Levein new manager

saintgscot

Having seen the interviews last night and today I'm a bit happier. Levein gives us experience and the know-how to get the club organised better behind the scenes. Kirk is an unknown but he seems to be reasonably well thought of and he's also got experience of working with a bigger club - its not as if we're just taking a rookie from Brechin.

The interviews don't seem to show enthusiasm but I think a lot more of that is just Leveins laid-back style. A few less cliches than Davidson/Macca and he's obviously savvy enough to watch what he says. 

Proof will be over the next few games - if he can get that bit extra from the players then we should start to see things go our way once more.

7 hours ago, Aitchy said:

In Andy Kirks defence its not as though his only experience of football or coaching has been in the highland league. He played at a decent level and has coached at various levels including being the Hearts assistant and interim manager so its not as though he does not have experience of coaching players at this level. 

He’s played at a decent level?? Has he?

That’s not a term/phrase I would associate with someone like Andy Kirk’s career. I think that is usually a phrase reserved for guys who have played in some of the best leagues and have considerable international experience (both usually within successful sides) if playing 100-odd games for bang average mid-table Hearts sides and 11 caps for a Northern Ireland team that didn’t qualify for a single major tournament across the 10 year period where he earned his caps.

It is also only 2 years ago that he was coaching/managing 16/17 year old girls as his full time coaching job. That is quite a leap from that to a full time professional premiership team.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Just listened to his interview and thought he came over really well, obvious he really rates Andy Kirk and Cleland is part of the team too, I half expected him to be away.

Only thing for me, if I picked him up right, last Wednesdays game v Killie, only reason he was there was to watch Max ? and he nearly left when Max wasn’t starting.

If that’s true ( and no reason he d say that if it wasn’t ) does it also suggest that our board seeing him at the game put him in their minds. In other words, guess I m asking, was he on our list of candidates before they saw him at the game ? Or is the whole thing down to a bit of chance.

Guess possibly never know and doesn’t really matter.

4 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Just listened to his interview and thought he came over really well, obvious he really rates Andy Kirk and Cleland is part of the team too, I half expected him to be away.

Only thing for me, if I picked him up right, last Wednesdays game v Killie, only reason he was there was to watch Max ? and he nearly left when Max wasn’t starting.

If that’s true ( and no reason he d say that if it wasn’t ) does it also suggest that our board seeing him at the game put him in their minds. In other words, guess I m asking, was he on our list of candidates before they saw him at the game ? Or is the whole thing down to a bit of chance.

Guess possibly never know and doesn’t really matter.

I’m sure he said Geoff had been in touch before that game

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He’s played at a decent level?? Has he?

That’s not a term/phrase I would associate with someone like Andy Kirk’s career. I think that is usually a phrase reserved for guys who have played in some of the best leagues and have considerable international experience (both usually within successful sides) if playing 100-odd games for bang average mid-table Hearts sides and 11 caps for a Northern Ireland team that didn’t qualify for a single major tournament across the 10 year period where he earned his caps.

It is also only 2 years ago that he was coaching/managing 16/17 year old girls as his full time coaching job. That is quite a leap from that to a full time professional premiership team.

I would suggest he has played at a decent level. Over 100 caps fora Hearts team when the quality of player in Scotland was much higher than it currently is. He has played in European football, won leagues and represented his country. By anyone standards that is decent.

As for the coaching comment, the point I was making was that this is not just some inexperienced coach that we are throwing into things. He has coached at youth levels, the senior men’s game and in the women’s game. I think all of these experiences will have developed and improved him as a coach. As much as I have a few concerns about Levein, a man as experienced as him would not entertain having him as an assistant if he did not have something about him.

2 hours ago, Aitchy said:

I would suggest he has played at a decent level. Over 100 caps fora Hearts team when the quality of player in Scotland was much higher than it currently is. He has played in European football, won leagues and represented his country. By anyone standards that is decent.

As for the coaching comment, the point I was making was that this is not just some inexperienced coach that we are throwing into things. He has coached at youth levels, the senior men’s game and in the women’s game. I think all of these experiences will have developed and improved him as a coach. As much as I have a few concerns about Levein, a man as experienced as him would not entertain having him as an assistant if he did not have something about him.

Kirk played at a far better level than Jose Mourhinio Aitchy, so quite hopeful 🤞

Levein was a surprise appointment to me and I was a bit underwhelmed at first. The truth is Saints could not risk another rookie, not fair on us as supporters and not fair on them. I think we had a good run going down the relatively ‘untried’ line.. Coyle McInnes Lomas Wright Callum it was inevitable our luck would run out! I bet no one saw Callum deliver 2 cups? After our success I heard more than one Saints fan say we’ll probably get relegated now!! Albeit tongue in cheek .. I think the calmness Levein exudes can only be a positive and I am sure now that he is a ‘Saintee’ we the fans will get behind him.. 

11 hours ago, Aitchy said:

Would agree with this, and after listening to Levein talking about Kirk's background I feel a bit more reassured about him. After all, he's here as assistant manager, not manager, and he has more coaching experience than our previous actual manager.

I don't think his playing career is especially relevant but I'd agree that his was "decent" (rather than brilliant!).

16 hours ago, Ritspeed said:

Okay, so the dust is settling.  We've all had fun speculating on the next management appointment and we now know it's Craig Levein.   There has been a lot of dissent posted and I have been disappointed in some of the "I'll never set foot in McDiarmid whilst he is Manager" comments.  I feel it is incumbent on fans and supporters of St Johnstone FC to give as much encouragement and support as possible as we try and extricate ourselves from the current predicament.  COYS! 

As for Leveins initial interviews I'm not reading into them as much as BH.  It appears he has watched two Saints matches, one pre-season and the Killie game.  (He came to see Max and swithered whether to stay when Max wasn't starting). So I thought his responses were quite pragmatic and honest.  I would have been more scathing if he had come away with bulls*** suggesting he had been following and admiring Saints closely all these years. 

Anyone saying they won't set foot in Mcd are not true Saints fans

On 11/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, Saintdunc said:

Just a thought that gives me some degree of concern, and that is the prospect of Levein bringing the Kirk with him, only to become our Director of Football at the conclusion of the season. Andy Kirk then takes over as Coach/Manager for next season. 

The owner of Brechin City sell his club and becomes our new owner. 

We move to Brechin! 🤣

Great food at Brechin and the hedge

2 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

What do we think that Levein has learned from watching the Killie game and last night?

From what he's said there is a core of a good team and the players are up for the fight. Problem is  sharpness and confidence - we've faded for the last 30 in recent games (including Pittodrie) and you can see the heads go down when we concede. The positives though are that we're finding the net and looking better each game. 

I think he knows he's got work to do but after his interviews post-match last night I'm feeling optimistic he knows what to do and how to get us winning regularly again

I think he'll have been encouraged. We definitely know how to play, and it even now looks like we know how to score goals and create chances. We just need a bit more structure and discipline, and also a bit of confidence and belief. Those are all elements that I think someone like Levein should comfortably be able to work on.

One thing I've read a lot of this season is fans on various platforms saying our players aren't good enough, but I really feel that's nonsense. For the most part this is a good squad but getting good results out of them is going to be about organisation and mindset.

Right now I really struggle to see any reason why we should remain at the bottom of the league. We have a little bit of freshness and impetus now which is something the teams above us don't have. But we desperately need to get a good result on Saturday to give us something to build on. If we lose that one it's going to feel like a massive blow.