Murray Davidson

Pat McGroin

Said it for years and often criticized for it.

We all know what Davidson brings. He's at his best in a tight scrappy game, but and it's a big but, his central midfield partner is often left with a huge amount of work to do in order to keep possession and start attacking phases of play from deeper positions. Murray regularly is nowhere to be seen when centre-backs or full-backs need an option when they are put under pressure (a job Millar did so well for us.).

I will never doubt his commitment to the cause and his willingness to put his body on the line for the club, but it's often been the case we play better football on the eye when we have a couple of central midfielders that are willing to attempt a possession football game. (Millar and Dunne the prime example.)

I'd like to see us give the duo of either Callachan and Goss or Craig a run of games moving forward. Depending on the game I think Watt could be a good option in the 10 and then MOH playing on the last man upfront (in the position Tommy said he has been signed to play in).

3 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Is it a coincidence that our excellent run of form coincided with Muzza’s injury? 

Muzz played against Motherwell, Livi, st Mirren, Hamilton, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock in that great run. He only missed the Hibs game during that spell. 

Edited by Ali91

14 minutes ago, Ali91 said:

Muzz played against Motherwell, Livi, st Mirren, Hamilton, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock in that great run. He only missed the Hibs game during that spell. 

Do you not think our midfield looks more balanced with a Craig - Callaghan partnership.

I love Muzz but he’s not a ball player. 

As Ali91 has pointed out, the original point looks a bit silly when Muzz played almost all of the initial unbeaten run.

I do think the midfield is a bit unbalanced now though. Tommy wants to play Goss, which is fair enough as he's probably the best footballing midfielder we have. However....what does he do with Liam now? Not left midfield like he did at Hamilton as he;s not pacy enough to get up and down. Not advanced like he was today as players can just run off him.

Could Goss play with both Muzz and Callachan with MOH and Kennedy wider?

On 2/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Pat McGroin said:

Is it a coincidence that our excellent run of form coincided with Muzza’s injury? 

I think our midfield looks a lot less balanced with him in the team. 

Would much rather see Callaghan playing in his role. 

On 2/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, Ali91 said:

On 2/10/2019 at 6:35 PM, Pat McGroin said:

Do you not think our midfield looks more balanced with a Craig - Callaghan partnership.

I love Muzz but he’s not a ball player. 

This just proves you're trolling. Asks question while criticising Davidson, gets answer proving he's wrong, deflects onto something else, sounds about right. 

FWIW I agree to a point. His lack of ability to take the ball and do anything other than pass back to the keeper, or a simple couple of yard passes to the side, frustrate me. He has the odd burst forward with the ball but it's not something you're guaranteed to see every game.

Hes spent the last few games letting people run off him aswell. Although against Celtic it was a struggle for everyone. 

In essence, in my opinion, unless hes beside a Millar, who can do all the "football stuff" for him, hes not as effective, as hes nobody to shuttle the ball too once he wins it, so he spends more of his time on the ball, which is showing his limitations.

I agree with a lot the aforementioned points about Muzz being off the boil but players blow hot and cold all the time; remember not that long ago Sinclair at Celtic was being lambasted about his form and he looks like he's found a spark again and is in great form

A fit Muzz throwing himself into tackles and breaking up the play is great asset for us and he always chips in with a goal or two.

• 4 years later...

No idea why there hasn't been anything official from the Club, but from what I have heard, unfortunately he has had to call time on his career due to injury, was a major setback following the op he went through towards the end of last year. 

Hopefully a decent game can lined up in the near future for his Testimonial game and we all get the chance to give a club legend the proper send off he deserves. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 12:35 PM, slf said:

Bye bye

Unfortunatly this is the kind of ingorance that people need to put up with. How many years of service commitment and speaking from knowing murray all the years of his style of play and coming back early from injuries to give 100% for the club. The thing is, football fans are quick enough at criticising players for a lack of loyalty, unfortunatly they are to ignorant to show it works both ways. Embarassing

1 hour ago, Ross 1986 said:

Unfortunatly this is the kind of ingorance that people need to put up with. How many years of service commitment and speaking from knowing murray all the years of his style of play and coming back early from injuries to give 100% for the club. The thing is, football fans are quick enough at criticising players for a lack of loyalty, unfortunatly they are to ignorant to show it works both ways. Embarassing

I wouldn't lose any sleep over anything SLF posts.