New poll: The Manager

blueheaven

Should Callum Davidson be replaced?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:13 AM, Shibbydoo said:

Last night's team selection is exactly why Callum is still a worry.

I understand he's still learning but we all looked at that midfield 3 and knew it was missing something.

Why can Callum not see that?

That cost us the game, almost immediately.

Absolutely. And if we, the untrained, can see that…. Why take the three softest, weakest midfielders in the league and play them together from the start, hand your opponents the initiative, which they took, and gift the three points during a very poor first half hour. Then say you thought the team didn’t start the game well. It’s baffling.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:13 AM, Shibbydoo said:

Last night's team selection is exactly why Callum is still a worry.

I understand he's still learning but we all looked at that midfield 3 and knew it was missing something.

Why can Callum not see that?

That cost us the game, almost immediately.

This

What I find absolutely infuriating is that, before the World Cup, Davidson had actually managed to get us playing. Whether by luck or design he'd found a system that got the best out of Stevie May, worked with a relatively settled team and used players largely playing in their best positions. It was nothing fancy but it was working, the players seemed to have got a bit of confidence back and we were starting to look a bit more like old Saints again.

He has now completely destroyed that by reverting to a system that he surely must know doesn't work. We're leaving players on the bench who should be playing, picking guys who are off form, playing players out of position and we've gone back to forcing Stevie May to chug hopelessly around on his own up front again. And then there's the baffling stuff like suddenly starting Gallacher after not even picking him on the bench for weeks, and leaving Spoony on the bench despite being comfortably our best creative midfielder. I just find it impossible to see any logic in any of it.

This is exactly why I wasn't buying into any of the "Davidson's turned it around and proven us all wrong" stuff. This was always around the corner and the next thing looming for us is another relegation battle.

He should have gone after the Kelty game. When that didn't happen he should have left after the play-off win. We desperately, desperately needed a change for this season but instead we have an even more bloated, imbalanced squad that's going to be a massive job for someone to fix and he cannot be allowed to make even more mess during the current transfer window. He must go now.

Last three matches:

- First time Hearts have beat us at McDiarmid Park since 2010 (12 f***ing year run of success halted)

- First away win of the entire season for Dundee United, where does it come, against us at McDiarmid

- Aberdeen on a shocking winless run, who obliges and gives them their first win for five matches(haven’t won a football match since 12th November), Callum Davidson and his bonkers team selections and tactics

We have become so easy to play against and so easy to beat. Teams have absolutely no fears about playing us and probably look forward to it.

27 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Last three matches:

- First time Hearts have beat us at McDiarmid Park since 2010 (12 f***ing year run of success halted)

- First away win of the entire season for Dundee United, where does it come, against us at McDiarmid

- Aberdeen on a shocking winless run, who obliges and gives them their first win for five matches(haven’t won a football match since 12th November), Callum Davidson and his bonkers team selections and tactics

We have become so easy to play against and so easy to beat. Teams have absolutely no fears about playing us and probably look forward to it.

This sums it up. 

With another manager that's not a charlatan we probably end up with 6,7 or even 9 points. 

There is 0 chance that he is going to be sacked. If he wasn’t sacked when we were bottom of the table, why now when we’re mid-table, when the owners are only looking towards selling. Who wants to buy a club without a manager?

I agree he’s a nightmare for the club, but there’s no point talking about him leaving, unless it’s that he’s managed by some miracle to get another job down south.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

What I find absolutely infuriating is that, before the World Cup, Davidson had actually managed to get us playing. Whether by luck or design he'd found a system that got the best out of Stevie May, worked with a relatively settled team and used players largely playing in their best positions. It was nothing fancy but it was working, the players seemed to have got a bit of confidence back and we were starting to look a bit more like old Saints again.

He has now completely destroyed that by reverting to a system that he surely must know doesn't work. We're leaving players on the bench who should be playing, picking guys who are off form, playing players out of position and we've gone back to forcing Stevie May to chug hopelessly around on his own up front again. And then there's the baffling stuff like suddenly starting Gallacher after not even picking him on the bench for weeks, and leaving Spoony on the bench despite being comfortably our best creative midfielder. I just find it impossible to see any logic in any of it.

