Saints v Ross County 19/11/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

I thought Craig was lucky to get a new contract. He was ordinary for much of last season, only really coming onto a game around the split. When you see Simon Lappin taking until November to get fixed up with York City, Craig should consider himself fortunate.

My concern would be that for as much as he was a good player in his first spell at Saints, he was never really considered good enough to be a first pick in central midfield, yet we seem to be relying on him a bit in there at the moment. He initiates the calamity that is the second goal by forcing a poor pass off his wrong foot but others fail to cover themselves in glory either, it's painful viewing.

What is a shame is that Wright had tried to change the system after the Thistle game by going with Swanson in the role he operated in at Ibrox and Tynecastle and we had started pretty brightly. All undone by the proverbial schoolboy defending though.

Agree with this. We didn't actually play bad until we conceded the first and I commented at the time between Swanson, Spoony, MacLean and Macca we were playing some good stuff. Unfortunately we ended up putting high balls in at the end of good moves and that highlighted our biggest problem. With no muzz we have no height in our team at all. We must be the smallest team in the league. It was brutally exposed by some good crossing by Burke and some poor crossing by us but Ando aside we don't have a dominant player in that team and Ando is off the boil.

Coincides with being given the capthe ns armband.  He's got too much on.  Let him just defend. He was good at that without the extra official duties.  Give Macca the captaincy till the end of the season is my shout. (Or rotate it)

Was thinking the captaincy may be yhe problem.

And that will be macca suspended thanks to trial by ****ing Sportscene. Day just gets worse.

Macca giving it to his auld man.. Who's his biggest critic.  It wasn't to the away fans or home fans.  Like Macca says he's celebrated like this before.  Sportscene just showing what they are all about.... wanting to be smart.  I'd rather see more highlights than listen to Sportscene pundits..... 

Watching the highlights just re-inforced how poor the goals were.

1. Zander flapped at corner for first goal, if he's on his line he saves it. All for trying to come for crosses when it's sensible to do so but he was never gonna get there, one to learn from. Think that may have unsettled him in part leading to incident with Joe.

2. Very little challenge on second header, think it was Foster who was on the County guy and he ain't no Daventry Mackay in the air.

3  Spoony what we're you doing? Mind you nobody picked up Curran either 

4. No closing down to stop cross coming in and Boyce had nobody within yards of home

Side looks very one paced and lacking physical presence. Craig's corners first half were abysmal gone back to floaty numbers too deep beyond back post, Spoony seems a lot less fit and missing at least a yard of pace compared to 3 years ago, Paton also looks like he's running through treacle just knew he was going to get booked near the end as could not catch the County player. Only player with pass marks on Saturday was Swanson, possibly the worst performance I've seen in 5 years.

Thought we actually started quite brightly but worrying how many easy goals we're shipping. 

When I was young and Saints were putting in a terrible shift and losing 3 - 0 to a team we should have had no problem against some higher authority would send a blizzard and the game would be abandoned thus allowing us to win the replay 1 - 0.  (Forfar v Saints circa 1959/ 1960)  Nowadays we struggle back to 3 - 2 only to lose a fourth goal in virtually identical circumstances to the first 3.  What is the world coming to?

i have been reading this bulletin board for a couple of years now but never felt the need to comment, until now. Unfortunately i have a season ticket and it is the only reason i still turn up to watch. Personally i see a talented group of players who under the leadership of a decent manager could easily push for third, possibly even second. However under Tommy Wright management we will continue to be served up these appalling excuses for football matches. I fully appreciate what we have achieved over the last few years but the cup win and european qualifications cannot be fully attributed to our manager. No matter what anyone says without Stevie May there would very likely have been no cup win and without the Orcs from Govan and Hearts being in the league the european qualifications would have been highly unlikely. Who wouldn't love to see a return to the attacking, entertaining games of the late 1990,s rather than watch this drivel. If this sort of football carries on it is inevitable that our crowd numbers will reduce and this is something we can ill afford.

i have been reading this bulletin board for a couple of years now but never felt the need to comment, until now. Unfortunately i have a season ticket and it is the only reason i still turn up to watch. Personally i see a talented group of players who under the leadership of a decent manager could easily push for third, possibly even second. However under Tommy Wright management we will continue to be served up these appalling excuses for football matches. I fully appreciate what we have achieved over the last few years but the cup win and european qualifications cannot be fully attributed to our manager. No matter what anyone says without Stevie May there would very likely have been no cup win and without the Orcs from Govan and Hearts being in the league the european qualifications would have been highly unlikely. Who wouldn't love to see a return to the attacking, entertaining games of the late 1990,s rather than watch this drivel. If this sort of football carries on it is inevitable that our crowd numbers will reduce and this is something we can ill afford.

I suggest you make that your first and last post to be perfectly honest. 

Thanks Fazman.

I am purely a concerned fan who not only has been a season ticket holder for more years than i care to remember but i also put a fair bit of sponsorship money into the club. I think that anyone who was there on saturday, and for the last few home games especially, should be concerned with what is happening on the pitch. We have an excellent squad albeit one which is seriously struggling up front. A fact that everyone in the stands can see but apparently our manager can't. Our current forward line is ageing (Mclean), struggling to make the grade (kane) and downright woeful (cummings). This is something the manager has proven completely unable to address. Take Danny Swanson out of our team and we would be in a right mess at the bottom of the league. We have to get someone signed in January but i really don't think we have the manager in place to do this. I hope I'm wrong...  

