St.Johnstone V Hearts - August 5th Season Opener

SaintJet

After a pretty miserable pre season and being dumped out the league cup with chastening defeats from lower league outfits we start the league campaign by welcoming  Hearts to McD on Saturday in what is sure to be a great atmosphere. 

Not looking to confident about this game but hope springs eternal and it would just be like Saints to hand the Jambos a defeat.

Lets get behind the lads and see if we can surprise ourselves.

39 minutes ago, Maskrey said:

Hearts don’t like it up them.  Get in their faces, be physical and play in the right areas.  They regularly shit the bed in Perth.  They are going to have in excess of 4500 fans behind them so we need to silence them early and get them on to their players backs from the off.

If only we had the players to do that.

4 hours ago, Maskrey said:

Hearts don’t like it up them.  Get in their faces, be physical and play in the right areas.  They regularly shit the bed in Perth.  They are going to have in excess of 4500 fans behind them so we need to silence them early and get them on to their players backs from the off.

The current bunch couldn't do that against Stirling Albion and Dan Phillips will be on a yellow after 5 minutes.

I wonder if the manager will return to a back three for this.

I know we've all had enough of that for the past few years but Brown's a doubt at right back, Dare's probably not match fit so converting to a three might be the best option with what we have available.

Plus, it might suit Gordon to go back to his preferred middle position in the three with McClelland and Considine either side.

Wright and Gallagher are used to playing the wing back role and we could get another body into centre midfield where we've been weak and easily dominated so far this season.

Mitov

McClelland Gordon Considine

McGowan

Wright Phillips Ballantyne Gallacher

May Jephcott

It shores up the defence and midfield a bit which is much needed.

The signings have been positive so far and I believe we will get better as time goes on, but we'll need to be patient for a while.

If we can grind it out and pick up points here and there for the first half of the season, then I'm confident we can get some momentum going after the winter break.

I hope the fans show patience with both the team and the new players as well.

Getting on their backs won't help.

I feel it's time for us to be the twelfth man and keep the squad positive.

And no better time to do this than starting against Hearts and their no doubt noisy following.

New league season, here we go.

I'm right up for this.

COYS!

Edited by Gekko

Three at the back for me, aye. Wasn’t so much the formation itself that was the issue, was more how we set up within it, and the complete unwillingness to ever move away from it. Certain amount of irony in that being the best shape for the players we have fully fit and available at the minute.