Saints V Aberdeen. Slc Semi-Final. Sat 1St Feb.

The ghost of Jim Morton

Stupid mistakes cost us - Aberdeen didnt so much as win the game but we lost it. Could have been different - esp in the first half only one down and pressing only for Madden to fail to send off Robson for what was easily a 2nd bookable offence.

But it also showed that perhaps the defence is showing its age - Mackay was beat for pace too easily and in midfield Millar had a poor first 45 while McDonald was anonymous.

Onwards and upwards though - there is still a more important cup to play for next week.

Silly mistakes cost us first 3 goals.

Bad GK kick out followed by Ando leaving the cross - why?

Lost ball in corner of Abeen half, Hayes broke quickly, Pawlett skinned Ando and finished

Dave Mackay(happening too often) lost the ball, another break away goal

We pushed forward, had more of the ball, 10 corners to their one - it was obviously the midfield and in particular Miller and McDonalds fault - sure it was - let's gloss over the schoolboy mistakes from 2/3 of the most experienced players on the pitch.

Gutted but onwards and upwards - COYS

Stupid mistakes cost us - Aberdeen didnt so much as win the game but we lost it. Could have been different - esp in the first half only one down and pressing only for Madden to fail to send off Robson for what was easily a 2nd bookable offence.

But it also showed that perhaps the defence is showing its age - Mackay was beat for pace too easily and in midfield Millar had a poor first 45 while McDonald was anonymous.

Onwards and upwards though - there is still a more important cup to play for next week.

Totally agree Temple think Dave was to blame, directly or indirectly for 3 of the goals. The first he should have seen the Aberdeen player and been roaring at Ando to clear it, Second he should have deliverd it before being charged down and then for the third only he will know what he was trying to do,

Put it behind us and go for Scottish Cup now.

We're all hurting tonight but as for not truely having belief,if you dont have belief you've got nothing.

Saints played well, and took sucker punches. Can't blame the goalie....in the same way we could blame McManus for getting sent off in the first place? And all that then follows.... Conjecture is too easy.

St Johnstone are still NOT a big team. We exist in the top division with inflated expectations on the back of Rangers being demoted, which allowed us in for our first Euro berth, last year was on merit within the same vacumn.....

people get real. We make Semis, we are a provincial team. We are doing just great. And yes, it would be good to one day get the rub of the green at that cruicial moment in a cup................the same rub of the green we got to get into Europe last year and the year before.

really...... did you really believe we would be in the final?????????? I doubt people truely believed.

We%20are%20still%20proud%20shirts.JPG

If that is your attitude do us all a favour and piss off,

As for the 2 arses that run on the pitch disgrace!!

Both are not saints fans.

From a reliable source who is the same age as them tells me they each support one of the old firm.

The rangers calender obviously gives that away though

What the f*ck was that?? How can a team be the better side and find themselves 3-0 down?? Steve f*cking Banks that's how. Slower than a one legged tortoise with a limp coming off his line, not helped by the defence being less than f*cking clueless. Absolutely embarrassing performance. Aberdeen weren't any good at all, yet fully deserved the win, we were that bad.

I was trying to defend Millar at halftime, then realised I couldn't actually argue with the criticisms. Did not play well at all today. Missed Mannus and Davidson badly .

Plus points, Easton played alright, and big Chris won every header. May was pretty anonymous though, and if you stop May you stop St Johnstone .

I need a drink.

Edited by duncan08

Very poor.  Defence was obviously nervous in front of Banks who effectively gifted the first goal.  Buzz lost ball down the wing and with a fast break and poor clearance from Spoony we are 2 doon.

Team was flat and we the fans were certainly flat.  The seat and invading "fans" just made the day worse.  

Having said that nothing worse than the abuse and spitting incident from the Abereen "fans" in the Main Stand and some of their overall conduct around Gorgie.

Onwards Comrades.........Station Park awaits for bridies and let's hope a better performance.

Maybe the next semi.......just maybe.....KEEP THE FAITH.

COYS!

