Dundee Utd V St.Johnstone Saturday 1st October

SaintJet

51 minutes ago, Sergei said:

Played some very neat stuff, scored a couple of crackers and could've had a few more but we were very wasteful all game and thankfully United were pretty poor until Callum decided to settle for 2-0 and we sat back. The difference when Stevie went off was remarkable. We're notoriously bad after an international break so we'll put a lot of the misplaced passes down to that but I wish Callum wasn't scared of winning by four or five when the chance is there!

The change in Stevie has been so good to see. The way he took his goal was a joy to watch and, like him hitting the post against County, his shot that hit the bar was an attempt by someone full of confidence.

Must remember it's basically a rebuilt side so good to see us closer to 3rd that 11th as we're still developing. 

Born again Stevie May now that he has a partner up front like Macca.

Second half either Davidson getting them to sit back or they tire but thats when you utilise your subs. Especially as they need game time.

50 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Great overall performance. We tired a lot towards the end tho and the midfield looked off the pace allowing utd room to press.

But we deserved the pts. May, McGowan  and Matthews were all outstanding.  Even Theo almost scored!!!!!

Scores for fun in bounce games.

20 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Great overall performance. We tired a lot towards the end tho and the midfield looked off the pace allowing utd room to press.

But we deserved the pts. May, McGowan  and Matthews were all outstanding.  Even Theo almost scored!!!!!

Agreed, the answer being to score 3 goals before we tire.  Much better for the nerves!

Watching this team right now, you actually believe we will score when we push up. Stevie with confidence again and a team that plays up not back. For a very long time you simply had no belief we would get gilt edged chances during a game.

Beginning to get confidence that Marshall is a really good keep, a key position we filled rather late and McGowan is truly another great late signing.

Really pleased for Stevie May - he's always been this player, he just needed some supply and support. At last we're playing in a way that gets the best out of him and I can't help but find it infuriating that we wasted so much time having either him or Bair chugging hopelessly around up front on their own when that was so clearly never going to work.

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Really pleased for Stevie May - he's always been this player, he just needed some supply and support. At last we're playing in a way that gets the best out of him and I can't help but find it infuriating that we wasted so much time having either him or Bair chugging hopelessly around up front on their own when that was so clearly never going to work.

I wonder who was it that got into CD’s ear to suggest the formation change or was it CD himself.

If we can get three points midweek against Killie that will give us a bit more breathing space between us and the bottom 2.

Lets hope we can continue our resurgence and head into the match against Celtic with a team believing in themselves.

16 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Watching this team right now, you actually believe we will score when we push up. Stevie with confidence again and a team that plays up not back. For a very long time you simply had no belief we would get gilt edged chances during a game.

Beginning to get confidence that Marshall is a really good keep, a key position we filled rather late and McGowan is truly another great late signing.

Who is Marshall?? Is that another signing that i missed :laugh:

Still early days, but credit to Davidson and the players for a decent start to the season.

I really like our defence this season. Matthews has been excellent since coming to the club. He has a real calming presence about him and showed on Saturday that he is capable of pulling off instinctive, important saves. Considine has so far proved most of us wrong, his reading of the game is superb, very rarely loses any challenges in the air and he uses his experience to help the younger players in the team. 

McGowan is another one that has so far proved the doubters (myself included) wrong. He was really good in midfield on Saturday, especially in the first half where he was breaking play up and driving the team forward. Our team has much more character about it this season and the likes of McGowan and Considine have been a big part of that. At times last season when we went a goal behind, our players heads went down and you knew there was no way back, but I cant see that happening as much this season. Seems to be a really good team spirit about this group of players as well.

Great to have a confident Stevie May again. When he is on form, he is a joy to watch. 

32 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Still early days, but credit to Davidson and the players for a decent start to the season.

I really like our defence this season. Matthews has been excellent since coming to the club. He has a real calming presence about him and showed on Saturday that he is capable of pulling off instinctive, important saves. Considine has so far proved most of us wrong, his reading of the game is superb, very rarely loses any challenges in the air and he uses his experience to help the younger players in the team. 

McGowan is another one that has so far proved the doubters (myself included) wrong. He was really good in midfield on Saturday, especially in the first half where he was breaking play up and driving the team forward. Our team has much more character about it this season and the likes of McGowan and Considine have been a big part of that. At times last season when we went a goal behind, our players heads went down and you knew there was no way back, but I cant see that happening as much this season. Seems to be a really good team spirit about this group of players as well.

Great to have a confident Stevie May again. When he is on form, he is a joy to watch. 

Agree with all of this. Mightily impressed with Matthews’ distribution as well. 

Great performance from the team on Saurday. Should have been out of sight by half time.

There is a real team unity about them again and you can see the confidence coursing through the team. The defense were excellent again - I really like the guy Mitchell - no nonsense and strong - with Liam and Consadine we look pretty formidable unit. A word on Consadine too- I was underwhelmed by his signing but he 's a proper player and the move has been good for him too - he's got a new lease of life in Perth. Hallberg is the key in midfield and links the play going forward. 

I love the goalie too - he's really assured and his distribution is excellent.

Couldn't forget the oustanding Steve May - he's got plenty left in the tank and it was great to see him playing like his old self - Nicky Clark has been a brilliant signing.

Almost forgot that apart from a goal, an assist and hitting the bar Stevie also cleared one off the line at 0-0 which could have been just as important as his goal. It was good to see that having someone on the post hasn't died out completely. 

I was surprised at how often Edwards won headers at corners. The guy can certainly jump. It was just as well he couldn't do anything with them apart from that earlyish one. 

16 minutes ago, Sergei said:

Almost forgot that apart from a goal, an assist and hitting the bar Stevie also cleared one off the line at 0-0 which could have been just as important as his goal. It was good to see that having someone on the post hasn't died out completely. 

The goal line clearance was after he had scored to make it 1-0.

From the highlights their goal looks a bit disappointing. We were under no pressure at the back and Gordon's clearance went straight to one of their players when the ball was going no where if he had been given a shout.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Played like that for quite a while now, Kane, May, Bair. One up front, never working, took them a while to figure it out.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

From the highlights their goal looks a bit disappointing. We were under no pressure at the back and Gordon's clearance went straight to one of their players when the ball was going no where if he had been given a shout.

Thanks. I swithered if it was 0-0 or 1-0 and picked the wrong one of course.

When the ball came out from Matthews' save it went to three United players standing unmarked around the penalty spot. Not a good goal to lose at all.

3 hours ago, garydavidson said:

It was Mitchell who headed it,Drey should’ve given him a shout,as there was no one behind them 

6 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Totally agree. Saints communication between teammates has been bad for years. 
drey wrights inexperience as a defender was there to see. He had looked to see there was no issues and only had to give a shout and cross would have went out for a corner. Instead silent and we lose a goal from nothing, and a nervous last 5/0 mins.