Saints V Celtic, Boxing Day, 3Pm Ko

glenrothes saintee

Thought we played quite well, but you can't let Celtic score such a soft goal that early in the match.

The Spoony criticism is fair enough, but Nige was far worse. I would like to see his pass completion stats.

Mackay is starting to get shown up more often at right back, not sure if this is a dip in form or age catching up. If he needs to move to the middle we have a right dilemma as to which centre backs we keep...

Celtic were very professional where there was contact. Feigning injury, killing the game. This annoys me, but not as much as weak refs who seem to buy into Brown and Samaras' hystrionics. It was quite frankly embarassing.

And for the same ref to deem there not enough contact to warrant a penalty beggars belief!

If Thomson and Collum are the best refs Scottish Football has to offer, smoke bombs and flags are the feckin least of our worries!!

However we did pay for a poor start, and could easily have been 2 or 3 down at half time. Second half, much improved but still not hitting the target enough.

Think Wotherspoon needs a rest, or at least someone else on the set pieces, his crossing has been woeful of late.

Surprised to say Edwards impressed me when he came on. Have never rated him, but he caused Celtic problems.

Must say I've always rated Edwards and am glad to see him getting more game time.

Agree re. Wotherspoon's set pieces, maybe that's why I am so frustrated by him. He never hides, and his work rate is excellent, but the end product has been woeful. It's strange to see Liam Craig pinging corners in for Hibs and Spoony inheriting his floaters.

May wins very little in the air - get him on the corners!

There was a gulf between the sides yesterday that is a sad indictment of Scottish football. We have been having a decent season and playing some really good stuff at times but Celtic were streets ahead of us. Someone touched on this earlier but they just seemed much more athletic. Fitter, stronger and faster all over the park. I thought Scott Brown was a stand out for them and we couldn't get near him. I never thought he was that gifted a footballer but he played very well yesterday.

Edwards was our best attacking option. He played well yesterday and against Hibs at the weekend. I think he deserves his place. Also thought Kane did quite well against their huge centre halves when he came on. On the subject of someone taking over set pieces, Brian Easton has a fierce left foot. I think his passing and crossing is very good. Stick him on them!

There was a gulf between the sides yesterday that is a sad indictment of Scottish football. We have been having a decent season and playing some really good stuff at times but Celtic were streets ahead of us. Someone touched on this earlier but they just seemed much more athletic. Fitter, stronger and faster all over the park. I thought Scott Brown was a stand out for them and we couldn't get near him. I never thought he was that gifted a footballer but he played very well yesterday.

Edwards was our best attacking option. He played well yesterday and against Hibs at the weekend. I think he deserves his place. Also thought Kane did quite well against their huge centre halves when he came on. On the subject of someone taking over set pieces, Brian Easton has a fierce left foot. I think his passing and crossing is very good. Stick him on them!

Yes, but we haven't been playing 'really good stuff' the last few games, so the comparison between them and us yesterday isn't that relevant in that regard. There is a gulf though, no doubt.

We are really missing MacLean

Agreed. I presumed that he wasn't fit when he wasn't listed. I would much rather have him in the middle at the back that Wright these days

He was on the bench.  My thoughts before the game was that I'd rather have him than Wright, but Frazer played very well.  Not sure who I'd pick if all defenders were fit, as they all seem pretty much of a muchness!  Nice problem to have though.

Chris Kane came on and the big Celtic players thought they could muscle him off the ball. Delighted to see him fighting for every ball. However, both tackles mentioned above were just what Brown and Van Dijk needed to roll about like they'd been shot.

While Wright defended well yesterday, as the deepest defender when we had possession, time after time it came back to him to lump the long ball. If that is the tactic, I'd rather have Scobbie or Ando, who at least occasionally play a good long ball.

The more I look at that penalty shout the more annoyed I get. Blatant cheating.

Also pleased Chris Kane managed to rake his studs down both Scott Brown and Van Dijk's achilles in a short ten minute period. Could be a star in the making.

Agree it was penalty. Said to someone before the game, can't remember the last time Thomson awarded us a penalty.

He seemed to be well placed,yet failed to give it.

If we had salvaged something from this game and it had been denied at the other end,the Media would have been full of it.

Jahic was excellent yesterday apart from a lacklustre tackle for their goal. That's the first mistake he's made and he's our best centre-half, his quality is clear to see. Then again Scobbie's a WAP favourite on here and that says it all.

Also wonderful to see Spoony taking undue slagging. He's a bit off the boil, much like everyone else, but his effort is faultless and he's not a wide man. A goal and he'll be back to his early season form. People quickly forget how he tore the likes of ICT, County and Motherwell apart. He's our best ball playing midfielder by far and his ability to spot a pass is what sets his apart, he's just not making as many as he can do just now.

Chris Kane came on and the big Celtic players thought they could muscle him off the ball. Delighted to see him fighting for every ball. However, both tackles mentioned above were just what Brown and Van Dijk needed to roll about like they'd been shot.

And managed to annoy englands number 5 keeper to kick the ball into the crematorium.

Then again Scobbie's a WAP favourite on here and that says it all.

Your dislike for Scobbie is well known. I get the feeling you'd prefer him to play badly and you are getting frustrated than he has been playing like Beckenbauer recently. Give it a rest, it's boring.

Jahic was excellent yesterday apart from a lacklustre tackle for their goal. That's the first mistake he's made and he's our best centre-half, his quality is clear to see. Then again Scobbie's a WAP favourite on here and that says it all.

Also wonderful to see Spoony taking undue slagging. He's a bit off the boil, much like everyone else, but his effort is faultless and he's not a wide man. A goal and he'll be back to his early season form. People quickly forget how he tore the likes of ICT, County and Motherwell apart. He's our best ball playing midfielder by far and his ability to spot a pass is what sets his apart, he's just not making as many as he can do just now.

Pretty much everyone has sung the praises of Jahic, so you are fighting with fresh air on that score. Scobbie has been immense at CH, and if you can't see that, you are clearly blind.

Wotherspoon is arguably our best midfielder, but has been honking for the last three games. Doesn't matter how good he 'can' be if he doesn't deliver on the park.