ELGIN v SAINTS 19 JULY

mainstand

Someone say Steve May scored ? Who in the Elgin defence made a mistake to make him look like the formidable striker returns. Suppose it’s only Elgin and he has found his niche . Can we play you every week Elgin ? A season like last and we soon be playing you 4 times !!!  

Just back from the match.  My thoughts:  Our defence was so slow it was embarrassing.  Brown the best of the three.  Mahon looked slow, made poor decisions and that was before his mistake led to their second.  Considine will struggle against any decent forward.  To me he's uncomfortable in a three.  Parish stopped a couple of one on ones but both goals, looked like he could have made attempts to save them.  

Davidson looked reasonable as the pivot to defend the defence but tired badly after 65 minutes.  Carey did some stuff reasonably well but was disjointed as a good pass was matched by a poor one.  Murphy had some moments but anonymous otherwise. Hallberg was both good and bad.  Spent too much time whinging if it didn't go his way.  The Ref was poor but was honest, both teams suffered.   Montgomery looked okay going forward but needs to learn to pass the ball rather than try to score every time.  

O'Halloran had a good first half but his much vaunted pace was matched by their fullback.  They changed the covering player at half time which stopped the high floated ball to him.  We didn't change how we tried to get him into the game.  Bair was too easily manhandled.  Unlucky to hit the post and should have scored a sitter.  It looked like a puncture just below the knee.  Was hobbling away at the end of the match.  

May ran the channels and defended well, better than the defenders.  Ballantyne, Stevens showed promise but lack maturity.  Stevens and May together up front did cause problems.  If others had looked to pass instead of shoot as they were in better positions maybe, we would have scored a few more.  

Overall some good play, at times with pace and precision but too much slow and negative stuff.  Lack of movement is a serious problem as without it there is no forward out ball.  May was the only one who screamed for the ball (like Elgin players did).

I did identify one source of our problems.  Davidson was shouting to the players almost the whole game.  Naming the player and who to pass to.  While in the main it was for a positive move, I felt the players played to his instructions which slowed things down.  Surely, the movement, looking to run channels, see free players is what you do on the training ground.  Not in a game.  During the game, it should be to encourage them to play to their strengths, applaud the good moves, encourage when something goes against you.  

I bought the game from Elgin TV and my main two thoughts were ……

The lack of information from Saints that there even was a PPV option, why not promote it, not sure if they get a cut at all but even from a help the smaller club out.

Main thing I thought though was the lack of any urgency from the team, at 4-0 up and Ayr winning, every goal was crucial if we were to try win the group but they didn’t play that way from what I saw. I have nt done the math but is there still not a chance we could get one of the best runner up spots, instead of pushing for five or six, we looked lethargic and let them back in.

22 minutes ago, Strawman said:

I have nt done the math but is there still not a chance we could get one of the best runner up spots

Slight chance but only the three best runners up go through this year and I don’t think 8 points will be enough. Majority of groups already have two teams sitting on 6+. Would take a freakishly fortunate set of results 

9 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Are you completely deluded?

We screwed ourselves

you really are pathetic. 

At the point at which I posted we needed a 2-0 win on Saturday to win the group. 

Annan scored and all but eliminated us from the competition. Now instead of trying to pick up and come up with stupid comments on all my posts go and actually say something original and constructive, if you can. 

Yes we screwed ourselves by losing 2 goals to penalties and failing to beat Annan at perth.

I watched on the live stream and thought we looked very vulnerable at the back, particularly when Hester used his pace (it's a good job he didn't have much of a final product, or he might have had a hat-trick against us). Same thing happened against Annan and from what I can gather (although I didn't see it) it happened at QoS too. Our defence is getting carved open by teams from two and three divisions below us which has got to be a worry. Mahon having probably the poorest game he's had for us didn't help. And I'm really not convinced by Considine so far.

On the positive side I think Montgomery is looking like a good signing, and in Ballantyne, Steven and Max we undoubtedly have some good young players pushing through (though I'm sceptical about how much they'll play once the serious stuff starts). You can tell Murphy has a bit of experience and he shows some nice touches. Carey, to me, looks a bit off the pace but hopefully he'll pick up a bit. Pretty much everything good we did was played through Hallberg and he looks so much more involved and influential when given license to play a bit further forward (but he also had a couple of incredibly sloppy moments). But there's no way that midfield set-up is going to be the answer for us. We still desperately need a Chris Millar/Craig Bryson type in there.

I don't think MOH at RWB works at all, but at least he's an upgrade on Gilmour in that role.

Bit worried about Saturday against Ayr. I think they're going to give us a really, really tough time.

CD and the board are sleep walking to relegation. It’s clear to see why we are relegation favourites. Last night was terrible, don’t let the win convince you otherwise. Midfield is a disaster AGAIN! We need a holding player that can make a pass. Muzz is no longer the answer in there. With Bair now out injured all we have is May! And even a fit Bair does not look a great prospect. Elgin fans behind me last night were having a right laugh and at 0-4 down were saying can we please get Bair back on the pitch to give us a chance!! Says it all. We need a change in playing style and a change at the top. Times is up for CD and SM imo. I think if nothing changes we will be adrift by Christmas by which time it’s too late

2 hours ago, Gas Monkey said:

CD and the board are sleep walking to relegation. It’s clear to see why we are relegation favourites. Last night was terrible, don’t let the win convince you otherwise. Midfield is a disaster AGAIN! We need a holding player that can make a pass. Muzz is no longer the answer in there. With Bair now out injured all we have is May! And even a fit Bair does not look a great prospect. Elgin fans behind me last night were having a right laugh and at 0-4 down were saying can we please get Bair back on the pitch to give us a chance!! Says it all. We need a change in playing style and a change at the top. Times is up for CD and SM imo. I think if nothing changes we will be adrift by Christmas by which time it’s too late

Bookies still offer a good price for us to be relegated.

Straight shootout between us and St.Mirren I reckon. They have a better manager and a better defence so I don’t fancy our chances.

Hallberg plays far better further up the pitch, which is why he needs 2 holding midfielders behind him with a bit of bite.

We desperately need to change to 4-2-1-3 with Hallberg as the 'one', but the singings Davidson has made don't allow it.

4 hours ago, Gas Monkey said:

Good summary except I fear we will be adrift well before Christmas.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Hallberg plays far better further up the pitch, which is why he needs 2 holding midfielders behind him with a bit of bite.

We desperately need to change to 4-2-1-3 with Hallberg as the 'one', but the singings Davidson has made don't allow it.

I’d like to see us at least experiment with a 4-2-3-1 at some point this season, as long as it’s Mahon and Gordon as the two centre backs, James Brown may flourish when played in his ‘natural’ position. Carey/Wright/Murphy wide with Hallberg centrally, though we’d probably still run into the same issues with a DM as MacPherson and Davidson will probably still leave you exposed. Can’t imagine it’ll be a shape they work on though, so even if we were to go with it, it’d probably look dreadful 

Edited by PSJ.84