Wright v Brown

rik2304

1. Brad had only been on the pitch for 7 or 8 minutes when Alashkert scored.

2. I thought Joe and Tam were allocated CB duties when big Frazer went off.

3. The Alashkert goal did not come from a set piece but from a speculative long ball when a Saints attack broke down.

4. Joe and Tam were more or less in position but the ball bounced kindly for the Alashkert guy who made the most of the opportunity.

1. Im not sure how that matters? Are we to excuse players simply because they've not been on the pitch long?
  2. Joe was playing right back, McKay and Tam were in the middle.
  3. That makes McKays decision to play on the left wing even worse, does it not?
  4. Joe was in the right back position, Scobbie was in position, and is more to blame for the goal than McKay due to being beaten in the most amateur way. That doesnt excuse McKays position.

It worth noting I don't see much difference between Scobbie and McKay, both technically good but both are prone to utter clangers that cost us goals. Neither of them are good enough to be regulars for us. McKay couldn't accept that, Scobbie does, so thats why ones here and the others not.

1. Im not sure how that matters? Are we to excuse players simply because they've not been on the pitch long?
  4. Joe was in the right back position, Scobbie was in position, and is more to blame for the goal than McKay due to being beaten in the most amateur way. That doesnt excuse McKays position.

It worth noting I don't see much difference between Scobbie and McKay, both technically good but both are prone to utter clangers that cost us goals. Neither of them are good enough to be regulars for us. McKay couldn't accept that, Scobbie does, so thats why ones here and the others not.

Shaughnessy makes poor decisions that cost us goals, Anderson still makes horrendous cock ups that cost us goals, MacKay when he last played was constantly found wandering up the pitch and very slow to get back costing us goals, Mannus very indecisive causes problems with the defenders and costs us goals etc, etc, so lets just get rid of them all. 

Mackay  Out, no  clear idea when  he will return

Easton.  Fit ( but playing  poorly)

Anderson. Fit 

Scobbie.  Out for at least another 4 weeks best case

Foster. Fit

Watson.  Out ( not sure if this lad even exists as I have yet to see him)

Shaughnessy. Fit

Liam Gordon. Fit

Ally Gilchrist. Out I think ( certainly has not played  any part in either 1st team or U20's game this season)

No sure I see much flexibility in there for at least a month and that's if none of the others  pick up a knock.

As for suspensions, even you  are not going to argue there is far more chance of a defender getting a red card or picking up bookings due  to what they do ( or in some cases, what they are meant to do)

I wouldnae have signed Paton . he's played about as many games as Brad. I'd have had hjm away.

So we should sign another defender simple because three happen to be injured at the moment? 7 senior defenders, several of whom can play in more than one position is more than enough. 

I bemused as to what McKay has shown to be suddenly be heralded as a potential great. Seems to be a yet another case where a player is feted by some fans simply because he's not picked. (See Craig Beattie from couple of seasons ago and to an extent Craig Thomson last season)

Last sentence is something we can at last agree on except one is at the end of his career & just happy to be able to feed his family .The other quite understandably is not happy to sit in stand. Good luck to him at Cally.

Last sentence is something we can at last agree on except one is at the end of his career & just happy to be able to feed his family .The other quite understandably is not happy to sit in stand. Good luck to him at Cally.

Scobbie is 28.

In the prime of his life.

I do feel some sympathy for Brad given that it is little more than a year since he came to us on a PCA.  However, last time I checked nobody has ever asked me to manage a senior football club so I am more than happy to trust the judgement of someone who has proved himself highly skilled in that area, namely our Tommy.

That does not mean we have to demonise the laddie by accusing him of horrendous mistakes in European games.  So far the only example you have come up with of these failings is that he was on the left wing when he should have been getting back into position after a set piece at the time of Alashkert's goal.  Well the only fact that we have is that there was no set piece.  If he was on the left wing at the time whether that was an error or not depends on what his instructions were when he was sent on as a sub.  I do't know what those instructions were and at a bit of a guess I doubt if you do either.

What a terrible mistake real easing Brad ...

thought he did more than enough to merit some respect from Tommy really think there's more to it 

It's a terrible mistake to release a player who never gets a game?? Seriously? Not sure where Tommy's been disrespectful either - I can't find anything to suggest that the player hasn't been treated respectfully in all of this. Pretty much every time we release a player, someone claims it's a huge mistake - but how often do these players really go on to prove us wrong? Not very often, from memory. I still remember the ridiculousness of how angry some people were on here when we got rid of Davie Weatherston.

Personally I feel that if there's "more to it" in any way, it's simply that the manager didn't think he fitted in. I think Tommy Wright is very careful about having the right kind of personality in his squad, and if he feels someone doesn't fit that profile then he doesn't want them hanging around. McKay didn't exactly cover himself in glory with some of his comments upon joining us, and that, combined with his early performances, definitely set a few alarm bells ringing. He's done well to fight his way back into the squad but I'd imagine Tommy had already made his mind up by then.

This battle for budget between the manager and the chairman is the same thing that we get every year so is nothing new. At pretty much every transfer window, the manager tells us he can't sign anyone without getting rid of someone else. So if getting rid of Brad means we can bring in a striker, then for me that's a very good decision.

