they qualified, £1.5m was shared among the other 11 teams.  If there is any windfall this time, Doncaster has probably promised it all to Sevco anyway.

giphy.gif

No Saints spend a lot of money on their youth system but even when they show promise they never get a sniff at the first team. Now we have signed a has been that never was so assume Comrie & McKay will be loaned out again.

I know it got them relegated but the Arabs made a lot of money by bringing through youngsters.

I young players see that there is no path to the first team then they will not sign.

Cue, the question Do you want top 6 or bottom 6. I want top 6 & am sure we can do it with a couple of you've guys getting a few games .

Look what happened to Zander. Played 4 games at tail end of season & never put a foot wrong but has been dropped for a keeper who is not as good.

No Saints spend a lot of money on their youth system but even when they show promise they never get a sniff at the first team. Now we have signed a has been that never was so assume Comrie & McKay will be loaned out again.

I know it got them relegated but the Arabs made a lot of money by bringing through youngsters.

I young players see that there is no path to the first team then they will not sign.

Cue, the question Do you want top 6 or bottom 6. I want top 6 & am sure we can do it with a couple of you've guys getting a few games .

Look what happened to Zander. Played 4 games at tail end of season & never put a foot wrong but has been dropped for a keeper who is not as good.

And what a mess the team is. And what a badly run club we are. And what an awful manager we have,

Some folk love the negatives.

Playing young players before they are ready is stupid. There has been zero evidence that any of the young players are ready for the top league.

Thomson for example has looked totally out of place and he is probably the closest.

Seeing how they develop on loan is the best bet imo and worked perfectly well with Stevie May.

There is a case for Clark but he has had an opportunity and I have no reason to doubt that he will again should the performance of Mannus drop again.

It seems to me that the Clark situation has given Mannus a boot up the arse and he has performed well so far. He's even come for crosses more.

For what it's worth plenty of County fans are very unhappy about Foster leaving which is a good sign.

How would a young player feel if he's chucked in because of injuries and gets utterly roasted by a Scott Sinclair or Niall McGinn?

Edited by rik2304