Saints V Motherwell, Sunday 19Th May 12.45 Ko

glenrothes saintee

That was simply amazing I actually have no words to describe how I felt at full time.

What an outstanding performance our lads put in today each and every one of them, Liam Craig is an absolute hero and he and Muzz are a huge loss.

I'd hardly dared to dream that we would do it today, but from the word go we fought and fought and gave Motherwell no chance. We deserved the victory and we've worked bloody hard all season despite being belittled, written off and ignored by fans and media alike. Whatever you think of Steve Lomas as a man, as a manager he has brought huge success and that must be respected. That group of players today were proud to wear the shirt and I'm proud of them.

Just rambling now as emotional to the point of incoherence but suffice to say I have never been prouder to call St Johnstone my team. Well done lads, Mr Lomas and everyone else who has made this possible.

Glorious.

Again, the crowd could have been bigger but it was a solid amount nonetheless and the atmosphere was largely excellent. As mentioned by others, the first 25 minutes or so were pretty tense and the atmosphere reflected this. Some of our play was appalling and Motherwell were passing the ball around more successfully. It has to be said that the pitch looks pretty dire and the ball took some frustrating bounces when passed along the deck. I'm sure the groundsman will be relieved that it's the end of the season.

Our goal came out of the blue, and what a goal it was. A fantastic long-range effort by Liam Craig who cemented his place in history as a Saints legend. A great professional who makes up for his deficiencies (lack of pace in particular) by showing a huge degree of passion for the game. I almost shed a tear when we broke the deadlock, and it seemed like the goal gave us a new lease of life.

We were a totally different animal after the break. Absolutely dominant, pinning Motherwell back in their own half. Nigel deserved a goal after putting in a performance which I have always known he's capable of. I seriously hope he will stay with us. The same can be said for Callum Davidson and Gary Miller who put in fantastic shifts (as well as Mehdi Abeid from the bench). Murray will be greatly missed. Steven MacLean is also a bit of an unsung hero and I'm only really just starting to appreciate what he brings to the team. It seems unfair to single players out. They were all great. Congratulations to Steve Lomas for what he has achieved here. It was always going to take something special for me to change my mind about our gaffer, but he's achieved that and more.

I missed out on the pitch invasion when we were promoted from the 1st Division, so it was a beautiful moment for me to run onto the shite and lumpy pitch to congratulate the players. Made me feel young again (I'm 21 nowadays).

Absolutely buzzing. Fantastic end to an impressive season. Passport oot

===

Don't even know where start pal.......but it rhymes with streeting lunts.

Yikes, haha. Guess the Old Firm teams aren't too popular outside of Glasgow. What about St. Mirren? I'm just curious, as a new fan I'm trying to soak up as much of St. Johnstone's "lore" as I can.

An incredible day.

Stunning performance from all 14 players involved who gave it their absolute all. The work-rate was fantastic, and that had to be the initial objective if we had any hopes to win this game. We had to outwork Motherwell, and they did that. There could have been no more fitting end to Liam Craig's St Johnstone career than that strike in the 36th minute. It looked to be going wide, but it just crept in the corner. An unforgettable moment that saw McDiarmid Park erupt.

It could have very easily turned out different, had Alan Mannus not saved Higdon's header just before halt-time, and that may very well have been the defining moment of the match. With Hasselbaink doubling the lead just after the break, Motherwell didn't threaten as we would have expected, and it became quite a comfortable victory.

Six years ago, Saints lost out to Gretna on the 93rd minute on the First Division title on final day of the season. James Grady's winner in Dingwall sunk the hearts of the fans who witnessed an unbelievably dramatic match against Hamilton. Today, events in Dingwall went our way, and as it became clear that Ross County had won, the scenes at the final whistle were brilliant. (Although I didn't see much of it clearly due to the tears in my eyes).

For St Johnstone to finish 3rd in the SPL is something I didn't think I would ever see again. It's a stunning achievement for all of the players and Steve Lomas, who has proved a lot of people wrong this season, including myself. For Liam and Murray, and possibly Callum, this was the ultimate send-off and they will leave with the best wishes of ever Saints fan who has been privileged to watch them during their time at the club.

Credit also to the Motherwell supporters who came in huge numbers, and contributed to one of the finest atmospheres at McDiarmid for some years. Credit also to the Motherwell players and manager who engaged in a mutual respectful applause with the fans in the east stand. Given their achievements this season, both Motherwell and St Johnstone were winners this today.

I must also compliment the Saints fans today. Far too often the crowd has been obscenely negative towards the team, and individual players. But today, all of the fans supported and encouraged the team throughout, and that added a welcome touch to what became a special day.

Days like this make all of the travel, expense, and disappointment worthwhile. St Johnstone FC is such a massive part of my life, and I wouldn't swap occasions like this afternoon for anything else.

The unmitigated joy from the players, manager and fans alike was something to behold. We'll have more special occaisons to come in July, that is for certain.

But who knows when a day like this will happen again. It may never, you never know. That's what makes the experience of following your team so enjoyable. You can never predict what the future will bring.

But for everyone who attended and savoured the elation of that final whistle, we will never forget it.

An incredible day.