Think it's a case Broons said to Tommy that's yer lot ,and as Broon has surrounded himself with YES men Rod Grant,etc

and Tommys the same,we have been lucky with signings and punching above our weight but not got a good feeling about these signings 

apart from Hearts game the rest gave been average at best

Brad McKay wasn't good enough to start for Hearts, was by most accounts a bombscare defensively in League 1 (League 1 ffs,) and has consistently been a bombscare when he has played for us and comes across as an absolute moron to boot, albeit an ambitious one. The reaction to his departure has been absolutely baffling, both here and on Facebook. 

So we should sign another defender simple because three happen to be injured at the moment? 7 senior defenders, several of whom can play in more than one position is more than enough. 

I bemused as to what McKay has shown to be suddenly be heralded as a potential great. Seems to be a yet another case where a player is feted by some fans simply because he's not picked. (See Craig Beattie from couple of seasons ago and to an extent Craig Thomson last season)

I am not saying he is a potential great, I am saying we don't have enough fit defenders to be releasing one. Of the 3 injured, one may or may not play again, one is out for at least 4 weeks  and as for Watson.. Who knows what his story is??   We have 10 midfielders. I am only suggesting it  would be less of a risky strategy to lose one of them...

Guest ScottMann

Of the midfielders, don't forget Spoony can play right back and Craig left back in a push should we run out of actual defenders. We've effectively swapped Mckay for Foster which I think is decent enough.

I am not saying he is a potential great, I am saying we don't have enough fit defenders to be releasing one. Of the 3 injured, one may or may not play again, one is out for at least 4 weeks  and as for Watson.. Who knows what his story is??   We have 10 midfielders. I am only suggesting it  would be less of a risky strategy to lose one of them...

I wouldn't expect McCawl and Thomson to be too involved this season tbh so it's 8 senior midfielders and 7 senior defenders. Obviously TW is confident about who is coming back from injury and when.

It's a terrible mistake to release a player who never gets a game?? Seriously? Not sure where Tommy's been disrespectful either - I can't find anything to suggest that the player hasn't been treated respectfully in all of this. Pretty much every time we release a player, someone claims it's a huge mistake - but how often do these players really go on to prove us wrong? Not very often, from memory. I still remember the ridiculousness of how angry some people were on here when we got rid of Davie Weatherston.

Personally I feel that if there's "more to it" in any way, it's simply that the manager didn't think he fitted in. I think Tommy Wright is very careful about having the right kind of personality in his squad, and if he feels someone doesn't fit that profile then he doesn't want them hanging around. McKay didn't exactly cover himself in glory with some of his comments upon joining us, and that, combined with his early performances, definitely set a few alarm bells ringing. He's done well to fight his way back into the squad but I'd imagine Tommy had already made his mind up by then.

This battle for budget between the manager and the chairman is the same thing that we get every year so is nothing new. At pretty much every transfer window, the manager tells us he can't sign anyone without getting rid of someone else. So if getting rid of Brad means we can bring in a striker, then for me that's a very good decision.

Indeed, releasing him from his contract (presumably with some kind of pay off, even if minimal) so that he can sign for one of our rivals is actually very respectful!  It would surely be more disrespectful to hold him to it and let him fade away in the reserves/stand?   

Davie Weatherston will be a player one day though.  Mark my words.  Him and Stephen Reynolds.   

Brown sets the player budget.

Tommy spends that budget and a bit more if he can get away with it.

Tommy picks the players to sign, so if we are short in any department it is down to him.

Brown pulls the reigns in and tells Tommy to get back in budget so Tommy has to pick a player or players to unload.

Loaning out the young lads would not have a big effect on the budget as teams like East fife aren ot going to pay a fortune for loan players.

Case closed

I'd still love to know how we've managed to use up all the increased budget. It just doesn't make sense, from the unknowledgeable outside looking in.

I'd imagine part of the budget might be swallowed up by some of the youths stepping up and some improved contract terms and bonuses. I'd imagine Paton and Foster will be on decent money too. Lappin aside, I'd imagine all those that have come in will be in more than those who left.

To be fair to Steve Brown, he sets a budget and it is up to the manager how best to use it.

For Wright, as a manager he'll always want a bit more. He may be saying he won't sign another player, but he did say he needed another striker to complete the squad. 

Guest ScottMann

I'd imagine part of the budget might be swallowed up by some of the youths stepping up and some improved contract terms and bonuses. I'd imagine Paton and Foster will be on decent money too. Lappin aside, I'd imagine all those that have come in will be in more than those who left.

To be fair to Steve Brown, he sets a budget and it is up to the manager how best to use it.

For Wright, as a manager he'll always want a bit more. He may be saying he won't sign another player, but he did say he needed another striker to complete the squad. 

I'd see Paton and Foster as no more than normal Prem players and probably on less than Lappin and Sutton. Of course I don't know any figures but would imagine Saints players all more or less earn the same with some adjustment for circumstances but nothing major. I could see the events of this transfer window accounting for our budget during a normal season but not with what appears to be a decently increased one.