Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

I get rather pissed off when people doubt how fantastic Steve Lomas was.....

He is responsible for a lot of great stuff...and we as Saintees should be grateful for his time...

Using your own analogies, Lomas was like a chip shop pickled onion. Bigger, promised more but in reality just another pickled onion.

I get rather pissed off when people doubt how fantastic Steve Lomas was.....

He is responsible for a lot of great stuff...and we as Saintees should be grateful for his time...

I don't doubt how fantastic Steve Lomas was. He was not fantastic at all.

It's easy to say he was responsible for a lot of great stuff. You should really give examples to support your view, stick to Saints related items if you are going to reply, it will be easier for me to take a view on them.

Me, I was glad when he left.

I have always said I was grateful for what Lomas did for us.Had he come across as a more likeable person than he did he may well have gone on to do great things for Saints. I always got the impression that he was more interested in himself than the good of the club.I still believe he has the potential to be a success if he finds the right club.Anyway we should all remember the greatest thing he did for Saints was give us Sir Tommy.

I don't know if it's been shared on here before or not but this is pretty interesting interview with Tommy for Man City's YouTube channel from a few months ago. Good to hear him talking about his playing days, and they chat about Saints and the cup win.

Sounds like he was a great character and leader in the dressing room as a player, and very highly thought of.

It would be good to see Saints TV do something similar to this with ex players, send Roddy or somebody out to interview and chew the fat with some more of our own legends! **cough**ARE YOU LISTENING ROSS**cough**

I don't doubt how fantastic Steve Lomas was. He was not fantastic at all.

It's easy to say he was responsible for a lot of great stuff. You should really give examples to support your view, stick to Saints related items if you are going to reply, it will be easier for me to take a view on them.

Me, I was glad when he left.

Once again the obvious escapes you ...Lomas brought TW ... I for one did not worry one bit when he left and was glad to have TW as Manager .... However Lomas added punch and belief into our team and TW used that experience of working with Lomas to install his method of respect ,graft and a sense of togetherness that was probably lacking but don't underestimate the aggression that lomas installed ...

Once again the obvious escapes you ...Lomas brought TW ... I for one did not worry one bit when he left and was glad to have TW as Manager .... However Lomas added punch and belief into our team and TW used that experience of working with Lomas to install his method of respect ,graft and a sense of togetherness that was probably lacking but don't underestimate the aggression that lomas installed ...

Lomas shook yer hand then? :wink:

It's a funny situation, with managers in football these days.  Clubs with a settled management team seem few and far between.  A lot of this must surely be down to the insecurity of the managers themselves in the job.  There seems to be a drive to move to a 'better' club as soon as possible, because in reality the successful career of the average manager is much shorter than that of a footballer.  I suppose if a manager fails at a big club, then he can drop down a league or two because that big club is on his CV forever.

I get the opposite impression from Tommy, a more traditional attitude to wanting to see the job through.  Maybe it's the mindset of a goalkeeper who spent much of his career as second choice at clubs, or injured, and playing the longer game.  He got his reward in many ways by playing for N Ireland so many times.

Our last few managers, Coyle, McInnes, Lomas, all seemed to be clearly using Saints as a stepping stone to becoming a great manager somewhere bigger. Tommy seems to want to become a great manager for Saints.

And why not?  Why follow the trends just for the sake of it?

Our last few managers, Coyle, McInnes, Lomas, all seemed to be clearly using Saints as a stepping stone to becoming a great manager somewhere bigger. Tommy seems to want to become a great manager for Saints.

And why not?  Why follow the trends just for the sake of it?

And where are the three of them now?  certainly no better off for their stepping stone.

And where are the three of them now?  certainly no better off for their stepping stone.

McInnes is onto a good thing at Aberdeen to be fair, but not the other two.  The question is really whether McInnes had to go down south before he went to Aberdeen, did it help at all?  He went to Aberdeen at the time of a financial change - they have invested successfully in the club and increased the support again accordingly.  It's a success story in the making for many more reasons than McInnes (albeit he deserves credit for the performances this season)

Edited by montrosesaintee