Levein new manager

saintgscot

Got to love football supporters,”a lazy appointment”,wasn’t long ago Davidson/Maclean being given the job from within the club was “a lazy appointment”

Some folk are ready to condemn him for events years ago bit like Martindale and his past,all before there’s even been any official announcement,we’re not out of the smelly stuff just yet so a steady hand on the tiller(Levein)I think will serve us well and boost our chances of staying up,need to consolidate a bit before we go all gung hoe with some young buck.

7 minutes ago, Saline Saint said:

Got to love football supporters,”a lazy appointment”,wasn’t long ago Davidson/Maclean being given the job from within the club was “a lazy appointment”

Some folk are ready to condemn him for events years ago bit like Martindale and his past,all before there’s even been any official announcement,we’re not out of the smelly stuff just yet so a steady hand on the tiller(Levein)I think will serve us well and boost our chances of staying up,need to consolidate a bit before we go all gung hoe with some young buck.

Theres a middle ground between Levein (one job in 11 years, hired himself for it, led to a relegation for Hearts) and MacLean (zero experience at all as a manager), but guess we were fishing in a shallow pool if experience of our league was required.

2 hours ago, Saline Saint said:

Easy to say now, didn't see this place lighting up at the idea of Levein last week, for good reason. He plays the kind of football we've  been trying to move on from. 

It's an interesting one. He has been successful in the past, and has maybe needed a lot of time out to regain that. I've always found he doesn't come across well in interviews, but he's a safe pair of hands I guess. Thing is, if he does well, I can't see other clubs wanting to snap him up because of his past. This goes against our former model.

Just a thought that gives me some degree of concern, and that is the prospect of Levein bringing the Kirk with him, only to become our Director of Football at the conclusion of the season. Andy Kirk then takes over as Coach/Manager for next season. 

The owner of Brechin City sell his club and becomes our new owner. 

We move to Brechin! 🤣

3 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Just a thought that gives me some degree of concern, and that is the prospect of Levein bringing the Kirk with him, only to become our Director of Football at the conclusion of the season. Andy Kirk then takes over as Coach/Manager for next season. 

We move to Brechin! 🤣

Brechin is fan owned is it not. But if you look at there chairman he might of just sold a car business giving him money to buy a club. He has link to Kirk and levin. As I said earlier in this thread #newowners

32 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

We move to Brechin! 🤣

Their owner is from Brechin.

He took Levein/Kirk there, rather than him following them. He wont be our new owner IMO. 

Also.

https://x.com/MattGallagher_1/status/1721173538625724669?s=20

Levein has made big mistakes over the years, far too comfortable at Hearts last time out, but has some achievements to his name. Did a fantastic job at Tannadice, (arrived in October to replace club legend Brewster who won us the cup!) will not tolerate players putting the tools away when conceding a 2nd goal, shapes teams who 'enjoy defending' and will build a squad that will not be pushed around. Expect his side and any signings he makes to display a certain muscularity......exactly what Saints need right now.  He has no previous connection to the club, a good thing, more important than many fans realise. 

Good appointment, hope it works.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Their owner is from Brechin.

He took Levein/Kirk there, rather than him following them. He wont be our new owner IMO. 

Also.

https://x.com/MattGallagher_1/status/1721173538625724669?s=20

Until the the ink is dry on the paper..? Making it sound like him coming to us is doing us a massive favour.. and in honesty its the other way about! We are throwing him a lifeline to coach in the spl again! The guy has been washed up for a long time and everyone knows it.

12 minutes ago, GOB10 said:

Until the the ink is dry on the paper..? Making it sound like him coming to us is doing us a massive favour.. and in honesty its the other way about! We are throwing him a lifeline to coach in the spl again! The guy has been washed up for a long time and everyone knows it.

That’s not how I interpreted it. It’s just him saying that it’s not done until it’s done. 

I think this is a terrible appointment, both in terms of football and as a personality. 

No one with an attitude that allows them to say "teams like St Johnstone" should ever manage the club.

Then again I suppose that raises the larger question; what is the club's direction? We seem to be in purgatory pending the sale of the club, and there doesn't seem to be an ambition to do much more than scrape Premiership survival on the lowest budget possible.

Appointing Avril just feels like the least amount of effort possible, which feels wholly consistent with the board's decisions over the last few seasons. 

2 hours ago, Linky said:

It's an interesting one. He has been successful in the past, and has maybe needed a lot of time out to regain that. I've always found he doesn't come across well in interviews, but he's a safe pair of hands I guess. Thing is, if he does well, I can't see other clubs wanting to snap him up because of his past. This goes against our former model.

Did he not get  Hearts relegated a safe pair of hands.

3 hours ago, garydavidson said:

"I want to have another go at it, throw the dice and see if, in the latter stages of my career, I can make a difference to St Johnstone and get them up the league."

I'm sure that's not how he sold himself in the interview, surely?

St Johnstone is not a dice to roll by any individual.

In circumstances i feel this is a decent appointment . Thought going for experience was correct strategy and there was not loads of other candidates available to pick from . Levein has had his up and downs but decent track record overall . This may be his last job so  hopefully be motivated to end his managerial career on a high point . 

Just when I thought we could not stoop any lower they go and employ this clown. I don’t give a monkeys about his experience. He is most certainly the wrong choice for St Johnstone. My daughters dog knows more about football than him. This decision will most certainly come back to haunt the chairman that’s for sure. So if he loses his first 6 games in charge then what ?????? Explanation please Mr chairman. 

54 minutes ago, Jim West said:

Just when I thought we could not stoop any lower they go and employ this clown. I don’t give a monkeys about his experience. He is most certainly the wrong choice for St Johnstone. My daughters dog knows more about football than him. This decision will most certainly come back to haunt the chairman that’s for sure. So if he loses his first 6 games in charge then what ?????? Explanation please Mr chairman. 

Quite enjoying all this chat about not wanting Levein's negative football...it's like we've all been sitting there watching Brazil for the last 10 years. 

• blueheaven changed the title to Levein new manager