Saints v Aberdeen Sun 7th Aug. K-O 12.15pm

Guest ScottMann

The odds depend not only on the chances of it happening, but also on how much money is going on (ie how much the bookmaker is risking). The odds probably did start the same, but much more money has gone on Dundee and Motherwell. Put a couple of grand on Saints and you'll see the odds come down!

Great thanks. So it's basically down to Dundee and Motherwell having loads of roasters. Who knew.

Guest ScottMann

I think the Alston criticism's a bit off. He's played all his football at one club and in a lower division. He's to adapt to a new club, a new league and being played in a position that isn't his best. The season's 3 weeks old. Let's give the guy some breathing space before passing any sort of judgement on him.

I think the Alston criticism's a bit off. He's played all his football at one club and in a lower division. He's to adapt to a new club, a new league and being played in a position that isn't his best. The season's 3 weeks old. Let's give the guy some breathing space before passing any sort of judgement on him.

Hi. You new here?

I personally said and stand by the fact that I thought Blair Alston had a poor game today and thought he didn't look like a natural wide player, as quite often he drifted infield and we were left crying out for an out ball wide right with loads of space open but had no-one there.  It is possible the manager asked Alston to tuck in to leave the wide area open for Joe to run into the space, but I don't think that was the case.

I think Alston is a good signing, he's at a good age and will hopefully kick on.  It is a step up for him but he will improve with confidence and as he settles.  For balance, had a good game at Elgin and linked up well with Watson that day.

I think Cummins was good for us last season and an important part of the squad.   I do think he misses a lot of good chances, particularly the early part of this season, but he's still a decent player and I'm glad we have him.

At the end of the day they're just my opinions and don't matter a f*ck.  Just like none of our opinions matter in the grand scheme of things. But without folk giving an honest assessment of a team performance, what is the point in a match thread?

Is it really so bad to give opinions on our players?  Someone else thinks Paton should start ahead of Liam Craig on Wednesday, could be right.  I don't see how any of this is writing off players or making them scapegoats.  Those that are unhappy could perhaps give guidance on what we should say post-match...

Im glad we signed him and he has lots of promise.I still stand by what I said that he was rightly subbed aagainst Falkirk and today as things seemed to pass him by.We got a point,kept a clean sheet and Alston has had more game time to adapt to his new employers.Really impressed with Spoony tracking back today.Its early yet to be downhearted at all

Don't think the game was quite as bad as others- it wasn't the best but it was a result based on being solid.

The defence were fantastic. I'm not his biggest fan, but I thought Scobbie was superb the whole game and didn't put a foot wrong besides Ando. Also thought Joe had a strong game. Think the same four have earned the right to start again midweek.

Alston is a central midfielder and will be a success there- I'm not going to judge him on one game. I thought Craig started very well, but got a little sloppy in the second 45.

I think one of the biggest positives for me was Chris Kane coming on and throwing his weight around a little. I think his game could benefit from a little fire at times. I'd have him in the starting XI on Wednesday.

Has anyone seen Alston play in the middle?

my Falkirk mates say he played right wing for them. he wasnt great today but i thought he was one of our best players at Manchester, brechin and glentoran. 

Cummins has been poor since he got injured last winter and it pains me to say it but Liam is well past his best. 

Decent point against a team who will be right up there at the season's end.  Defensively we were terrific.  Going forward just lacked a wee bit of quality.  I think Alston will improve and like others I'm not sure playing wide right is his position.  Cummins missed a couple of chances but overall I though did a decent job - certainly nowhere near as bad as others seem to think.  Happy enough. with that.

Has anyone seen Alston play in the middle?

my Falkirk mates say he played right wing for them.

This is what makes me think he was brought in as a right midfielder.

No way is he getting in the center past Chris, Murray, Paton and to an extent Craig.  Obviously injuries will probably dictate he will probably get a start there at some point, but you assume he was brought in as a first team starter and that right hand side was his predominant position to compete for.

I for one really enjoyed the game. A tense and turgid goalless draw. Glad we played the sheep early as they already look like they will hand out a few pastings this season. I hope the lad Alston's confidence is not affected by our usual band of boo boys. TW really does have to look at increasing our options upfront. Cummins gets into good positions but needs to improve on his chances to goals ratio. 

Craig Fowler in The Scotsman sums up perfectly one of our legends.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/five-things-we-learned-from-st-johnstone-0-0-aberdeen-1-4196743

Now over to Monty's scientific conundrum called MOM......

Edited by AthensSaint

Back four was immense, Ando mom.

Swanson always looking to create something, Muzz okay, Liam not at his best, and I'm sure Alston won't play that badly again, he obviously prefers to come infield more than wide, but left big gaps down that right wing..

Macca was Macca, Cummings was pretty awful. Bad luck with his first chance but second looked a sitter from my angle. Kane looked far hungrier and capable when he came on. Spoony was fine. Coulson?? I've got a horrible feeling of another Adam Morgan I'm afraid.

Oh, and Mannus had a great game.

Midge used to leave gaps when he drifted inside from playing on the right, but not so much now. Alston might have to learn the same lesson.

Mannus failed to come for a few balls which were his and he doesn't shout otherwise we'd all hear it. Slow distribution too at times. Competent, but I wouldn't say he has a great game.

Cummins missed a couple of chances but overall I though did a decent job - certainly nowhere near as bad as others seem to think.  Happy enough. with that.

Cummins has been missing a LOT of chances. You could say it's good that he's in the position to miss them. He needs a goal or two to help his confidence.

Midge used to leave gaps when he drifted inside from playing on the right, but not so much now. Alston might have to learn the same lesson.

Mannus failed to come for a few balls which were his and he doesn't shout otherwise we'd all hear it. Slow distribution too at times. Competent, but I wouldn't say he has a great game.

He saved every shot that came at him, and caught every cross that was his, except one which he out jumped everyone and punched clear.

What do you want from a goalie?

Just watched the highlights and Cummins' misses look worse than I thought. On the 1st one, he actually has time to get his feet sorted but still scalffs it. On the 2nd one (when Danny knocked it back across goal), he just misses it. On both chances he had a lot more time than I thought he had watching it live.

If there's a budget for one more player, it has to be a front man. MOH on loan? :cool: