Give Us a Reason Why Callum Should be St Johnstone Boss

Shibbydoo

Callum should rightly be lauded for being our highest ever sale, a very decent player for us and a capable coach. He then somehow, miraculously pulls off a double, Brilliant. 

What has followed has been a complete shitshow of arrogance, incompetence and downright stupidity. Time to go was 18 months ago.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:56 PM, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Callum should rightly be lauded for being our highest ever sale, a very decent player for us and a capable coach. He then somehow, miraculously pulls off a double, Brilliant. 

What has followed has been a complete shitshow of arrogance, incompetence and downright stupidity. Time to go was 18 months ago.

If and when Callum Davidson does leave the club all the facts you have stated about his management, coaching and playing career with us will always be there. Whilst recent times have been far from brilliant, his place in the history of our club will always be remembered due to his significant involvement in the club winning three major trophies. It seems to me though that a number of our supporters feel that these achievements mean that he can not be criticised on the merits of his current work. Over the weekend I have read a number of our supporters on social media come away with "what do you expect from Callum, he won us the double". He did and that was an amazing time for us all and one that I struggle to see being repeated by a club outside the big two in Glasgow anytime soon, but surely anyone looking rationally at the evidence over the past 18 months cannot make a case to say he is doing a good job.

Last season I was not as critical as some as I still had an element of goodwill towards him after the double season and tried to take into account the impact that losing Kerr and McCann on the last day of the transfer window had on the team as a whole as well as losing key figures such as Wotherspoon and Kane to injury. Despite concerns over his recruitment in the summer, I was willing to give Davidson a fresh start going into this season as I could see not logic in not getting behind and the club going into a new campaign, but as each week has gone by my concerns have grown about the direction that he is taking the club in. Our home form has been atrocious, he is tactically inflexible, his team selections defy logic at times and the general performance levels have been dire. Add into the mix concerns over the way he seems to isolate players for no obvious reason, his often bizarre pre and post match press conference and his unwillingness to give youth players an opportunity are all reasons that have led to me strongly believing that that the longer he is our manager then then more damage he will be doing to the club we all love.

Can anybody offer an defence of Davidson from a footballing perspective? Do anyone enjoy watching us? Can anyone offer a defence of why he seems obsessively stuck to the same rigid formation? I note that most defences of him over the weekend were along the lines of "we should be happy, we have no divine right to be in the Premiership" and "think yourself lucky, it was worse in the 80's". I'm yet to see anyone come up with a logical argument in support of Davidson tactics, team selections or general style of play. 

The only side of the club that seems to have any ambition is the youth teams under Alistair Stevenson. The rest of the club from the Chairman, board, Head of Operations and Head of Football Operations seem to be lacking in any sort of vision or ambition. Its really not an enjoyable time to be a Saints fan at the moment.

28 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

The only side of the club that seems to have any ambition is the youth teams under Alistair Stevenson. 

... and you have to wonder how much longer that side of things can stay ambitious in the context of a set-up where players from the youth set-up are basically never promoted into the first team. Why would any promising young player want to join St Johnstone while that is the case?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Because we were crap in the 80s so it means everything that happens 40 years later can never be questioned? :D

Bollox only partially correct Alex rennies team where Braw and they were 80’s.

if you want crap go back to 70’s from first year of premier league.

2 hours ago, Aitchy said:

If and when Callum Davidson does leave the club all the facts you have stated about his management, coaching and playing career with us will always be there. Whilst recent times have been far from brilliant, his place in the history of our club will always be remembered due to his significant involvement in the club winning three major trophies. It seems to me though that a number of our supporters feel that these achievements mean that he can not be criticised on the merits of his current work. Over the weekend I have read a number of our supporters on social media come away with "what do you expect from Callum, he won us the double". He did and that was an amazing time for us all and one that I struggle to see being repeated by a club outside the big two in Glasgow anytime soon, but surely anyone looking rationally at the evidence over the past 18 months cannot make a case to say he is doing a good job.

Last season I was not as critical as some as I still had an element of goodwill towards him after the double season and tried to take into account the impact that losing Kerr and McCann on the last day of the transfer window had on the team as a whole as well as losing key figures such as Wotherspoon and Kane to injury. Despite concerns over his recruitment in the summer, I was willing to give Davidson a fresh start going into this season as I could see not logic in not getting behind and the club going into a new campaign, but as each week has gone by my concerns have grown about the direction that he is taking the club in. Our home form has been atrocious, he is tactically inflexible, his team selections defy logic at times and the general performance levels have been dire. Add into the mix concerns over the way he seems to isolate players for no obvious reason, his often bizarre pre and post match press conference and his unwillingness to give youth players an opportunity are all reasons that have led to me strongly believing that that the longer he is our manager then then more damage he will be doing to the club we all love.

Can anybody offer an defence of Davidson from a footballing perspective? Do anyone enjoy watching us? Can anyone offer a defence of why he seems obsessively stuck to the same rigid formation? I note that most defences of him over the weekend were along the lines of "we should be happy, we have no divine right to be in the Premiership" and "think yourself lucky, it was worse in the 80's". I'm yet to see anyone come up with a logical argument in support of Davidson tactics, team selections or general style of play. 

The only side of the club that seems to have any ambition is the youth teams under Alistair Stevenson. The rest of the club from the Chairman, board, Head of Operations and Head of Football Operations seem to be lacking in any sort of vision or ambition. Its really not an enjoyable time to be a Saints fan at the moment.

The only bit I disagree with is the bit where you have seen any saints fan NOT criticise us this weekend. 

Under Davidson we're stumbling towards the  kind of seasons that we've been laughing at Dundee/St Mirren/Patrick Thistle for falling into.

Mediocre season after mediocre season with each pre-season giving us a conveyor belt of journeymen. 

Careful what you wish for? Look at the evidence. The standards set by Tommy are long gone.

3 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Under Davidson we're stumbling towards the  kind of seasons that we've been laughing at Dundee/St Mirren/Patrick Thistle for falling into.

Mediocre season after mediocre season with each pre-season giving us a conveyor belt of journeymen. 

Careful what you wish for? Look at the evidence. The standards set by Tommy are long gone.

you are referring to tinker Tommy .

ha ha

5 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

The case for the defence purely seems to be:

• We maybe aren't good but aren't as bad as last season when we were dreadful.
  • He won the the double.
  • We were rubbish 35 years ago.

And I wouldn't even agree necessarily with the first one.

Well based on the arguments and folk who want rid of him, we still are rubbish.

12 hours ago, blueheaven said:

... and you have to wonder how much longer that side of things can stay ambitious in the context of a set-up where players from the youth set-up are basically never promoted into the first team. Why would any promising young player want to join St Johnstone while that is the case?

You may well be right… we have just recently lost a very promising young talent to Spartans’ Youth Academy as we refused to invest in him. 

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz