Player contracts and transfers

David123

Brian Easton resigning is a fantastic piece of business - could easily play Championship level. 

I don't think the bit about his time at Burnley was written by a Lancastrian or even someone with a command of the English language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Easton_(footballer)

Good bit of business imo.

From the Scotsman

ST Johnstone last night joined the race for Blackburn Rovers striker David Goodwillie.

Former Perth manager Derek McInnes is also hoping to tie up a loan deal for the Scotland international at Aberdeen through to the end of the season.

Goodwillie still has 18 months left on his Rovers contract, and the 24-year-old has been warned by Ewood Park manager Gary Bowyer that he must get more game time during his next loan, after restricted time on the pitch during his spell at former club Dundee United.

Saints manager Tommy Wright, who yesterday secured defensive duo Brian Easton and Tam Scobbie on new deals until the summer of 2015, admits the Perth club can’t compete with the financial might of Aberdeen. But he has put together a package designed to lure Goodwillie to McDiarmid and team him up with 16-goal Stevie May.

Wright said: “David is one we’ve enquired about so it will come down to whether we can get a deal that suits us, suits David and also suits Blackburn Rovers. There are other clubs in for him – ones that have more financial clout than us – but, in football terms, there isn’t a better place to come than here.

“We’re doing okay in the league, pushing again for the top six, we’re still in two cups – although David’s cup-tied – and it’s a good place to come in and work. Coming to us is a good opportunity to help anyone’s

career. But everyone is looking for strikers so we’ll just have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.”

Goodwillie has not given up hope of forcing himself back into the Blackburn squad, despite his move to Dundee United not working out. Ricky Gillies of the Pro-

Legal Group, who represent the player, claims Goodwillie believes he can make an impact for Blackburn now. He said: “David is heading back to Blackburn today and his main aim is to push himself back into the first team there.

“He is keen to get his career kickstarted and the only place he is looking to play is Blackburn. He gets on well the manager, who rates him.

“He is competing with Jordan Rhodes, an £8 million striker, for a place in the team, but he believes he can go there and score goals. People say his loan spell at Dundee United didn’t work out but United have been flying and it was hard for him to get a run of games.

“But, over his career, his scoring ratio has been spectacular and he just needs time on the park if he is to get back to that kind of form.”

Goodwillie helped United win the Scottish Cup in 2010 and notched up 40 goals in 136 games before sealing a £2m switch to Rovers a year later. But he failed to settle in Lancashire and returned to Tayside in Aug-ust. United chairman Stephen Thompson, however, described Goodwillie’s return to Tayside as a “disappointment”.

Gillies has not ruled out another loan move but insisted Rovers’ financial demands may make it difficult for Scottish sides to make an offer. “If he does go out on loan, it’s important he goes to the right club,” he said. “We have heard from Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Oldham and they are the clubs showing a keenness. But it is difficult for Scottish clubs because of David’s contract situation.

“Blackburn will want to get him playing one way or the other, though, because he’s not an asset to them if he’s sitting on the bench. He has 18 months on his Rovers deal left but for him it’s not about money. He just wants to prove himself. He’s not in a rush to leave.”

I think he's been great for Saints but I don't understand how you can tell he is better than last season??

He didn't play for us & you never saw him play??

Do you mean he is our most improved player this season??

YES - that's what I said in my second response - brain spasm, meant to say since the beginning of the season, not since last season.  Jeez, give me a break!!!

Would you like me to go to my local police station and change my statement?

montrosesaintee, on 13 Jan 2014 - 18:09, said:

since the beginning if this season. Absolute brain spasm.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Bad enough seeing Liam doing well there but seeing Scotland banging them in would be hard. I'd be delighted if we went for him.

I hope we do too. Wouldn't be the first time we've made this kind of signing either - I'd imagine it would spike the interest of a few Saints fans who maybe don't normally attend matches.

Really Chuffed about Scobbie and Easton signing on for next year too. A touch disappointed that both weren't given (or didn't accept?) 2 year extensions as they're both fairly young and more than good enough for this level. Squad is shaping up quite well for next year already. We're certainly in a much stronger position for next year than we were even at the end of last season for this!

No goalies

Defenders

Dave Mackay (2015)

Alex Kitchen (2015)

Tam Scobbie (2015)

Brian Easton (2015)

Midfielders

David Wotherspoon (2015)

Chris Millar (2015)

Gary McDonald (2015)

Scott Brown (2015)

Dylan Easton (2016)

Forwards

Stevie May (2015)

Michael O'Halloran (2015)

Chris Kane (2016)

I think there might be a few more kids contracted beyond this season too, but I can't find their contract lengths anywhere.

I'd like to see Anderson, Davidson, Hasselbaink, Maclean and Mannus definitely signed up from the rest. We know Davidson has been offered something as he's said he'll discuss his options with his agent over the next few weeks. No word on the others yet, but you have to imagine they'll all be in the manager's thoughts beyond this season. I think we'll be unbelievably lucky to get all of those guys tied up however. Mannus, Hasselbaink and Davidson are probably the ones to really worry about.

That leaves Wright, Miller, Croft, Banks, Cregg, Caddis, Clark and Fallon from the first team (I think?). I think all of these guys are replaceable at the moment.