Lomas/Brown would be off their nut not to keep Callum Davidson after today, he was brilliant (as were the whole team) but when Daley came on he defended like Jordi Alba , one of the best left backs in the league on his day

I have to agree with you there....thought he was immense driving Saints on.... Think he would be well worth another contract..ok doubtful if he would manage 3 games in a row, but a coaching role combined with back up for our defence...a real asset to our team...true professional....

Magnificent......simply magnificent. Hunger, drive, passion and determination - what a team. Liam will be a huge loss - what a fantastic attitude and what a goal. No failures today - but for me Mclean was outstanding - he chased and harried

for everything and never gave the Motherwell back four a minutes peace. Well done to everyone at the club.

=============

It's difficult not to make Liam man of the match, but today my vote today also went to Mc Lean.

The running down either wing, the headers he won up the middle when isolated and his control on his lay-offs made him my choice.

He's never gonna be an out and out striker but today his link up play was superb .

Well done Saints all of you and the goals were brilliant .

Happy, happy bunny. Yeeeessss.

What a simply amazing ****ing day. This is why I love fitba and this is why I love my wee team. HEROES, every single one of em. Imagine oor diddy wee team finishing 3rd in the SPL and

qualifying for the Europa League twice on the

bounce. I am so PROUD. PROUD of the players, PROUD of the managment team , PROUD of all

the other club people and PROUD as punch of my fellow fans.. Sadly, it looks like we won't make the Euro ties due to holidays that are already booked but if we get a Norwegian team, I will move

heaven and earth to get off our cruiseship, get to the game and get back on at another port. Where there is a will there is a way...

=====

Hey G. Not like you to get your priorities wrong.

But hey ho we'll give a cheer for you in Europe .

Just home. Still a bit lost for words. I was nervous about going, my lad's 12th birthday, and he was desperate to go, but he's not good with disappointment (he has aspergers). He says that today was the best birthday present that he could ever imagine.

We were magnificent. First 15 minutes were great, then Motherwell took control a bit. We could have lost our way, but from 30 minutes onwards we were outstanding. Gary Miller - what a game he had, as did MacLean and Callum.

Fantastic stuff, thoroughly deserved. A properly memorable day.

Also, we'll done Saints for promoting the match, including Ross Cunningham for his videos and Dawn for doing the fan video. Well done to the c. 1500 people who responded. The difference between 3500 fans and 5000 was amazing. The atmosphere reminded me of the 90s.

Congratulations to all involved in a brilliant day, and sincere thanks for putting a huge grin on the face of a little boy who has had a rough few months.

Proud Saintee

Edited by montrosesaintee

Great day to be a St Johnstone fan, we were superb from 1-11 today and deserved to win and we deserved our break we got in the other game

Third for a team like us on a small budget is an incredible achievement and everyone coin extend with the club deserves huge praise

I hope we get another great few European nights and was great to get it right up the highland love in the media had

What a strike Liam, east end parkesq

Just home. Still a bit lost for words. I was nervous about going, my lad's 12th birthday, and he was desperate to go, but he's not good with disappointment (he has aspergers). He says that today was the best birthday present that he coul

d ever imagine.

We were magnificent. First 15 minutes were great, then Motherwell took control a bit. We could have lost our way, but from 30 minutes onwards we were outstanding. Gary Miller - what a game he had, as did MacLean and Callum.

Fantastic stuff, thoroughly deserved. A properly memorable day.

Also, we'll done Saints for promoting the match, including Ross Cunningham for his videos and Dawn for doing the fan video. Well done to the c. 1500 people who responded. The difference between 3500 fans and 5000 was amazing. The atmosphere reminded me of the 90s.

Congratulations to all involved in a brilliant day, and sincere thanks for putting a huge grin on the face of a little boy who has had a rough few months.

Proud Saintee

==========

Really pleased that Saints made your laddies birthday so special .

Glad he enjoyed a truly tremendous performance .

Happy birthday to him.

Was a bit disappointed today in the performance of.....................................

Steven Mclean .................. no not our player..................

The referee. How did he miss the penalty, when Dave Mackay nearly had his jersey ripped of his body when trying to meet the ball from a corner kick.

Thankfully Nigel scored seconds later.

Bookings- fair enough Liam and Murray got yellow cards but at least 3 Well players got away with identical offences.

Always liked this Ref. but today was not his best performance sad to say.

Just got home, I am still shaking still in shock!

What a day, every single man was outstanding today andthe ttwelfth man was immense!!

To top it off, I'm home and Mrs mongy has started contractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only right if it's a boy you call him Liam or Murray . . . . . Or Nigel or Callum or Chris , feck it just call him St John ( sinjin ) .

What a day ,brilliant team performance , 2 terrific goals , both sets of fans allowed to stand have fun and enjoy themselves . £80 win from Liam's sweet left foot which paid for a Chinese buffet for 4 on the way home . Carlsberg couldny do better COYS

Guest Mongy Max

Only right if it's a boy you call him Liam or Murray . . . . . Or Nigel or Callum or Chris , feck it just call him St John ( sinjin ) .

How bout 16 middle names?????

Just got home, I am still shaking still in shock!

What a day, every single man was outstanding today andthe ttwelfth man was immense!!

To top it off, I'm home and Mrs mongy has started contractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now that will be a Carlsberg Sunday!!Good luck !