Lomas Tenure Up?

St Mikey

All this overachieving talk is not positive in the slightest, it clearly shows a man lacking in confidence in his own ability and starting to clutch at straws. Because we finished 6th last season, should we always settle for bottom 6 or relegation from now on? Listen to other clubs. Even St Mirren are coming out saying they want to finish 2nd. Aberdeen wanted it far far more than we did yesterday. Overachieving talk is losing talk and will see us contend with Dundee.

Did he seriously just come out and tell a national news source that his team overachieved last season? the man's an idiot...what manager in their right mind would say that? so he's basically telling them we shouldn't be aiming for top 6 because it's unrealistic and we should be happy with a bottom 6 finish this season...and this after only 3 games? nice way to boost the confidence and morale in the squad...muppet!

All this overachieving talk is not positive in the slightest, it clearly shows a man lacking in confidence in his own ability and starting to clutch at straws. Because we finished 6th last season, should we always settle for bottom 6 or relegation from now on? Listen to other clubs. Even St Mirren are coming out saying they want to finish 2nd. Aberdeen wanted it far far more than we did yesterday. Overachieving talk is losing talk and will see us contend with Dundee.

Here comes the WAP positivity brigade. It's a fact that we overachieved last season. That doesn't mean that we can't, or won't, overachieve again this season. It's crazy for saints fans to expect top 6 every season though.

I don't buy this 'overachieving' thing. Who exactly is that much better than us that we shouldn't be in the mix every season for top 6?? Okay, sometimes we will achieve it and sometimes not.

This season, with the stability at our club and the squad at our disposal compared to our rivals, is top 6 really overachieving :?::?:

Edited by Edstar101

Aberdeen were MILES ahead of us yesterday , dundee united, hearts , motherwell , rangers and celtic were all better last season . It WILL be a struggle to achieve top 6 this season but it is something we should aim for . . . . . but i can't help thinking we might be lucky to finish 7th or 8th.

At a time when leaders are required in and off the pitch can I even it up a little and ask where has our captain been?? Quiet and not imposing at all, no one calling a line for the defence and taking charge of the player after they cross the white line- many individual errors too which managed can't be blamed for.

Forget the finger pointing and pull together

At a time when leaders are required in and off the pitch can I even it up a little and ask where has our captain been?? Quiet and not imposing at all, no one calling a line for the defence and taking charge of the player after they cross the white line- many individual errors too which managed can't be blamed for.

Forget the finger pointing and pull together

Several times yesterday dave mackay had the ball and was looking to play it up the wing to hasselbaink ,who was out of position or not looking for the ball ,and he had to turn back or inside but instead of shouting and telling nigel he just shook his head and muttered to himself .Thats not what i want from my captain , having a bad game or not .

I have never called for a managers head since Billy Stark in his first season in the division one, but I'd like to see Lomas moved on.

Rumours aside, he seems tactically inept and I don't like the way he is with the media at all.

While we have lost some great talent, the club has backed him well in the transfer market this summer. The continued moaning is seriously boring. Yes we were down a few players yesterday, but the likes of McInnes would of kept things simple, kept it tight and got the players to work their socks off.

I actually don't blame the players too much for the game yesterday, they certainly tried, but the leadership and decision making from the management wasn't there.

The squad is attractive enough for a decent gaffer to work with.

I don't buy this 'overachieving' thing. Who exactly is that much better than us that we shouldn't be in the mix every season for top 6?? Okay, sometimes we will achieve it and sometimes not.

This season, with the stability at our club and the squad at our disposal compared to our rivals, is top 6 really overachieving?

This season it certainly wouldn't be. I never thought I'd see the day where I was expecting Saints to make the top six but with the squad we have this season, I think it's a fair onus to put on the players and manager. Don't get me wrong, if we miss out it doesn't necessarily mean the season has been a total failure but as things stand, I think it could represent a disappointing campaign.