Wright is starting to show signs of age, but I wouldn't be against him staying on. We'd probably need another option there too though.

Miller has been an excellent utility, back up player for us, but he might want to go somewhere that'll allow him more first team chances. I can see us offering him an extension, but I'm not sure he'll accept it. He didn't seem happy on Saturday about not starting. I wouldn't be too surprised if the management released him and looked elsewhere, as harsh as that would be.

Croft could easily move into the above paragraph, he just needs time to get match fit. He's already spoken about how he'd consider staying longer with us, so fingers crossed he can hit the levels he did the last time he was at Saints and stays for next year.

There's a few rumours that Paddy wants to go back to Ireland. He's been excellent for Saints, particularly in our European run this season. He has found himself increasingly used as back up in recent months though and we do have the likes of Caddis and Brown who can play his role. Maybe one we can bare to lose?

Banks is probably more use to us as a coach than he is a goalie now. He came into the team and did well enough in Mannus' absence, but it might be an idea to keep him on as a coach and sign up Clark to be back up goalie next year? He's apparently doing well at Queen of the South. I'd certainly like us to keep Clark on.

Caddis... I'm not sure about Caddis. He's obviously one the management team have had high hopes for, but has he progressed enough? He's not done particularly well out on loan at Alloa and I'm not sure he's kicked on that much from the green 16 year old we saw under McInnes. Taking all that into account - would he even sign a new contract? He was reluctant to stay more than a year as he wanted first team opportunities last summer and he's not really got them so far this season.

Fallon - no brainer - release.

Could Goodwillie be seen as a possible replacement for May until summer?

Obviously Fallon will be let go in the summer if not before,(hopefully). I feel that Gary Miller will be wanting to leave,unless of course Wright is freed and SuperDave moves to CH permanently which leaves RB open for him.

Out of Muzz,Nige and Mannus expect Mannus to go for certain. It probably depends on Nigel's form if he can get his dream move to the Championship. Muzz is a Saintie for life!

Edited by rik2304

No goalies

Defenders

Dave Mackay (2015)

Alex Kitchen (2015)

Tam Scobbie (2015)

Brian Easton (2015)

Midfielders

David Wotherspoon (2015)

Chris Millar (2015)

Gary McDonald (2015)

Scott Brown (2015)

Dylan Easton (2016)

Forwards

Stevie May (2015)

Michael O'Halloran (2015)

Chris Kane (2016)

Random guy had posted this list recently if that is of any help -

Sorry for this but I'm needing somewhere to post this list before I lose track of it, if you spot any mistakes let me know, and if its annoying that its here just say and I'll find somewhere else to copy and edit it from

Goalkeepers

1 - Alan Mannus - (31) - 2014

15 - Steve Banks - (41) - 2014

30 - Zander Clark - (20) - 2014 - on loan at Queen of the South until Summer 2014

------------------------------

35 - Mark Hurst - (18) - 2014

Defenders

2 - Dave Mackay - (33) - 2015

3 - Tam Scobbie - (25) - 2014

5 - Frazer Wright - (34) - 2014

6 - Steven Anderson - (28) - 2014

19 - Gary Miller - (26) - 2014

21 - Callum Davidson - (37) - 2015

24 - Brian Easton - (25) - 2014

25 - Sanel Jahic - (32) - January 2014

------------------------------

36 - Scott Stevenson - (17) - 2014

38 - Ally Gilchrist - (18) - 2014 

40 - Andrew Steeves - (19) - 2014

43 - Gareth Rodger - (19) - 2014 

Midfielders

- Paddy Cregg - (27) - 2014

- Chris Millar - (30) - 2015

8 - Gary McDonald - (31) - 2014

10 - David Wotherspoon - (23) - 2015

14 - Gwion Edwards - (20) - Loan until January 2014

16 - Liam Caddis - (20) - 2014 - on loan at Alloa for January 

18 - Murray Davidson - (25) - 2014

20 - Scott Brown - (18) - 2014

22 - Lee Croft - (28) - 2014

---------------------------------------

32 - Dwayne Coultress - (18) - 2014 

34 - Keiran Stewart - (19) - 2014

39 - Scott Gray - (19) - 2014

44 - Craig Thomson - (18) - 2014

45 - Matthew McArthur - (18) - 2014

46 - Anthony Higgins - (17) - 2014

49 - Scott Taylor-Mackenzie - (17) - 2014

Forwards

- Steven MacLean - (31) - 2014

11 - Nigel Hasselbaink - (23) - 2014

17 - Stevie May - (21) - 2015

27 - Rory Fallon - (31) - 2014

?? - Michael O'Halloran - (22) - 2015

---------------------------------

31 - Dylan Easton - (19) - 2016

41 - Chris Kane - (18) - 2016 - on loan at Dumbarton for January

42 - Robbie Norrie - (19) - 2014

is it just me or is Goodwillie actually not that good anyway? :shock:

not exactly providing United with much...

He's got 5/6 goals from if say mostly the subs bench, especially recently. He just can't play that lone striker role very well. All his best success has come from playing off someone. United don't play that system this year.

Although TW will know what type of player he needs to compliment the squad, I really think he needs to consider the potential supporters reaction if Goodwillie joins us. Nothing to do with his ability (which my be in question) but more with the fact that the guy is an odious wee cretin and nothing but trouble