Scottish Cup 5th Round - Saints v Partick 11/2/17

jhq

The fact it was a Cup game probably soured the result for some, and the fact it's a rerun of numerous games against bottom half sides at Mcdiarmid this season. 

Can understand folk considering not going back this season too, as that's our season now over. We're not going to drop into the bottom half, but we're not consistent enough to catch Hearts due to this poor home form. £23 every week for dead rubbers will be hard to swallow for some. 

I wouldn't give up hope of 4th quite yet. We are capable of winning games against Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers. The split could also be interesting. Maybe Tommy will figure out how to best the bottom teams at home. You never know.

It depends more on Hearts than us, to me. In fact their result today might define their season. If they struggle as they did in the early days of Cathro then yeah, there's still a chance. If they perform as they have been lately then we won't catch them. 

All my opinion of course, but we've not played particularly well since the new year, despite the results. 

When you support Saints you will always get games like this! I 'get' the comments, I too was very disappointed, in fact the last time I felt this disappointed was our defeat against Aberdeen at Tynecastle in the cup! I passed on the chance to go to Forfar in the next cup game because I knew if we were knocked out of the cup I would question my belief in following Saints! Anyway we beat Forfar and went on to win the cup! I remember being pilloried on this very forum for having a wobble on my faith! My point is that it is the nature of the game & the fan! I don't think our team/manager went out deliberately to get knocked out! Just sometimes it just isn't your day, and sadly our name won't be written on the cup this year.. disappointed but still incredibly proud of our wee diddy team performing on a budget the size of a pea! Only last week giving a fright to the 'Goliath' that is Celtic, who needed a 12th man to defeat us! ;-) 

Not first to the ball today.

Not first to the loose ball.

Lucky if we were third to the ball today.

Sadly lacking pace and speed of thought.

As an aside- thought if a player got treatment on the pitch he had to leave the pitch before play could resume.

Ref. turned his back and ran off while the player got up and stayed on the pitch. Sideline assistant who was 3 yards away failed to draw Ref's attention to the fact. Unless the rules have changed, I am forming the opinion that all ref's are in desperate need of a refresher course.

P.S. I am not blaming the ref.for today's defeat. 

AND 2 ND BEST TO THE TAXI, CANNAE BLAME THE TAXI DRIVER FOR THAT EITHER LAUGH OUT LOUD.

The fact remains that fans of quite a few clubs presently lower than us will tune into the draw with anticipation and we wont is disappointing.Since that glorious day at Darkhead we have now slipped quietly out of the cup with barely a whimper 3 times.

However health (and wealth) permitting I will be back watching MY team ASAP.

I think whoever mentioned the blank saturdays as the cup progresses hit the nail on the head. Blank Saturdays are awful for any reason, but when other, much lesser teams like Ayr and Rangers are still in the mix it becomes hard to bear. The season is far from over, though. The race for 4th, and a very high chance of Europe, is now on, and should keep things warm for a good few weeks at least.

That was pish. Pish goal to lose. 

Pish crossfield ball from macca, pish from foster who sold himself as was never getting it and pish from millar. He was there and could of marked nr13, but couldn't be arsed. 

Summed us up. 

As has been said, we can't break teams down, when they set up like we would against better teams. That is why our results are poor against teams lower than us in the league, especially at home. Could go on but we all know it. Have been discussing it for years. But it doesn't change, as we don't bring in players that can change it. We have a lot of like for like players for each position. 

They have. If the opponent player gets booked in the incident, then the player receiving treatment does not require to leave the field of play

I did wonder why Edwards asked the ref. He was just making sure of the new rule

Must have went home and googled that edstar, as you never gave us this info at the time. 

Fans are, maybe justifiably, complaining about the lack of entertainment, quite often citing our results against the better sides but for me, the reason we aren't getting results at home is because the manager is trying to send the team out to entertain. It's not a leap to suggest that if we can have a very strong away record and consistently better Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers in direct encounters then we could get results against Thistle, Killie etc... in Perth, if we adopted the same tactics.

The problem for TW is that less than 200 saw the win at Rugby Park before Xmas and less than 300 the game-killing performance at Firhill. Fans see a win and wonder why we can't replicate it in Perth but if I'd far rather we kept trying to find a way to get the better of these sides in an attacking manner at home than resorted the away tactics. That really would kill the crowds. I do accept what we are doing at the moment isn't working though.

It's easy to say but the first goal is the vital thing. We've scored the first goal at home eight times this season and that's our eight wins. Yesterday was a slow start and that's not acceptable. That needs to be the focus, starting these games with the right intensity, which we were good at for a long while when our home record was stellar. Look at our away record back then though...

Do you think it's our distinct lack of pace that means we have to play a standard 4-4-2 to deliver any kind of entertainment?  Were we more negative in our approach at home when we had the likes of May and/or O'Halloran who could rip a team apart on the counter attack?

Without pace, everything becomes a bit predictable.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Hey  what u got against a bunch of amateurs going out on the piss on Friday night and playing Saturday??