. Who wouldn't love to see a return to the attacking, entertaining games of the late 1990,s rather than watch this drivel.

i seem to remember going to ibrox  an parkhead as we sat back an played 451 barely crossing the halfway line hardly attacking.

imagine what barca woulkd have achieved without messi? who cares they have him.

I suggest you make that your first and last post to be perfectly honest. 

Typical, a new poster decides to convey his thoughts in a measured and well constructed post but because it doesn't toe the longtime clique's party line he is immediately informed not to bother posting again.

How about debating the issues you disagree with, instead of telling him to disappear. 

How about debating the issues you disagree with, instead of telling him to disappear. 

Probably because his "points", are ill thought out and entirely inflammatory. Its identical to what Dundee fans mewl about on P&B when we talk about how well we've done in the past few years, and to see a Saints fan completely talking down everything we've achieved is bizarre.

No matter what anyone says without Stevie May there would very likely have been no cup win 

Scottish Cup Run...

2-0 v Livingston - May scored one, would've still won

4-0 v Forfar - May scored one, would've still won

3-1 v Raith - May didn't score, would've still won

2-1 v Aberdeen - May scored two, wouldn't have won

2-0 v United, May didn't score, would've still won

Its a basic way of looking at it, but the only game you could say May "won" for us in that run was the Semi, a Semi we only reached thats to a wondergoal from Nigel Hasselbaink which completely swung the Raith game. You'd also be utterly ignoring the fact he was nearly invisible in the Final, and like much of the season, the midfield dominance won us matches. I simlpy cant see how a regular fan can actually believe the Cup win was solely down to May.

without the Orcs from Govan and Hearts being in the league the european qualifications would have been highly unlikely. 

Rangers died, I've no idea why you want to hold that against us. Hearts were in financial trouble from 2012 onwards, so I'll use 2011/12 as a "benchmark" for them.

2011/12 - Finished 6th, qualified due to Rangers dying, only finished 2pts behind Hearts.

2012/13 - Finished 3rd with 56pts, more than Hearts got in 2011/12. Hearts in same league. Rangers dead.

2013/14 - Qualified due to cup win, wouldn't matter what league Rangers and Hearts were in.

2014/15 - Qualified in 4th with 57pts, more than Hearts got in 2011/12.

Again, I've no idea why you hold that against the club. Rangers and Hearts being out the league hardly made a certainty that we'd finish above five clubs with bigger budgets that us. 

Edited by RandomGuy

Sats result was bad and as bad as I have seen in a while but there has been some great results this season two we are sitting 5th based on these performances, we had a similar patch last season and we came good, Dundee and killie away stick out, there is no question that if we played at the top of our ability consistently then we would be pushing 2nd and third but if our players were that constant they wouldn't be at saints, some see that as lack of ambition but I think it's reality, someone has said it before we are in a traditional period trying to replace good players at this level and they are not easy to find but we will be ok in the end, I do think that was a short sighted overly glum outlook on our current squad and position 

Thanks Fazman.

I am purely a concerned fan who not only has been a season ticket holder for more years than i care to remember but i also put a fair bit of sponsorship money into the club. I think that anyone who was there on saturday, and for the last few home games especially, should be concerned with what is happening on the pitch. We have an excellent squad albeit one which is seriously struggling up front. A fact that everyone in the stands can see but apparently our manager can't. Our current forward line is ageing (Mclean), struggling to make the grade (kane) and downright woeful (cummings). This is something the manager has proven completely unable to address. Take Danny Swanson out of our team and we would be in a right mess at the bottom of the league. We have to get someone signed in January but i really don't think we have the manager in place to do this. I hope I'm wrong...  

Who signed Swanson? He certainly seems to be the answer to our creative, goal scoring midfield player problem that we had for a while.

Cummins is playing poorly just now but prior to his injury last season he was playing extremely well imo. If he can't rediscover his form then he'll move on and someone else will get an opportunity. 

Getting a 20 goal striker on our budget is an impossible task.

It's a Frazer Wright type that we are really missing.

Probably because his "points", are ill thought out and entirely inflammatory. Its identical to what Dundee fans mewl about on P&B when we talk about how well we've done in the past few years, and to see a Saints fan completely talking down everything we've achieved is bizarre.

Thank you for your response, second guessing, on behalf of a third party (Widge).

The Dundee fans attitude towards their club doesn't interest me, the original poster clearly feels upset about the way things are going.

We've all come on here at times and let our frustrations get the better of us, me as much as anybody.

I get his comments, although a couple are perhaps a touch overly negative.

however, for example, I can't make a lot of games, but can make the upcoming home game against Caley. Thing is, I'm really not that looking forward to it. Was at Killie game and Thistle game, and both experiences were turgid. Edinburgh isn't miles away, but it's still most of the day committed and a 100 mile round trip. You do find yourself reflecting on whether it was worth it - to sit there mostly bored, or frustrated, or depressed.  Then again, Tynecastle was pretty good (minus losing a late equaliser)

We are a fickle bunch, but that's football supporters the world over

Of course, I will always go, not every week, but I will go. Unfortunately, we won't attract new, regular supporters based on our home performances