Match day 1. Saints V Hibs

rik2304

21 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I'm flying in with great optimism for this. First live game for a couple of years and have lucky son in tow, born 17th May. Davidson will pull off some genius, so I'm sure I won't need to stick my cleveland saintee flag and pole up his rear and ignite the summer discontent riots of '22.

Have fun 

Remi  

Cleary.        McGowan.    Considine 

Wright.                                                         Montgomery 

Muzz   hailberg. 

Murphy.                  Blair.                 Carey

Hopefully this starting lineup but this parish will start and possibly brown from Wright ot McGowan 

11 hours ago, tucker said:

Remi  

Cleary.        McGowan.    Considine 

Wright.                                                         Montgomery 

Muzz   hailberg. 

Murphy.                  Blair.                 Carey

Hopefully this starting lineup but this parish will start and possibly brown from Wright ot McGowan 

Not the way I want to see us line-up but I think you're probably close to what Davidson will do. Not sure if Bair and Wright are fit though. And even if Matthews has signed before Saturday I'd be a bit wary of chucking in a new goalkeeper who has only just arrived so reckon we might stick with Parish for this one.

37 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

And even if Matthews has signed before Saturday I'd be a bit wary of chucking in a new goalkeeper who has only just arrived so reckon we might stick with Parish for this one.

I might be misremembering but I think that when Alan McGregor joined us on loan he was thrown into the starting line up that day. I *think* it was a midweek game, definitely remember most of the East Stand wondering who he was, before line up announced. Might not be ideal to chuck someone in at short notice, but I am pretty relaxed about the possibility.

I think with the players we have now, the 5-2-3 and 5-3-2 can become quite fluent. If MacPherson and Carey are involved then it gives Hallberg that license to get in the box, which I think will be really important this season. 

So other than bringing Bair in and restoring Gordon if he's fit, I wouldn't change too much from last Saturday. Bair has to get himself between the posts though. 

Almost an outbreak of positivity there. 

58 minutes ago, Dooj said:

I might be misremembering but I think that when Alan McGregor joined us on loan he was thrown into the starting line up that day. I *think* it was a midweek game, definitely remember most of the East Stand wondering who he was, before line up announced. Might not be ideal to chuck someone in at short notice, but I am pretty relaxed about the possibility.

Not sure about McGregor but I remember Owen Coyle bringing in Michael McGovern at the last minute to play in a crucial game at Gretna. He had a nightmare game and it arguably cost us promotion. Don't think he ever played for us again after that. We had Bryan Halliwell on the bench for us that day but weirdly Coyle went for a completely untested young keeper instead.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/gretna-fc-2008-_st-johnstone-fc/aufstellung/spielbericht/64216

7 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure about McGregor but I remember Owen Coyle bringing in Michael McGovern at the last minute to play in a crucial game at Gretna. He had a nightmare game and it arguably cost us promotion. Don't think he ever played for us again after that. We had Bryan Halliwell on the bench for us that day but weirdly Coyle went for a completely untested young keeper instead.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/gretna-fc-2008-_st-johnstone-fc/aufstellung/spielbericht/64216

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+SAINT'S+UP+FOR+REPEAT%3B+DIVISION+ONE+SPOTLIGHT...+Celt+out...-a0155325136

Feel this is a game we need to be winning.  From the outside hibs have assembled a poor squad and I get the sense that their manager thinks he is better than what he is.  If we are to stay clear of relegation this season we need the 3 points here.  

Jamie Murphy to get the winner in a drab 1-0 please.

1 hour ago, Dooj said:

Was that when he lost 3 goals to Alloa.

1 hour ago, JDee said:

Feel this is a game we need to be winning.  From the outside hibs have assembled a poor squad and I get the sense that their manager thinks he is better than what he is.  If we are to stay clear of relegation this season we need the 3 points here.  

Jamie Murphy to get the winner in a drab 1-0 please.

Hibs could say almost the exact same thing.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Quick line-up prediction:

________________Matthews

_____Brown___McGowan___Considine

Wright__Davidson___Hallberg___Montgomery

_________Carey___________Murphy

__________________Bair

Only change I would make is to replace Davidson with MacPherson and possibly Mitchell in instead of McGowan.

Despite several concerns about us heading into the new season, I have been hit with a wave of optimism ahead of tomorrows game! A home game on the opening day of the season, looking like there will be a decent crowd and meant to a good day as well. Hopefully Davidson sets us up to get on the front foot from the first minute and really test Hibs out. Hibs have a few players that are new to Scottish football so will be interesting to see how they handle the pace and physical nature of the game.

On paper we could not have asked for a better start to the season with Hibs and Motherwell both looking to be in turmoil. Could really do with getting some points on the board before heading into the run of games against Rangers (a), Aberdeen (h) and Hearts (a).

You have the believe in the first game of the season, otherwise why bother.

Other teams are also finding their way and we have a side with a fresh start versus a Jan window when we were already deep in it. Maybe, just maybe some things click and these players give it their all, with heads held high.