Player contracts and transfers

David123

I think Tommy will bring a couple in during this transfer window, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple go too. Maybe some fring players out on loan.

For me, as much as I think Spoony has bags of skill, he is way too inconsistent. Yes, he can swing in a great cross or free kick now and then, but far too often he overhits them or losses the ball in a dangerous place trying to be clever. In a ideal world, he'd stay and be an impact player.

Interesting though that's Tommy specifically called out Swanson and Joe. In part probably a message to Brown on Swanson to pull the finger out, but also a message to the likes of Spoony, Liam etc that they need to step it up.

Anyone know how Craig Thompson is getting on a stranraer? He looked decent for the short run of games after o'halloran left. Might be worth bringing him back in January as another pacy option

Not allowed to play in cup last week so looks like Saints keeping options open. Don't know how he was doing with them though.

I think Greg Hurst scored for Berwick yesterday but Hurst doesn't seem to be in goal if he is with East Fife.

most people are still waiting for you to get a round in.

Would have got a round in last time I saw you, but for the fact my hands and wrists were swollen, preventing me from getting my wallet out.

Now its my wallet that's swollen.:wink: At least till I get back from Oz.

OK back on track. Only way IMHO that player''s will leave is the "fringe" players might be asking their agents' to find them employment elsewhere.

Edited by HOODLUM65

A wee bit of praise for Spoony on the bbc - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38289574

"David Wotherspoon caught my eye on Saturday in an impressively-organised St Johnstone display against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

Not just because he rattled a late free-kick against the inside of the post, although it was a brilliant strike and just a fraction away from winning all three points for the Perth team.

Nor because Wotherspoon was notching up a milestone for Saints - a 150th appearance for his hometown team.

No, it was his overall performance that grabbed my attention. An attacking midfielder by trade, he was diligent in his defensive duties, constantly stemming the attacking flow of Aberdeen left-back Graeme Shinnie.

Wotherspoon was impressive going forward as well and was unlucky not to hammer home a set-piece match-winner."

Spoony can be class on the ball when he has his day and is one of the more creative players within the group of players, so it's a no brainer to keep him in the squad.

I reckon we need some fresh legs up the top of the park though. Macca's a valuable player for us so I wouldn't dare let him go, although that being said he's at his peak and has only got a couple more seasons at best given his age.

I'm not that confident in Graeme Cummins and feel that he has offered little to nothing in this team. And Kano is a hit or a miss...has his on and off days but improving steadily, so I'd give him more chances to crack it in the league and establish himself as a first team starter.

Although that being said, I wouldn't think twice to cart Kano on loan and release Cummins to open up the wage budget (along with Gormley's freed loan wage) and bring in players on pre-contracts who are still relatively young and have experience in the league. Ali Crawford and Liam Boyce (both 25) are Tommy's sort of strikers. He has spoken highly of them when Saints have come up against Hamilton and Ross County and their consistent performances justify all the plaudits. We could be doing with a double swoop up top and freshen things up a bit, especially given we got creative players in Nige, Tade and Fran a couple years back.

But loan moves for both MOH and Mayso wouldn't go a miss either (or have I already crossed the line?) :D

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

There is zero chance of signing Crawford (who isn't much better than Wotherspoon), or Boyce (who earns more than most our squad as it is).

Cummins was absolutely superb last season but has never had a decent run of games since his injury, and is clearly struggling for confidence. He was better on Saturday than what he's been, and deserves more of a chance over the next few weeks. Worth noting in his 51 appearances for us he has 23 goals and assists. So, he averages a goal or assist every second game he plays.

In MacLeans first 51 games he had 20 goals and assists...

Edited by RandomGuy

There is zero chance of signing Crawford (who isn't much better than Wotherspoon), or Boyce (who earns more than most our squad as it is).

Cummins was absolutely superb last season but has never had a decent run of games since his injury, and is clearly struggling for confidence. He was better on Saturday than what he's been, and deserves more of a chance over the next few weeks. Worth noting in his 51 appearances for us he has 23 goals and assists. So, he averages a goal or assist every second game he plays.

In MacLeans first 51 games he had 20 goals and assists...

Thought Cummins was unlucky not to score v ICT and probably missing two gilt edged chances won't have improved his confidence unfortunately as there is a decent striker in there. A run of games is required as he can be a real option up front 

Have to agree about Cummins as stated previously by myself played well until he got his new contract and has never performed to that level since can see why he has been released at a few clubs,tommy has a nightmare Kane getting there works his socks off Cummins not good enough and macca brilliant but the man is not getting any younger

Boyce would be a good signing but doubt if we could afford him & doubt he would come.

Mind you having said that it may be time for us to invest in a proven player rather than wasting money on 6 or more signings every season who never make it & just cost a wage.

After 4/5 seasons we still have the same team ,more or less.

Guest ScottMann

Unless Ross County are blatantly fiddling their accounts they pay nearly 50% less than Saints on wages etc per player according to the accounts lodged with the SPL so somebody must be telling porkies.

Accountants will produce the figures you want. 

Unless Ross County are blatantly fiddling their accounts they pay nearly 50% less than Saints on wages etc per player according to the accounts lodged with the SPL so somebody must be telling porkies.

Davies, Burke and Boyce are three that would be amongst our highest earners, if not the highest. The likes of Fox, Mcevely, Gardens, Schalke and Curran are all decent wages too

Davies, Burke and Boyce are three that would be amongst our highest earners, if not the highest. The likes of Fox, Mcevely, Gardens, Schalke and Curran are all decent wages too

What's the figures? would be interested to see what their basic is, what sort of bonus are built in for staying up or a top six finish and how does it compare to Saints