Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

Yeah, will be relatively straightforward as it is a loan deal.  Problems we have faced with previous signings down to the fact all have been under the age of 24 and moving from one country to another.  Lot more level of complication involved in that, as technically previous clubs they have played for are due a development fee, these need to be waived, then needs clearance from relevant FA's.  

This guy is 29 and only on season long loan so be no issues getting it done quickly and expect him to be on the bench Saturday. 

On 8/6/2023 at 10:13 PM, Saintdunc said:

Louis Moult, 31 year old English journeyman, had the freedom of Gayfield for Dundee United, and was Man of the Match by a country mile. I know it's not the same standard as our Premiership where he played for Well, but there are some players busting a gut in League 2, and the National League, who could waltz it in Scotland, like Paul Mullins at Wrexham who scored for fun at Cambridge and for his present club. I know we could never entice him but there are some decent goalscorers down there and must be worth a punt, surely, especially as none of ours are likely to get double figures unless Jephcott is the icing on the cake!

In Macca we trust to unearth a gem of a big target man.

Totally agree Dunc..My son follows the lower leagues quite closely and he is always saying Saints should sign players from there 

2 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Totally agree Dunc..My son follows the lower leagues quite closely and he is always saying Saints should sign players from there 

We couldnt get close to affording either Moult (before he became a crock) or Mullin, which probably tells you why we arent signing a lower league goal machine.

Ayr seem to have struck gold lately with Adeloye (who apparently had attitide problems) and Akinyemi (who left after a season as he wanted to play in England) but im uncertain theres a swathe of players like that available for a lower end top tier Scottish team. Their preference, rightly or wrongly, will almost always be a move within England due to the money involved.

One of the things that has given me some hope this season is that, in the interviews with new players, they genuinely sound really excited to get started and that they actually care about the club from the start. Especially Mitov. This might be partly just an improvement with comms, but when players like Butterfield were interviewed they just sounded like they couldn't care less.

35 minutes ago, Linky said:

One of the things that has given me some hope this season is that, in the interviews with new players, they genuinely sound really excited to get started and that they actually care about the club from the start. Especially Mitov. This might be partly just an improvement with comms, but when players like Butterfield were interviewed they just sounded like they couldn't care less.

When you've got a droll manager like Davidson giving you pep talks it's no wonder you're bored by the time you get in front of the camera. 

13 hours ago, Linky said:

Think that's the difference between signing guys who are at the right age and actually coming here to try to further their careers and ambitions, and signing guys like Butterfield, Ciftci etc who knew they were at the ends of their careers and were only ever going to be here for the short term and were basically just travelling to wherever they could get their next few months of wages to pay their bills. If you're 24 years old and uprooting your life to come to Scotland on a two-year contract, it's actually a big deal and means something to you.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

All but the goalkeepers should be in training and in the squad for the next game, bar Gallacher who i dont think weve been told about yet.

I wonder how many of the current injured list will pick up  further “niggles” just before the Celtic game?

Edited by glenrothes saintee

11 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

James Brown and Chris Kane were both doing a bit of running last week, imagine they two are the closest to a return 

There was a vid 2 or 3 weeks ago of Brown sprinting so I wouldn't get too excited. I think he has a long term problem from last season.

56 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

The amount o injuries oer the last two years wee have had, there has got tae be a root cause,is it down tae our training methods ?

My suspicion is that there are too many mouse hearted frauds, not willing to drag themselves up out of a malaise, and would rather claim a succession of niggles, than be part of a failing team and try to make a difference.

I may be doing an injustice to some, but there are too many strains, pulls and spasms.

2 hours ago, St. Paddy said:

My suspicion is that there are too many mouse hearted frauds, not willing to drag themselves up out of a malaise, and would rather claim a succession of niggles, than be part of a failing team and try to make a difference.

I may be doing an injustice to some, but there are too many strains, pulls and spasms.

I'd love to see a study on whether struggling teams get more players missing out with injuries than teams that are flying and doing well. I've heard players say in the past that when a team's doing well they're more inclined to play through these minor niggles because they're enjoying it and they want to keep their place in the team. Not saying our injuries aren't genuine but I do wonder if players find it easier to just sit a game out if they get a knock and things aren't going well.

Would also love to know if Saints are actually doing anything to properly investigate why we're having this injury crisis, or is it just all being put down to bad luck? Is it training methods? Is it diet? Is it connected to Macca deciding players don't have to do warm-downs? I've no idea personally, but surely we must be close to the point of looking for outside help and bringing in some sort of consultant or sports scientist who can analyse what's going on and propose some changes?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I'd love to see a study on whether struggling teams get more players missing out with injuries than teams that are flying and doing well. I've heard players say in the past that when a team's doing well they're more inclined to play through these minor niggles because they're enjoying it and they want to keep their place in the team. Not saying our injuries aren't genuine but I do wonder if players find it easier to just sit a game out if they get a knock and things aren't going well.

Would also love to know if Saints are actually doing anything to properly investigate why we're having this injury crisis, or is it just all being put down to bad luck? Is it training methods? Is it diet? Is it connected to Macca deciding players don't have to do warm-downs? I've no idea personally, but surely we must be close to the point of looking for outside help and bringing in some sort of consultant or sports scientist who can analyse what's going on and propose some changes?

Is it not that we just keep on signing injury prone players. Some injury prone because of age.