Celtic V St Johnstone 16/2/14 Ko 12:45

rik2304

If we set ourselves up like that against a not team in this league we would get beat .

Anytime the back 8 won the ball they had to punt it as there was no movement or desire to leave their posts.

As Ghoas tie says I would maybe prefer to get beat 6.1 & played football.

I'll stay to the end, flying the blue flag through pillar and smoke :laugh:

Nae pillar, nae smoke, nae nothing.

Sat off them all day long, barely appearing to put in much effort.

As bad as it ended up, for long spells it didn't look like Celtic were going to do much and that we could've got into the game.

Poor show and a waste of time and money.

Nigel created a few moments but mostly chose the wrong option.

Easton was good.

Got two free cups of hot water from Celtic.

Green brigade moved over to our side of the ground. More entertaining and amusing than the game. No crap from them today for a change.

Disappointing and hard to watch, I think just set up not to get humped rather make a game of it, pile everybody behind ball to try and prevent them gettin behind and make them shoot at range hoping and scrap a draw, looked bit better after Hass and O'Halloran came on but far to late and Celtic in cruise mode by then anyhoo, a very negative display but we are no expected to get anything from this game, it didn't work today and if dont come out attacking the others teams then agree we have to start asking questions

It's strange cause Lomas used to be able to get the team playing well home and away yet the majority on here said Wright was the brains behind it. As a manager of the football team, which he was employed to be, not a PR mananager I don't think he did much wrong. Have we moved forward?

It's strange cause Lomas used to be able to get the team playing well home and away yet the majority on here said Wright was the brains behind it. As a manager of the football team, which he was employed to be, not a PR mananager I don't think he did much wrong. Have we moved forward?

It's an interesting question. I think there are merits to both sides of the argument.

First of all, I'd disagree that we played well home and away with Lomas in charge. We were certainly a very different team from the one we are now. Lomas' team was more reliable in the sense that we knew we were always likely to be involved in low-scoring, close-fought matches. We won our fair share of games but it was rarely very pretty. On the other hand, I've never seen performances as enjoyable as ones we have witnessed at McDiarmid under Tommy Wright this season. It is very pleasing on the eye. We love to attack, and have beaten more than a couple of teams very comprehensively indeed. However, we can't seem to replicate this away from home and have also seen our team beaten comprehensively on a number of occasions. This season, it's more difficult to predict which St Johnstone team will turn up.

On the other hand, our team spirit seems greater than it ever was under Lomas, we have a higher points total than we did at the same stage last season and I'm enjoying the vast majority of our performances more than I did last season. I'm very happy to have Tommy Wright in charge here.

Playing may on his own up front was plain daft. There was simply no chance of us being able to play the ball on the deck through Celtic and pumping high balls to him was meat and drink for the celtic centre halts. If we had anyone up front today it should have been Iwelumo with the task of roughing up Ambrose / van Dijk with runners from mid field supporting him - even would have played May deeper. remember how Tade made a difference when he came on at mcdiarmid and gave Ambrose a real hard time - changed the game. However, no formation / personnel would make a difference if those playing stand off there oppos and show an inability to make simple passes. On the positive side - any time we've been humped this season the team have responded in kind next game; so 3-0 v Thistle next up.

Next time.

HAVE A ****ING GO AT THEM!

We've got one of the most dangerous attackers in l

the league FFS!

Exactly . would have rather have had 5 attackers on the pitch and had a go at their shite defence, than surrender so meekly.

Sorry, but was shouting at the tv screen for Marvelous Captain Dave to show Stokes the outside, but despite all his experience he allowed him to come inside to score .

Time for Dave to have a break.

Couldn't quite grasp what the game plan was today, but it whatever it was maybe someone could enlighten me .

My main disappointment with performances like that is we don't look like we are ever going to make a game of it. Of course Celtic have the better players, bigger budgets etc however, why not go out there and have a go, if you get anything, its a bonus as it isn't expected. As has been mentioned, I'd rather go down by five or six and have a go than that type of performance & tactics.

If you compare that performance to the two against Rosenborg you would have thought it was a completely different Saints side. We should (imo) have been harrying them, closing them down at every opportunity but that never looked like happening.

It isn't just Wright who is guilty of not having a go in these games, its been a rare day when we have gone in with what I would call the right attitude in games like that against the old firm.

Felt we were very much in the game in the first half and had enough of the ball to consider ourselves to still be in with a chance of taking something come half-time. We'd largely defended pretty well and the midfield were taking the ball and looking to make passes. Disappointment was that on a few occasions when we worked good openings out wide, the final ball was poor but that's not a new problem.

For whatever reason we didn't getting going at all in the second half though and failed to build on a solid opening 45 minutes. Felt all the goals were cheap, even allowing for the first couple at least being decent finishes.

Certainly not going to lose sleep over anything that happens at Celtic Park though but hopefully next time we go back, the Green Brigade will be somewhere else. Incomprehensible racket for 90 minutes, accompanied by some inconsiderate sod banging on a drum. Atmosphere? Questionable!

Not being smart arsey but can someone please explain what MacDonald is supposed to bring to the team?

I genuinely don't like to single out players for criticism and have never booed a Saints player. However it seems that playing with him from the start is like playing with 10 men.

Ghostie something wrong with my computer meaning I cant quote previous posts ; I was going to "like" your post #149 but decided  I did not like it although I agree 100%. Saints today were piss poor insipid did not have a clue. More disappointed today than I was at Tynie 2 weeks ago. At least Aberdeen were a decent team.

Not being smart arsey but can someone please explain what MacDonald is supposed to bring to the team?

He's meant to put his foot on the ball and make passes and be a link man, take the ball and move it on, from box to box, which in my eyes he did for part of the first half today. Clearly though, doing something for part of one half isn't a good afternoon's work.

When you look at him though, I think you expect more than that from him, especially since he doesn't have a killer pass in his locker.

He's meant to put his foot on the ball and make passes and be a link man, take the ball and move it on, from box to box, which in my eyes he did for part of the first half today. Clearly though, doing something for part of one half isn't a good afternoon's work.

When you look at him though, I think you expect more than that from him, especially since he doesn't have a killer pass in his locker.

Thanks. Looks to me that he has **** all in his locker.

Except something he clearly uses to blackmail TW into picking him every week.

I genuinely don't like to single out players for criticism and have never booed a Saints player. However it seems that playing with him from the start is like playing with 10 men.

He's meant to put his foot on the ball and make passes and be a link man, take the ball and move it on, from box to box, which in my eyes he did for part of the first half today. Clearly though, doing something for part of one half isn't a good afternoon's work.

There was a 5 man midfield today, and yet MacDonald is the one man that is getting stick AGAIN! Millar was worse than MacD was, Croft played the ball back more than anything else, Dunne was not getting forward as much as he can, Dave McKay seems to think that he has to be 2 yards away from the player when he has the ball at his feet backing off and backing off.

MacDonald is not a player who is going to be in the spotlight and be standing out every game, but this constant criticism of him and the ghost comments is becoming pathetic.

There was a 5 man midfield today, and yet MacDonald is the one man that is getting stick AGAIN! Millar was worse than MacD was, Croft played the ball back more than anything else, Dunne was not getting forward as much as he can, Dave McKay seems to think that he has to be 2 yards away from the player when he has the ball at his feet backing off and backing off.

MacDonald is not a player who is going to be in the spotlight and be standing out every game, but this constant criticism of him and the ghost comments is becoming pathetic.

He's an utterly weak link in the side in my opinion.

What in your opinion does he positively offer to the side?