Have waited to post and still not feeling better about the game. Going in to the match with no old firm left you started to think this was may be a year we could do something............. but no. Sometimes you play a team whose pace, passing and movement is just streets ahead - but that was not Aberdeen today. They looked a very average team - but we left ourselves so much to do by conceding a poor early goal through a comedy of errors. Then quickly lost another soft goal through schoolboy defending. I am sure we did have a lot of play and beat them on corners but when you are 2 - 0 up after half an hour you can afford to sit back and hit on the break.I believe this is an even worse result than the Motherwell semi two years ago. Defensive errors have cost us dearly and I think some defenders are now past their sell by date.

First time I've ever left early, call me a shite fan if you must but its utterly heartbreaking to watch your side completely bottle probably the best opportunity to win a trophy we've ever had, and its about the sixth or seventh huge disappointment they've served us within the ast five or so years, whats wrong with us a club that we can't cope with big crowds?

Criticising the supporters is a bit much considering it was noisy for about 15 minutes before kick off and after it. When you concede within 5 minutes its hard not to be downhearted, especially since its an incredibly familiar story to what we'e suffered through before

It was obvious from the line ups we'd lose, as we seemed to have learned nothing from the match earlier this season. Why we persist with leaving May so isolated I don't know, and why Wright, Mackay and McDonald are immune to being dropped is beyond me aswell. Its well known Aberdeen are a pacey counter attacking side with a dominant back line, yet we play our slowest players at the back and only one small forward, what was TW thinking about? It raises numerous questions about him yet again this season, as hes been outsmarted far too many times by the opposition for it to be something less than his fault. Wonder how many times we'e conceded four this season now?

Celtic away coming up soon could be a proper nightmare based on that, knowing us we'll likely win

well done the fans that stayed to the bitter end.

I've never understood why this is considered worthy of praise. I know theres all the speel about "being loyal" and "showing your support", but theres dyed in the wool Saintees who left early while some "big game" supporters stayed until the end. Personally I couldn't watch anymore, genuinely felt sick

Before I say anything else, I must stress that I have nothing against Chris Millar. He is a good player and brings something different to the team. However, today we saw what a team performance would look like if the team was made up entirely of 11 Chris Millars. There was no directness, too much dilly-dallying on the ball, too much sideways passing and not enough end product. It's fine to have a couple of players who play in this manner, but there were far too many of them today.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the starting line-up. It was attacking. It was brave. My one problem was that there was no midfielder capable of acting as a shield in front of the back four and providing help when they were under pressure. Millar and MacDonald do not work as a partnership and I would have preferred to see Dunne or Cregg in there. We really missed Murray Davidson's physicality, I think. In fact, despite Banks' mistake, I think we missed Davidson more than Mannus.

Anyway, we played the better football in the first half but that is irrelevant. We left ourselves far too open to the counter-attack and only had ourselves to blame. The defending was worrying at times.

Wotherspoon, Croft and Hasselbaink were the stand-outs for me, but I'm surprised to say that O'Halloran actually looked like the type of player we had been missing before his late arrival.

It's been an awful day. Luckily we can look ahead to the Scottish Cup tie now and focus on reaching the quarter-final first and foremost. There is still something to play for.

Shout-out to the lads who broke the seats and threw them onto the pitch. It was propa nawty and really cool. Dylan, you're a big slavering waste of space and I'd suggest some sort of therapy in the hope of turning your life around. It's never too late.

Have waited to post and still not feeling better about the game. Going in to the match with no old firm left you started to think this was may be a year we could do something............. but no. Sometimes you play a team whose pace, passing and movement is just streets ahead - but that was not Aberdeen today. They looked a very average team - but we left ourselves so much to do by conceding a poor early goal through a comedy of errors. Then quickly lost another soft goal through schoolboy defending. I am sure we did have a lot of play and beat them on corners but when you are 2 - 0 up after half an hour you can afford to sit back and hit on the break.I believe this is an even worse result than the Motherwell semi two years ago. Defensive errors have cost us dearly and I think some defenders are now past their sell by date.

Fraz? Think Dave is good for another season, he was gutted with his mistake which effectively ended the game.  Ando and Easton must stay

The game was bad but nothing compared to the behavior of the wee shite bags on the train home.

I'm all up for a bit of banter, but singing about kiddie fiddlers and rapists is nothing short of disgraceful, especially in front of young children that were around you.

And is singing "twist and shout" and the kolo toure song for about 20 minutes non stop supposed to be funny?

I spent all day with aberdeen supporting mates and half way through the train journey I'd have loved to have heard a bit of Stand Free again.

What a f**king awful day.