Run in for Europe

Havana Saint

I think fourth place is locked in now. Hearts are rotten, and Cathro's useless. I wouldn't bet on them earning even six points out of their last four games.

Conservatively, we only need to beat Hearts in our head-to-head. There's no way in hell that they get 9 points out of their other 3 games.

Most likely, we go into that game needing just a draw to seal it on the day.

Optimistically, we could seal it a week earlier by getting four points more than them over the next two games.

Third place is out of reach barring another post-split streak like we had last year.

I think fourth place is locked in now. Hearts are rotten, and Cathro's useless. I wouldn't bet on them earning even six points out of their last four games.

Conservatively, we only need to beat Hearts in our head-to-head. There's no way in hell that they get 9 points out of their other 3 games.

Most likely, we go into that game needing just a draw to seal it on the day.

Optimistically, we could seal it a week earlier by getting four points more than them over the next two games.

Third place is out of reach barring another post-split streak like we had last year.

I think you may be right.

we could though have a scenario, that if we both loose out next games, us at Celtic and them at home to Aberdeen, then by the time we next play, we'd know exactly what to do. They play Rangers away earlier in the day we play Partick, so if they loose that, we'd know we only need a win or a draw.

On the flip side, if they beat Rangers, that would still give us a fighting chance of 3rd. Possibly with only a 6 point gap and 2 games to go for 3rd and we'd still to play them....

Whatever the final outcome, the very fact we are in these kinds of situations is still amazing.

Yesterday underlines for me that once the pressure to make the top 6 is off, the belief that they can win every game spreads around the squad. Tommy's post-split record is remarkable.

I genuinely think tommy and the players will be looking at Rangers and not at Hearts. 

We've beaten Celtic post split before, despite them being runaway winners. Why not this year? It would be the icing on the cake for another great season. It would pretty much secure 4th and might give us a fighting chance of 3rd.

I just feel we'll be up for this game more than any other this season, with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I can still see a winner takes all showdown with sevco on the last day!

Guest ScottMann

All very exciting, how apt would it be if we  secured Europe at home on the 17th of May when we play Hearts!

Nah. I think May 17 is such a special date for Saints it should be withdrawn from the calendar in it's honour! Nothing we ever do an that date will ever come close to our first ever cup win. :cool:

Europe is secured, its worth discounting both teams games against Celtic, which leaves a six point gap with three games left. They'd have to go unbeaten and we'd have to not win again. I'd argue that even if you include Celtic, we're more likely to pick up points against them anyway. 

Think its too late to catch Rangers aswell, tbh, for much the same reason. I can see them beating Hearts, which then means we're nine points off them, so we'd have to win all our games. A loss to Celtic next week while they a Partick side they beat comfortably a few weeks ago,  makes it nine points with three games, and they still have hearts to play. 

I think third is possible, and there is some incentive. Not a higher entry level in Europe this time, but around £250,000 extra in prize money, a hell of a lot for Saints. Plus the players can only achieve third by gaining tasty win bonuses (plus a league position bonus?) Above all though, a rare chance to finish above Sevco. We would need a streak as good as the last couple of years, and Sevco would need a poor run-in. Bear in mind we're already 20% down that route. 

What's that yer saying? :)

Too many folk getting too far ahead of themselves. This thread should be locked until we win one more game(preferably against Hearts).

In fact, **** it, until we win 3 more games, **** Hearts. 

Edited by andy rhodes fancy watch

I think third is possible, and there is some incentive. Not a higher entry level in Europe this time, but around £250,000 extra in prize money, a hell of a lot for Saints. Plus the players can only achieve third by gaining tasty win bonuses (plus a league position bonus?) Above all though, a rare chance to finish above Sevco. We would need a streak as good as the last couple of years, and Sevco would need a poor run-in. Bear in mind we're already 20% down that route. 

Problem is they're still called Rangers. Partick still play the name judging by their games this season. I'm loathe to suggest it but so do we, every time we play them we sit back and allow them to control proceedings. If it comes down to the final game, I'm terrified we'd just completely sit off them in a similar style to how we play against Celtic. 

Problem is they're still called Rangers. Partick still play the name judging by their games this season. I'm loathe to suggest it but so do we, every time we play them we sit back and allow them to control proceedings. If it comes down to the final game, I'm terrified we'd just completely sit off them in a similar style to how we play against Celtic. 

Most infuriating. Last time at Ibrox we woke up after gifting them a two goal lead having sat off them. We got level then sat back and gifted them a winner.

Give them no respect. That's what they deserve, they haven't earned any.

Here is a table showing pots for all 4 qualyfing rounds according to current situation in european leagues. It is subject to change.

We are certainly seeded in Round 1 and unseeded in possible Rounds 3 and 4. Only uncertainty is about round 2. For now we are seeded team, 5 rows above the line and will need to cheer for teams below us to finish at their respective places in order to stay at favored side of the draw. The draw will take place on June 19.

1nun0RNs2.png

1st round looking good, give me Vasas anytime, a) for the night out in Budapest, and b) cos we humped them the last time so should breeze through for a second round meeting with Ferencvaros cos a) see above, and b ) nice stadium.

Onward to round 3 and it's Sparta for me cos a) see above (Prague this time) and b ) they're hopeless.:mrgreen:

All of the above is of course based on nice cities and cheap beer, please feel free to add your own thoughts