What now

Broggy Man

• 2 weeks later...

I try to remain optimistic about all things Saints as the alternative is acting like a lot of these moonhowlers on social media who would find fault with the club even if we were playing free flowing attacking football, but after a while realism takes over from optimism and the reality is that we are in big trouble.

Yes, the injury situation is bad, but of this out injured, who is going to come back in and drastically improve us? Drey Wright, Chris Kane and Nicky Clark would give us better options, but none of them are going to come in and improve the team significantly. 

On paper our current squad looks like a mid table championship team. Over the next three weeks we urgently need players who have skill and pace in the final third. Ross County and Hearts defenders have probably never had such an easy 90 minutes. We offer nothing up front. May works all day and as we seen last season still has the ability to get goals, but having him up top on his own is a waste of time. Carey is technically a talented player, but due to having no pace, he offers very little.

It’s going to be a long season and on current evidence, it’s going to take a miracle for us to stay up. We have been lucky the past two seasons in that Dundee and then Dundee United were a shambles. The only team I can see possibly doing similar this season is Livi, so we just have to hope our injured players return and remain fit and we get lucky with some signings over the next few weeks.

38 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

I try to remain optimistic about all things Saints as the alternative is acting like a lot of these moonhowlers on social media who would find fault with the club even if we were playing free flowing attacking football, but after a while realism takes over from optimism and the reality is that we are in big trouble.

Yes, the injury situation is bad, but of this out injured, who is going to come back in and drastically improve us? Drey Wright, Chris Kane and Nicky Clark would give us better options, but none of them are going to come in and improve the team significantly. 

On paper our current squad looks like a mid table championship team. Over the next three weeks we urgently need players who have skill and pace in the final third. Ross County and Hearts defenders have probably never had such an easy 90 minutes. We offer nothing up front. May works all day and as we seen last season still has the ability to get goals, but having him up top on his own is a waste of time. Carey is technically a talented player, but due to having no pace, he offers very little.

It’s going to be a long season and on current evidence, it’s going to take a miracle for us to stay up. We have been lucky the past two seasons in that Dundee and then Dundee United were a shambles. The only team I can see possibly doing similar this season is Livi, so we just have to hope our injured players return and remain fit and we get lucky with some signings over the next few weeks.

It's not mid Championship level we are destined for, it is a lot lower than that lofty level. For 2 years we have seen virtually nothing positive, on the park, or in the corridors of power. 

A certain Mr Brown, assisted by Farmer McDiarmid/ASDA, rescued us from virtual oblivion all those years ago, when deep in the mire way down the pyramid. 

We were not a good team then either. 

That, my friends, is the direction we are headed. We moan constantly about what could and should be done but nothing changes, apart from having a decent keeper. 

A blind man could see what's needed, on and off the park. 

A buyer is required but who would buy us now. A miracle, knight in shining armour, is fantasy. 

Will Jeanfield Swifts be the senior football team in the, not too distant, future. 

I am crying at the thought of losing the team I supported for 60+ years. 

6 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

It's not mid Championship level we are destined for, it is a lot lower than that lofty level. For 2 years we have seen virtually nothing positive, on the park, or in the corridors of power. 

A certain Mr Brown, assisted by Farmer McDiarmid/ASDA, rescued us from virtual oblivion all those years ago, when deep in the mire way down the pyramid. 

That, my friends, is the direction we are headed. We moan constantly about what could and should be done but nothing changes, apart from having a decent keeper. 

A buyer is required but who would buy us now. A miracle, knight in shining armour, is fantasy. 

Will Jeanfield Swifts be the senior football team in the, not too distant, future. 

****ing hell 🤣

Think there's a bit of a danger at the moment of a lot of people starting to panic and that's really not going to help matters. Have already seen a lot of the usual suspects on social media calling for the manager's head and just find it almost laughable that that is some people's solution to absolutely everything (we used to get the same types calling for Tommy Wright's head any time we had a bad run of results, which seems even crazier now than it did then). This is why the idea of fan ownership worries me: we'd be starting from fresh with a new manager every couple of weeks if some of our fans had their way.

I had a lot of reservations about appointing MacLean but he's in the job now and I think the club has a responsibility to stand by him, and the fans should unite as much as possible in getting behind him and not turning on the players during matches. It's just way too early in the season, and in Macca's reign, to do anything else. He clearly knows that what we're seeing right now isn't good enough, he's trying to implement a long term plan, he's trying to bring in the right kind of player and he wants to get us playing in a different way. Clearly at the moment it's not happening but did anyone actually expect an overnight turn-around? This is a huge job and even an experienced manager would have found it a major challenge.

Obviously this can't be allowed to go on for months and months, and if it starts to look like we're being cut adrift at the bottom of the table then there's going to have to be a big change. But for now I just think the best thing anyone can do - players, fans, coaches, everyone on and off the pitch - is pull in the same direction and make sure the team is supported.

Unfortunately when we didn't part services with the management team after the playoff victory we were always going to have a period of struggling at the wrong end.  We then compounded the error by giving the manager an open chequebook to sign aging players on long term contracts.

This season should be focused on doing enough to get 10th.  I had my reservations that Macca was simply a cheap continuity option however his signings look a lot better than previous years given our restricted budget.  I do worry we will start to spiral unless we can pick up a result soon though and I could see the older players downing tools if he keeps openly blaming them in interviews.

Given he has a three year contract I think we have to just give him the season now. I'd take 11th and another playoff final right now.

25 minutes ago, JDee said:

Unfortunately when we didn't part services with the management team after the playoff victory we were always going to have a period of struggling at the wrong end.  We then compounded the error by giving the manager an open chequebook to sign aging players on long term contracts.

This season should be focused on doing enough to get 10th.  I had my reservations that Macca was simply a cheap continuity option however his signings look a lot better than previous years given our restricted budget.  I do worry we will start to spiral unless we can pick up a result soon though and I could see the older players downing tools if he keeps openly blaming them in interviews.

Given he has a three year contract I think we have to just give him the season now. I'd take 11th and another playoff final right now.

Genuinely, I couldn't identify a single senior player I would be sorry to leave. If they are looking at their own performances lately, and thinking "aye, that's good enough" then they are rightly being lambasted.

Considine , a steady 5.5 out of ten every week

Gordon, other than the 1st hour v Hearts has been seriously off the boil. Doesn't deserve the arm band as he doesn't show signs of galvanising those around him, and threw the young lad under a bus a few weeks ago.

McGowan, still has his role and is the only senior squad member I would want to try to retain, but the wrong side of 30, and could be replaced

Carey, has achieved the square root of f all 

May, could be an asset if played in a two, but has been generally anonymous as lone striker (not his fault, it could be argued)

Unfair to level any criticism at Clark, brown, booth, kane as they haven't really featured, but again wouldn't be gutted if they were replaced by a younger player of the standard Macda seems to be targeting. 

I can see the path we are trying to take, but it's a long one, but it potentially should bear long term sustainability.

As we hit the bumps etc, we need the senior lads to take responsibility, if they are incapable of this, or worse, are unwilling to do this, then sorry... get them gone.

Thats fine in 12 months time however I don't think we can replace all of them within 12 months.  As I said it was the previous management team that handed these guys long term contracts.  They won't be going anywhere.

We therefore need to get improved performances from Considine, May, McGowan, Gordon etc. as they will play a lot of games this season.  It's up to our manager to do that and I'm not sure the Terry Butcher approach of openly calling them shite will work.

I’d also take the play off route to stay up right now.

if we do end up with new owners are they going to open the cheque book to try and buy their way and try to entice a few marquee signings for our level or if we don’t get a new owner what happens at the next window regarding signings and pre contracts.

how many loan signings will we bring in, I think we need three or four but is there a limit as too how many we can take?

Right now are we an attractive option to any player who isn’t a journeyman looking for a secure paycheque?

22 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Right now are we an attractive option to any player who isn’t a journeyman looking for a secure paycheque?

I think this could be an issue now, unfortunately. Players coming in over pre-season could conceivably be sold the idea of a brand new project and an exciting fresh start for the club. Fast-forward a few weeks and we're now having to sell them a club that has been dumped out of one cup already and is sitting at the bottom of the league with no points and no goals. Attracting players here was hard enough in the first place but this start to the season can't exactly be making it easier.

51 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

This!

Our current plight is out there for all to see. Players, Agents have only got to check our forums and social media but the MSM will soon be telling it how it is as well. Of course there's also the danger of divided factions springing up in the dressing room, particularly if the manager starts blaming groups. I wonder about the thoughts of the unfortunates who have just signed up for this ****fest.  

