Saints v Ross County, 17th Sep 2022

blueheaven

20 hours ago, south inch said:

Seems we were consulted but left hand didn't know.  Right hand has now apologised to Hibs.

Yeah , Saints have apologies to Hibs.

Courier reported it so have to assume Nicolson got it from Davidson , so bad show if he wasn't kept in the loop.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, Havana Saint said:

I am going to ask if they intend playing the anthem of Great Britain and Northern Ireland at McDiarmid Park before the game.. If so, I will definitely not be attending. I hope the black armband is entirely voluntary, pretty Fascist if not.

Let's keep away from The Glasgow mentality

On 9/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Ritspeed said:

Juvenille pathetic post.  The Royal family did not decree the postponement of last week's games but left it to the respective authorities. 

If 'Queen' Nicola popped her clogs I would shed not a tear but would respect any public ceremonies

Seems like I may be in the minority on this forum though! 

Well said

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think a minute's applause is the right move. It means those who want to take part can do so, and those who don't want to take part don't feel forced to do so.

Maybe so but I doubt Saints are doing this for altruistic reasons.  More likely they don't want to be embarrassed by the actions of a minority.

13 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

It would never be quiet. The monarchy, Empire, famine and unelected Head of State a number of issues. Plenty of Republicans in Scotland.

It's a respect thing. Someone has died, whether you agree with their place in society or not.

As someone has said before me people of a certain vintage were raised to show respect. 

For the record I'm not a Royalist but the Queen meant a lot to many people in this country and she discharged her duties with remarkable integrity. RIP

10 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

It's a respect thing. Someone has died, whether you agree with their place in society or not.

As someone has said before me people of a certain vintage were raised to show respect. 

For the record I'm not a Royalist but the Queen meant a lot to many people in this country and she discharged her duties with remarkable integrity. RIP

Feel exactly the same. I’m far from a royalist but I’m not anti royal either. It’s not a gig I would want. 

End of the day, she was someone’s grandmother, great grandmother etc. It’s a human decency thing. 

If you want to boo someone’s death, save that for the likes of Jimmy Savile, Ian Huntley etc 

16 hours ago, south inch said:

Maybe so but I doubt Saints are doing this for altruistic reasons.  More likely they don't want to be embarrassed by the actions of a minority.

I think both motivations are probably true. It reduces the likelihood of booing as you say, and it also allows people to quietly not take part if that's their choice. It's the best decision for everyone.

We'll never know now, but I'd be fairly surprised if there was much disruption to a minute's silence at McDiarmid Park. Personally I'm against the concept of the monarchy but wouldn't have disrupted a minute's silence, and I suspect most other anti-monarchists within the Saints crowd are the same.

21 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Sorry but I really find this "people of a certain vintage" stuff to be patronising rubbish. There are many, many examples of older generations behaving with anything but respect.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, Ritspeed said:

Juvenille pathetic post.  The Royal family……….

If 'Queen' Nicola popped her clogs I would shed not a tear but would respect any public ceremonies

Seems like I may be in the minority on this forum though! 

I can’t quite make up my mind if calling our FM ‘Queen’ is disrespectful or juvenile. ;) 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think both motivations are probably true. It reduces the likelihood of booing as you say, and it also allows people to quietly not take part if that's their choice. It's the best decision for everyone.

We'll never know now, but I'd be fairly surprised if there was much disruption to a minute's silence at McDiarmid Park. Personally I'm against the concept of the monarchy but wouldn't have disrupted a minute's silence, and I suspect most other anti-monarchists within the Saints crowd are the same.

Sorry but I really find this "people of a certain vintage" stuff to be patronising rubbish. There are many, many examples of older generations behaving with anything but respect.

If you feel it's patronising that's on you. I agree there are plenty older people who let themselves down too.

Your clouding the issue I'm afraid.

Why don't we move on; this is the Ross game thread and I'm looking forward to the game.

1 hour ago, dunblanemike said:

I can’t quite make up my mind if calling our FM ‘Queen’ is disrespectful or juvenile. ;) 

Given that our FM was actually elected by the people, unlike a mere member of the royal family who is only in their position through luck of a birth lottery, I'd say it's arguably both. But then I'm juvenile too so what do I know. :)

33 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

If you feel it's patronising that's on you. I agree there are plenty older people who let themselves down too.

Your clouding the issue I'm afraid.

Why don't we move on; this is the Ross game thread and I'm looking forward to the game.

I think the issue is pretty cloud-free: older generations who brought hooliganism and racism to football are in no position to lecture younger generations about how to behave respectfully at the match ... a match that I am also looking forward to. :D