saints v celtic

saint-johns-toun

Paton and Foster?? I'm assuming that's tounge in cheek?

Paton was terrible. Always a yard behind play and did nothing of note. I've yet to see him do anything to impress me in a saints shirt.

Foster for me just isn't good enough. In their first goal, he switched off in the build up, stopped tracking the Celtic player on their left. Never been a fan of his and hope I'm wrong and he has a Swanson like rise from a bad start.

Unfortunately, I think Liam is done at this level too. Really like the guy, but he is struggling this season.

on the upside, Macca put in a shift and Swanson looked decent again. We looked much better when Kane came on a we out two up top.

It is all about opinions,  I thought Paton put in a shift and did the ugly stuff that he was being asked to do. Foster did well and looked like he would settle into that side.

As for Mclean he had a tough shift up on his own but didn't think he did as well as he has done. I don't see how you can say Liam is finished at this level.

If you are looking at blaming players for the goals then Easton and Swanson must be more at fault than Foster.

Cannot understand this criticism of Paul Paton who I felt had a good game and was really unlucky to get booked.

Griffiths should have a second yellow for that trip in the second half in front of the dugout.

Second week running the referee has bottled it as he did that last week at Dundee both in favour of the old firm -  suspicious or what.

With all our injuries I thought we did well and probably lucky at 4-2

Very frustrating first half, especially the first 20 mins. Like other posts, also think Paton had a decent game - fantastic crossfield pass for our second. We battled at the end, but a bit naive at times. If Celtic play like that each week they will beat the likes of ICT 10-0. Foster well off the pace at the moment and his attempted tackle for their first was rather pathetic. Biggest loss today was our "Young team". Missed you lads.

Onwards comrades, all troops up the A9 next week to destroy ICT.

saints missed midge formation was wrong let Celtic attack us saints are stronger 4 4 2 even playing with a number ten should of taken the game to Celtic think we should of bossed game but Celtic will be a hard team to beat rogers has them playing decent football and has sorted the back line bring on next week

Jury still out on Alston,Paton & Foster.

Paton ,not bad in second half but very poor in first half when he was meant to protect defence.Poor in the tackle & slow & once past he never catches his man.

I don't think Alston is getting played in his best position if he has one.

Foster is what I thought he was & as I said previously ,always like to see him in opposition defence.

Anyone notice the scoreboard displaying "today's team"?....it was the team against Hearts!

We had no chance of selling plenty Saints tickets today for two main reasons - price and extremely late ticket info release date. Selling tickets for this game should have commenced weeks ago.

Brendan Rodgers' sides have always been dodgy at the back. This mob are no different and it's more disappointing that we never put them under any pressure at all.

Agree. In first half Saints sat too deep & allowed Celtic to stroke the ball around. Macca was feeding off scraps & chasing the ball is not his strong point.. 3-0 down by half-time the 2nd half felt like a pre-season friendly at times with Celtic simply retaining possession. It was only when Swanson scored the pen that they began to look vulnerable. We should've tried to press further up the pitch from the start. Interestingly TW was interviewed before the match & he said Saints normally budget for finishing 10th but this season we've budgeted for finishing 8th. Said finishing 7th would be an achievement.

Jury still out on Alston,Paton & Foster.

Paton ,not bad in second half but very poor in first half when he was meant to protect defence.Poor in the tackle & slow & once past he never catches his man.

I don't think Alston is getting played in his best position if he has one.

Foster is what I thought he was & as I said previously ,always like to see him in opposition defence.

Does Tommy not have a wee bit of credit in the bank with you?:laugh:

This is about the first time that SB has backed him by allowing him to get in the players that he actually wants rather than scrambling around at the end of the window. Lets give them time to settle in?

There will always be days like these! Sometimes you just know when your team is up for it or not! Today not! Disappointed yes! Surprised no.... Everyone has a different opinion on how individuals played & rightly so (I thought the game improved for us when Liam came on?! TW doesn't often get it wrong injuries didn't help but personally I thought defending as a tactic all wrong.. They looked ropey under attack... Never mind ...they will go away thinking they are great & the media will be happy they have the Sevco back jostling with them at the top?! Blah!?! We will get them the next time ;-)

Maybe but it was still a foul

I didn't think it was close to a foul. McKay should have taken the ball out of the air-either with his head or foot-allowing it to bounce just gave griffiths time to come and ease him off the ball.

Can't find myself getting too upset about yesterday. We were missing key members of our defence as well as Chris Millar. Celtic are a far different proposition to last season and will win the league even more convincingly this year.

Celtic are infinitely better this season and ultimately how our season goes won't be decided by results against them.  Disappointed with the first half showing although we improved after the break.  I'm another who thinks Paton had a decent game.  Unfair to judge Foster on a debut against Celtic - I feel he will be a more than useful addition to the squad.  Onwards and upwards.

Worst I esteem Saints play in years. Celtic were given too much space (in fact they could've driven their team bus through the space they were given). Still onwards and upwards as they say, 3 points next week in Inverness. I won't know until Friday if I'm going (looks unlikely).

can the match threads be left for Ghostie to start? He didn't start this one and look what happened :sad:

Guest ScottMann

I normally get annoyed when we set up like this at home but I don't really blame Tommy this time. I take it he was trying to protect a totally new, pieced together back four particularly as they were up against a fast, inform Celtic attack, which is understandable.

Showing the wrong saints team is inexcusable once but they did it about three times. Did no-one notice or did nobody think to let them know?

Things have gone downhill badly since Kevin. Half-time scores etc just don't happen.

Really poor show in an area that is important.

Get your act together whoever is responsible.