On more than a few occasions I'm sure they would perform admirably. 

Been there wore the hat!! But I'm sure they would have shown a bit more fight and desire for the one trophy left to play for, and with a few coming to the end of their careers, what more incentive do they need, but Partick are an awkward unit to play against and for all their chat in the last few weeks are hardly the globetrotters of the top league.

I wouldn't give up hope of 4th quite yet. We are capable of winning games against Aberdeen, Hearts and Rangers. The split could also be interesting. Maybe Tommy will figure out how to best the bottom teams at home. You never know.

The good news is we have more games away  than at home before the split.

I'm not 'chucking it'' or being ''hysterical''. My ''faith'' hasn't wobbled or whatever you want to say. I'll be back as I always am.

I'm just not going to pay money to sit in the cold and watch that. It was shite, it was boring and for me it was all too typical a performance and very predictable. I don't know what our problem is when it comes to teams below us in the league, but yesterday, Partick simply wanted it more than us and it showed by a mile. That's not the Saints I know. The Saints I know always gave 100%, always bust a gut from the start, you could never ever say we were out fought on the pitch. Well it's happening too often. Teams below us come to Perth and do to us what we used to do to everyone. I think the most entertaining thing at McDairmid yesterday was the Ghost and his crew shouting pish at the players and the ref........

The most telling thing for me is the fact that my gran, who has been watching Saints since the dawn of time and has been taken me since I was able to go, said for the 1st time ever to me that it's too cold and expensive to sit and watch that. 

I'm not 'chucking it'' or being ''hysterical''. My ''faith'' hasn't wobbled or whatever you want to say. I'll be back as I always am.

I'm just not going to pay money to sit in the cold and watch that. It was shite, it was boring and for me it was all too typical a performance and very predictable. I don't know what our problem is when it comes to teams below us in the league, but yesterday, Partick simply wanted it more than us and it showed by a mile. That's not the Saints I know. The Saints I know always gave 100%, always bust a gut from the start, you could never ever say we were out fought on the pitch. Well it's happening too often. Teams below us come to Perth and do to us what we used to do to everyone. I think the most entertaining thing at McDairmid yesterday was the Ghost and his crew shouting pish at the players and the ref........

The most telling thing for me is the fact that my gran, who has been watching Saints since the dawn of time and has been taken me since I was able to go, said for the 1st time ever to me that it's too cold and expensive to sit and watch that. 

So will you be sneaking in?

I agree completely with this point. When Ross visited us when they were rock bottom they went after us from the gun and we couldn't get in to the game. We are too predictable at home are always left chasing the game.

I agree completely with this point. When Ross visited us when they were rock bottom they went after us from the gun and we couldn't get in to the game. We are too predictable at home are always left chasing the game.

I think you touch on something there. We do appear a little one dimensional at home this season.

ashamed to say our fans are sounding like old firm fans

Only the negativity will be posted from a cup defeat... We all like a good moan.  Not many positives can come from this game...  so I'd say this forum sound just like any other team in the UK when dumped out the cup....

Reminds me 12 months ago and getting dumped by Hibs at Tynecastle in the league cup semi final 2-1.. Just so frustrating as we know we can play better... But that's football.. 

What I found most disappointing was our lack of imagination in the strategy for this game; that's on the coaches. Here was an opportunity to switch up our normal game plan from the bread & butter of the league, maybe push an extra man up front. Try something different.  I said in my first post on this thread in my opinion we were playing with house money. Instead we started as we always do at home trying to "feel" our way in to the game and got caught cold by a Thistle team far more energetic than us in the opening period. Been stated here earlier the first goal is so critical nowadays.

I was hoping for a rip roaring cup tie with both teams going for it and instead it was a carbon copy league duty.

We'll play worse and get a draw.

Good away support from the Jags, well done but disappointing attendance (below 3000) when prices were decent.

Pitch still looks in good shape, this is encouraging after last years problems.

Only the negativity will be posted from a cup defeat... We all like a good moan.  Not many positives can come from this game...  so I'd say this forum sound just like any other team in the UK when dumped out the cup....

Reminds me 12 months ago and getting dumped by Hibs at Tynecastle in the league cup semi final 2-1.. Just so frustrating as we know we can play better... But that's football.. 

theres having a moan an saying your not coming back after 1 bad result

theres having a moan an saying your not coming back after 1 bad result

Aye. True.

Fans do drift from supporting Saints... Maybe it's been the individual's thought for many months / years and it's the final straw that broke the camels back.. There might be other factors involved for not attending in future.  But I've said I'm never drinking beer again after a heavy night out... purely a knee jerk reaction... But Saints fans are slowly drifting away from being regular attendees.. I purely think it's a cost factor and football overkill on TV.   We digress... Don't wanna go down this well trodden path. 

I agree. Not coming back, wtf!  Someone have a word in their ear, we were beaten by a top tier team who have already beaten us this season in the league... it was a shyte draw we got... Would much prefer top tier sides away from home in the cup... In fact I prefer cup away games all the time...