This is exactly why I wasn't buying into any of the "Davidson's turned it around and proven us all wrong" stuff. This was always around the corner and the next thing looming for us is another relegation battle.

He should have gone after the Kelty game. When that didn't happen he should have left after the play-off win. We desperately, desperately needed a change for this season but instead we have an even more bloated, imbalanced squad that's going to be a massive job for someone to fix and he cannot be allowed to make even more mess during the current transfer window. He must go now.

Excellent post.

He was backed heavily again the summer, allowed to try and rectify a mess of his own making. It was therefore imperative that, to continue in his role, he demonstrated that we wouldn't return to the sort of situation we found ourselves in last season.

Yet here we are...

Of the 10 outfield players on the pitch today, how many were being played in a position/role that will bring out the best in them?

Sometimes that has to be the case with teams but Davidson has a squad of over 30 players and he's still fielding a team filled with square pegs.

And it's the speed at which we've regressed from what looked like a fairly stable position 3 weeks ago that is most alarming. He's managed to destroy it all so quickly.

What he's also brought to the table this season though is a new brand of idiot football. We were rubbish last season but just that. This season we are actually playing the most moronic brand of football I can remember and were back at it today...

Short goal kick to Gordon, who is six yards from goal, with Aberdeen pushed right up. Long ball right onto the head of Stewart or Scales. Returned with us camped level with the penalty spot.

You could show that to someone who has never watched a game of football in their life and they'd tell you it was moronic tactics.

Davidson out.

Was willing to give him another chance. 

Looked like he'd turned us around and deserved credit for where we sat going into the break.

Since then its just been a complete regression to last season, despite having a better squad. To me that suggests hes not actually learning anything from his mistakes and we're just going to continously go around in circles with him getting worse and worse.

The club wont sack him though, not a chance, so we need to just hope we can survive in the top flight again. We should have enough points to do that already as we only need 3/4 wins from 17 games.

3 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Last three matches:

100%.

Davidson said after our good spell , we are in a good place. I think he decided if we played it tight and not lose too many games we would be safe. We were playing decent football and scoring goals but now Davidson has sucked the life out of the team.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Was willing to give him another chance. 

Looked like he'd turned us around and deserved credit for where we sat going into the break.

Since then its just been a complete regression to last season, despite having a better squad. To me that suggests hes not actually learning anything from his mistakes and we're just going to continously go around in circles with him getting worse and worse.

The club wont sack him though, not a chance, so we need to just hope we can survive in the top flight again. We should have enough points to do that already as we only need 3/4 wins from 17 games.

We are only 5 points above 10 th and 11th and they have 2 games in hand. I can't see us picking up many points in next few games so I am nervous especially with Davidson in charge.

I have the total fear we are heading to the play off position again the way we are going.

What seems to be the common ground at the minute is an older fan, either on here,Banter page or Pie and Bovril, coming in total support of manager and club in everything they do because they were at the 3-3 Rangers game in the 80s or the Dundee game in 60s which I just don’t get.

I m an older lad myself, started going mid to late 80s, first real success I remember was being on the pitch after beating Arbroath 4-0 and the players in main stand throwing champagne about, singing “ Ayr Ayr **** yer Ayr “ despite the fact we’d finished second to them, it was promotion from Scotlands bottom league at the time.

Right now though is the most unconnected with the club I ve ever felt. I think Callum’s a bit unlucky in that I probably don’t give him enough credit for the cup double, mainly cos I wasn’t there. Over last 30 odd years I ve probably missed less that 10 home games over that time and been at double figures away games every year too. I actually almost resent the double cup win, I ve been to Hampden so many times and still never seen us win there.

I don’t understand how anyone can be happy right now, a clueless manager who should have been gone by the time I got back to Perth after the Kelty game.