In saying that, I don't think it's realistic to expect our current standing to last forever and the top six will never be something we can achieve every season. At the moment, we are benefiting from a poor Hibernian and Aberdeen being behind where they should be and need to make the most of that, which Lomas doesn't seem to appreciate.

it is nonsense for Lomas to say we overachieved last season. We were 6th because we were the 6th best team mainly because there were 6 teams worse than us which will not be the case this season as Aberdeen & Hibs can`t be as bad as last season.

We should actually finished higher than 6th if Lomas hadn`t given up & tried to keep us out of Europe.

Bookies are never wrong & going by the last 7or 8 games of the season he probably looks favourite to go first.

When Lomas does go there will be no shortage of willing candidates for the job.

McInness has raised the profile of the job again and his end of season survival will show others the springboard the Saints hot seat can offer if they can perform.

We need to be a lot more carefull this time and don't give in to some cocky ginger would be that kept texting and phoning to show his interest, new man in for Saturday please :wink:

Agree, would lomas rather the board put the club in a position where they are in debt and run the risk of going into administration to bring in a couple of extra players. Believe the board are looking at keeping the club running for the long term and not looking for a one good season.

Lomas as a manager needs to accept the last game we lost because of his tactics and the fact we were well beaten and not because we had injurys. At some time every club does.

At the end of last season and against Motherwell we were actually ok and could have won but just lacked the cutting edge. We just need to have the two strikers up front to have any chance!!

The play of the team is one thing but I find his interviews leave me asking more questions. The one this weekend about Saints over-achieving last year is just bananas. We finished sixth and were hounded by the rest of the top 6. If he thinks that is over-achieving then I'd question his position.

There is going to be a few eatin humble pie if we put a few wins together in the next few weeks, the guy needs time, he's inexperienced and will make mistake like yesterday. I still back him and the full strike force will be back next week to give the Hivees a whooping.

And don't you think people would be delighted to eat humble pie..I certainly would , because it would mean our team is doing well . Even though a lot of fans are calling for him to go, they would rather he got it right. We are all Saints fans and this is no witch hunt, this is simply concern that our team may well be being managed badly..

Go on Steve Lomas. You show us, make us look bad and make our team look good and be successful..My knife and fork will be ready and waiting to dine on that humble pie.. :wink:

Yesterday showed a complete lack of leadership from the dug out - way out of his depth - I do not think that he consulted Wright or Cleland once. The players showed the effort but got nothing from him, we looked very disjointed and unable to cope with a very ordinary Aberdeen side - jacket shooglie nail, spring to mind. I think there will be a very one sided conversation between SB and Lomas first thing on Monday. If by some miracle he retains his post he has a lot of work to do in appeasing the very disgruntled fans...

Yesterday showed a complete lack of leadership from the dug out - way out of his depth - I do not think that he consulted Wright or Cleland once. The players showed the effort but got nothing from him, we looked very disjointed and unable to cope with a very ordinary Aberdeen side - jacket shooglie nail, spring to mind. I think there will be a very one sided conversation between SB and Lomas first thing on Monday. If by some miracle he retains his post he has a lot of work to do in appeasing the very disgruntled fans...

I thought the players looked second best from the off, and that filtered back to the support pretty early on. Aberdeen on the other hand, were well up for it.

It doesn't say much for Lomas's man management skills, if he can't motivate the players for their first home game of the season.

I think it's fair to say we overachieved last season. We finished above teams who have much larger revenues and greater fan bases. To finish in the top 6 in Scotland is brilliant for a club like St Johnstone.

I think it's fair to say the you're talking bo***cks. Why shouldn't we be above anyone bar the bigot brothers.

These larger revenues you talk about, tend to be large debts, and the greater fan bases, simply ain't that great, for the majority.

Here comes the WAP positivity brigade. It's a fact that we overachieved last season. That doesn't mean that we can't, or won't, overachieve again this season. It's crazy for saints fans to expect top 6 every season though.

So if the mighty Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd put out crap teams in the future, we can only be above them by overachieving. No we simply go out and beat what the f**k is in front of us.

This is not overachieving, it's f***ing sport for ch**st sake.