Player contracts and transfers

David123

Some moaned about Steven Maclean when he signed, now we can't do without him.

Personally I think given a chance, Iwelumo could be a good signing, and a big help to May. He's big, physical, played AND SCORED at a high level. From 2005 to 2011 (roughly) for 4 clubs in the Championship he averaged a goal every 4 games. Not a bad record IMO.

What does worry me is the pressure and stick he will still get up here because of THAT miss.

Welcome to Perth big man, good luck turning this lot around!!

A couple of fans on Pie & Bovril seem disappointed they weren't looking at him.

He's 35, but didn't rely on pace anyway. He's played for Scotland not that long ago and has played in the Championship the vast majority of his career. If it doesn't work out, it's just a deal until the end of the season and we've got May and Maclean to return soon too anyway.

I know it's a bit underwhelming when you consider the link with Goodwillie, Scotland etc, but I think this can be a good signing for us.

Really hope this works out, but have to admit I'm slightly concerned by it. Not too bothered by his age as older players can often come in and really add something to a team, but it seems to be quite some time since this guy really did well for anyone. From what I've seen there's a bit of a gulf between him and Jason Scotland, who is younger, more prolific and has been playing at a higher level recently. Also think Scotland's return, as an ex fans favourite here, would have given the whole club a bit of a boost ahead of the semi-final. Bit baffled by him going to a lower league club like Hamilton, while we take Iwelumo. To be honest, I'm a bit baffled by Dubya's transfer market activity in general. Still, keep the faith etc.

Let's give the guy a chance.  The deal is only til the end of the season and is a far better option than Rory Fallon!

Exactly, and more the type of striker we need in our squad.

Scotland signing would've provided a bit of excitement for the fans, but he's more similar to May and Maclean and wouldn't give us the target man option that we're looking for.

As nice as it would've been to see Scotland play for us again, it's gone now.

At the end of the day we play with one up front. If we go two up front then Iwelumo is there to head the ball. You don't need to be 20 years old to do that. He may be coming in to help develop May. MacLean will also be back soon too. We also had two wingers putting crosses in to the box on Tuesday (and Croft was looking great) and nobody to get on the end of it.

I reckon Scotland is too similar to May. If Saints had any intention of letting May go I don't think we would sign Iwelumo.

At the end of the day we play with one up front. If we go two up front then Iwelumo is there to head the ball. You don't need to be 20 years old to do that. He may be coming in to help develop May. MacLean will also be back soon too. We also had two wingers putting crosses in to the box on Tuesday (and Croft was looking great) and nobody to get on the end of it.

I reckon Scotland is too similar to May. If Saints had any intention of letting May go I don't think we would sign Iwelumo.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Excellent post.