Football on the pitch that is eye watering bad, I don’t mind us getting beat but at least have a plan that you look like you have set up to try and win.

Zander must have been so low in confidence having not played in months at the Hearts game yet we gave him nothing to do early on.

A squad that is so big, biggest I can ever remember yet we have no idea our strongest team.

Then add in the Rangers cup game shitfest, even “ off the ball “ on radio where Stuart Cosgrove is normally the boards saviour was so damming of the situation. Some people may have been told the true reasons in a pub, it appears some contact was made with however they communicate with the young lads in FCU, what about just the normal fans though, we get to hear nothing.

I was briefly enjoying this season before the World Cup as we were ok to watch for a while, it’s back to the rubbish tactics of last year though and if we achieve 10th place it will be seen as success.

I hate the fact that, I live 10 mins walk from ground, will be free the night of Rangers game and can afford £30 but right now, won’t be there, will be first time ever I miss a game where I’m in the house and can hear the crowd noise. This obviously happened during Covid but no crowd. How have we managed to get to such a crappy place with how I feel about my club ?

5 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Last three matches:

Add the only away win Aberdeen have had this season was against us.

At least Livi got there first win away from home today so we won't have the embarrassment of them getting their first away win next week.

52 minutes ago, Cagey said:

- Aberdeen on a shocking winless run, who obliges and gives them their first win for five matches(haven’t won a football match since 12th November), Callum Davidson and his bonkers team selections and tactic

Hearts were diddy for a few years and now have money. The 12 year run is impressive. Spurs went a similar run v Chelsea, but the hoodoo goes at somepoint.

Think looking at everything as glass half full is to discount the win v rangers and the great run we had in the autumn, coming off the horror that was last season. If we can finish top 6 that'll be a major achievement. 

We tend to sign towards the end of the window (unless of PCA), so perhaps we'll see the team strengthened. It might also be that players are leaving and it's causing some disharmony in the squad..... we were good in autumn and didn't just become bad.

MON THE SAINTS

8 hours ago, Strawman said:

What seems to be the common ground at the minute is an older fan, either on here,Banter page or Pie and Bovril, coming in total support of manager and club in everything they do because they were at the 3-3 Rangers game in the 80s or the Dundee game in 60s which I just don’t get.

68AA8A00-0C6B-459C-83E2-D68318615A33.thumb.jpeg.5151cc6cbc0863529ef43e54b219f89f.jpeg

On 12/18/2022 at 12:35 AM, belfastsaintee said:

Think some of (myself included) need to consider emailing the club and thanking them for the turn around . I was quick enough to email when I wanted a change . Happy to admit the club did the right thing in backing Callum. Hence why I’m not a manager / chairman !

What in the name of hell was I thinking ….

9 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Hearts were diddy for a few years and now have money. The 12 year run is impressive. Spurs went a similar run v Chelsea, but the hoodoo goes at somepoint.

Think looking at everything as glass half full is to discount the win v rangers and the great run we had in the autumn, coming off the horror that was last season. If we can finish top 6 that'll be a major achievement. 

We tend to sign towards the end of the window (unless of PCA), so perhaps we'll see the team strengthened. It might also be that players are leaving and it's causing some disharmony in the squad..... we were good in autumn and didn't just become bad.

MON THE SAINTS

Top 6 :blink:. Staying in the league will be a major achievement being hamstrung with this management team.

Don't hang your hat on new signings. We have 30 odd players  nearly all signed by this manager in a scattergun approach and we can't put a decent team on the park.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Don't hang your hat on new signings. We have 30 odd players  nearly all signed by this manager in a scattergun approach and we can't put a decent team on the park.

100% agree. Seriously, yet another raft of new signings is the last thing we need. Our squad is huge. I'm already dreading when we lose to Livingston, and then to Rangers, and Davidson reacts by going out and making another 10 panic-signings to close the transfer window. Who's the 2023 equivalent of Ciftci and Hector-Ingram, I wonder?

This complete madness needs to be stopped now.