Taxi For Davidson

George Grieve

3 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

Stevie May - legend but cheerio.

Callum Davidson - legend but cheerio.

Can’t say I disagree with this post, other teams have made the change and are reaping immediate rewards, Maloney in at hibs comes to mind.

I think we are all immensely proud that our wee club has always stuck by our managers to an extent but enough is enough… I fear that if we don’t turn this around and go down it could be a very long time to get back up again.

on a plus point though we aren’t cut adrift yet so a couple of positive results would move us up again and the confidence that would bring us would be priceless.

21 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Top of the list is Stevie May who may has been a complete waste of space since re-signing. He'll be getting a good salary, that of two players is my guess, and we have gone and brought up English academy players who are just not ready for a Premier League.

I'm not sure I'd list May as one of the worst offenders. It's not as if the rest of the team is creating chances for him which he keeps missing. He spends most of the game tracking back and coming deep to try to get the ball, because if he didn't he'd never get a touch. But it means that when he does get the ball he's nowhere near goal and we either lose it or go backwards.

That said, sometimes I think a striker needs to look up, take more initiative and make things happen for themselves by being a bit more positive and drive forward when they get the ball. I feel like I've seen glimpses of Eetu being that sort of player when he's been on the pitch, but May just isn't going to give us that. I don't think he has the legs for it any more. And he's never been someone who has thrived on crosses, even during his most prolific season. Which does leave me wondering if there's room for him in the team any more. 

With the options we have at the moment, I'd like to see us start a game with a Kane, Viv and Eetu frontline, but I have no idea what Davidson actually thinks of as his preferred attack (or midfield, come to think of it).

Letting Kerr & McCann go on the last day of the transfer window was a big mistake & we were left looking for loans /& frees to replace them. Obviously Kerr was in a strong posiition as he could sign a PCA in Jan so getting £600k for him was probably the best we could do. However McCann had 2 yrs left on his contract & SB should've made it clear to him & his agent that if we didn't get at least £2m  he was going nowhere. Yes he would've been unhappy but other clubs don't cave in like us.

Looking ominous for Saints, reminds me of when Utd went down. We sold GMS, Armstrong, Shifty, in a quick succession this was compounded by letting go: Fojut, Gardyne, Erskine players who might not be the same class as the A list, but still seasoned top flight performers.  Similarly losing Kane an Spoony has been a huge blow, at the worst moment.  All is not lost, it’s only half time and if anyone deserves a shot at correcting this it’s CD.  Couple of decent signings in Jan and this team can get back to the well drilled performances the coaches instilled so effectively last season.   

I think the winter break arrived at the right moment for Saints (and United!).

so let’s raise a glass (half full) and enjoy New Year! All the best my WAP friends, I hope you and yours are blessed in the coming year! Xxx

55 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Looking ominous for Saints, reminds me of when Utd went down. We sold GMS, Armstrong, Shifty, in a quick succession this was compounded by letting go: Fojut, Gardyne, Erskine players who might not be the same class as the A list, but still seasoned top flight performers.  Similarly losing Kane an Spoony has been a huge blow, at the worst moment.  All is not lost, it’s only half time and if anyone deserves a shot at correcting this it’s CD.  Couple of decent signings in Jan and this team can get back to the well drilled performances the coaches instilled so effectively last season.   

I think the winter break arrived at the right moment for Saints (and United!).

so let’s raise a glass (half full) and enjoy New Year! All the best my WAP friends, I hope you and yours are blessed in the coming year! Xxx

And here’s me thinking all Utd fans are arrogant , well said smarmy , we need both Dundee teams in the top flight.

21 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

As I’ve said before, either Callum will get us out of the shit, in which case he should stay, or we will be relegated, in which case a no-cost relegation contract clause would surely kick in. No money needs to be spent.

I don't agree with that. I think if Davidson's changes over the transfer window don't work out he'll be sacked and another manager will be given a chance to keep us up.

33 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't agree with that. I think if Davidson's changes over the transfer window don't work out he'll be sacked and another manager will be given a chance to keep us up.

Should be sacked if he signs Crawford  I don't know a Saints fan who thinks he would be a good signing.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think that’s what you would like to happen, rather than what will. It would be March at the very least before any changes could be said to have worked or not. It’s much more likely to go down to the wire, right up to and possibly including the play-offs. There may not be a point at which you could say “that’s it” until the end. Even if there was, you then have to find another manager, just at the point where many are involved in promotion/relegation battles of their own. Just about the only available, realistic candidate you could think of right now would be Tommy, and that would be a very odd appointment. Possibly McInnis (can’t spell that) but I expect he’ll be looking for something much more promising.

I’d be very, very surprised if Callum went before the issue was settled.

22 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

You may well be right but if the current rumour that he has signed Crawford on a permanent deal is correct then I feel I should answer a question you posed in an earlier post.

To get to Cove you first head for Stonehaven, I would take the A92 but many prefer the A90.  From Stonehaven you take the A92 until it crosses the A956 when you turn right and head towards Altens, I understand the Balmoral Stadium is well signposted after a few miles.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think that’s what you would like to happen, rather than what will.

It's really not - it's what I think will happen. I can't see the board hanging around until the end of February with Davidson still in charge if we're still losing games and failing to score any goals and there's no sign of improvement. Relegation could be disastrous for the club and I don't think the board will just sit on their hands and watch us get relegated without taking some action to try to rescue the situation.

I think Plan A to keep us up is new signings, but if those signings don't hit the ground running I expect we'll move to Plan B which will be a change of manager. I also think the board will already know who they want to come in to replace him, if it reaches that point.

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think that’s what you would like to happen, rather than what will. It would be March at the very least before any changes could be said to have worked or not. It’s much more likely to go down to the wire, right up to and possibly including the play-offs. There may not be a point at which you could say “that’s it” until the end. Even if there was, you then have to find another manager, just at the point where many are involved in promotion/relegation battles of their own. Just about the only available, realistic candidate you could think of right now would be Tommy, and that would be a very odd appointment. Possibly McInnis (can’t spell that) but I expect he’ll be looking for something much more promising.

You forgot about Random:wub:

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

It's really not - it's what I think will happen. I can't see the board hanging around until the end of February with Davidson still in charge if we're still losing games and failing to score any goals and there's no sign of improvement. Relegation could be disastrous for the club and I don't think the board will just sit on their hands and watch us get relegated without taking some action to try to rescue the situation.

I think Plan A to keep us up is new signings, but if those signings don't hit the ground running I expect we'll move to Plan B which will be a change of manager. I also think the board will already know who they want to come in to replace him, if it reaches that point.

I agree with this - the board will definitely have someone lined up if Callum has to go (the recent PNE rumours might have kick-started the process earlier). Broon will have a shortlist of names in his drawer. And its not as if the Saints job isnt an attractive one. 

I think Callum will do enough to keep himself in place though but it does depend on the signings coming in - Cleary is one we know about (and probably due to get announced at the start of the week). I hope the Crawford story isnt true - not bothered about his loan being extended but hes not done anything like enough to warrant a permanent deal. 

This season will go to the wire - hopefully we've done enough after the winter break to get some optimism and confidence back in the team - thats almost as big a requirement as new faces in the team.