Felt a bit sorry for Mitov at first but, then again, didn't he say that playing in Scotland would give him a chance to display his wares on the big stage. He doesn't seem to be a guy that will be fazed by all the negativity. I wonder how/who managed to convince him that this was his best move. Anyway he will soon be on the big stage with the opportunity to show just how good he is (and he'll have to be good) with the forthcoming matches v the two Glasgow clubs.  

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think this could be an issue now, unfortunately. Players coming in over pre-season could conceivably be sold the idea of a brand new project and an exciting fresh start for the club. Fast-forward a few weeks and we're now having to sell them a club that has been dumped out of one cup already and is sitting at the bottom of the league with no points and no goals. Attracting players here was hard enough in the first place but this start to the season can't exactly be making it easier.

And this.

What we need is players who believe they can improve our team. Players who think we're in a relegation battle aren't the type of players we want anyway. Players who are looking at our performances and think they can plug the gaps we need fixing will be happy to come as they won't see us as relegation fodder if they come. 

The unintended benefit of the League Cup campaign is we know have two weeks to focus on training, and three weeks until the next game we're looking to win. (We will play defensive at Celtic). The game in three weeks, at home to Dundee, should be the focus. It's then another three weeks until our next winnable game (Hibs, after an international break and Rangers). That's plenty of time for new players to settle in and make the difference.

It's clear where the gaps are in the team and what qualities we need to bring in. If we fail to make new signings we're in trouble. The players who are right for what we need will know they are guaranteed to start, which will make us more appealing. We've also got time for the new signings we've made to get to know each other.

I think it's far too early to predict how the season will go. We will be in the bottom two after 5 games given the upcoming fixtures, so shouldn't judge our position too early.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, Saintdunc said:

Browns have done phenomenally well with the club but got to give a nod to the Mansfields across the river at Scone. They gifted the Muirton land to the community/club which the Brown's later sold to ASDA enabling the building of McDiarmid Park. Think this is why Geoff says he will pass on proceeds from any sale to the community to honour what the Mansfields began. Read on Twitter once that the Mansfields also did the club a solid during the great depression in 1928 or whatever. Bailed Saints and Jeanfield Swifts out apparently. 

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Think there's a bit of a danger at the moment of a lot of people starting to panic and that's really not going to help matters. Have already seen a lot of the usual suspects on social media calling for the manager's head and just find it almost laughable that that is some people's solution to absolutely everything (we used to get the same types calling for Tommy Wright's head any time we had a bad run of results, which seems even crazier now than it did then). This is why the idea of fan ownership worries me: we'd be starting from fresh with a new manager every couple of weeks if some of our fans had their way.

I had a lot of reservations about appointing MacLean but he's in the job now and I think the club has a responsibility to stand by him, and the fans should unite as much as possible in getting behind him and not turning on the players during matches. It's just way too early in the season, and in Macca's reign, to do anything else. He clearly knows that what we're seeing right now isn't good enough, he's trying to implement a long term plan, he's trying to bring in the right kind of player and he wants to get us playing in a different way. Clearly at the moment it's not happening but did anyone actually expect an overnight turn-around? This is a huge job and even an experienced manager would have found it a major challenge.

Obviously this can't be allowed to go on for months and months, and if it starts to look like we're being cut adrift at the bottom of the table then there's going to have to be a big change. But for now I just think the best thing anyone can do - players, fans, coaches, everyone on and off the pitch - is pull in the same direction and make sure the team is supported.

The club has no responsibility to MacClean other than the contract.

If Davidson should have been sacked after Kelty, then Maclean was gone after Stenny and the worst result in 25 years, a 4-0 drubbing at Home to Stirling Albion. 

Let's not muck about here, if you have followed football long enough you'll know this is not going to improve, and the club are in bother. They must invest in a manager and players. It's not happening, and he is not good enough to do the job without that investment.

4 hours ago, MySpazz said:

The club has no responsibility to MacClean other than the contract.

If Davidson should have been sacked after Kelty, then Maclean was gone after Stenny and the worst result in 25 years, a 4-0 drubbing at Home to Stirling Albion. 

Let's not muck about here, if you have followed football long enough you'll know this is not going to improve, and the club are in bother. They must invest in a manager and players. It's not happening, and he is not good enough to do the job without that investment.

Is he good enough with the investment