Player contracts and transfers

David123

Guest ScottMann

Sports science and video analysis is done by the same person Alex Hendrick, but we have a guy going out looking at the opposition and reporting on games Ewan Peacock..

Don't we have a number of scouts around the UK looking at players? I don't mean full time employess but basically contacts with free lancers in basically a pay-as-you-go set up.

What's our scouting like? Do we invest in actually searching for these players? It's something I never hear mentioned at Saints.

Paul Sturrock used to constantly fly all over the place to watch players he had his eye on. I'm pretty sure he'd watched Dasovic many times before we brought him in. Nowadays I just can't imagine us having the time or resource to allow a manager to do that. I think it also has to be said, though, that we live in a world where you can very easily go online and watch football matches from all over the globe, so spotting these guys should surely be easier now, not harder.

I'm pretty sure Saints will have agents offering us foreign players all the time too, so it's not just down to scouting. But it does seem Tommy's decided these sorts of players just aren't worth his time. I haven't heard of us having any trialists joining us from abroad this summer at all. Perhaps that will change in the coming weeks, given how desperate the search seems to be.

Paul Sturrock used to constantly fly all over the place to watch players he had his eye on. I'm pretty sure he'd watched Dasovic many times before we brought him in. Nowadays I just can't imagine us having the time or resource to allow a manager to do that. I think it also has to be said, though, that we live in a world where you can very easily go online and watch football matches from all over the globe, so spotting these guys should surely be easier now, not harder.

I'm pretty sure Saints will have agents offering us foreign players all the time too, so it's not just down to scouting. But it does seem Tommy's decided these sorts of players just aren't worth his time. I haven't heard of us having any trialists joining us from abroad this summer at all. Perhaps that will change in the coming weeks, given how desperate the search seems to be.

Part of the problem was that a lot of players wont become free agents until the end of June so there's possibly a lack of availability. I'd like to see us trying for more continental players if only because they might bring something a bit different.

Where's Mostovoi these days anyway?

People talk about finding a "quality striker", as if it's going to be an easy task. When you look back at the past 20 years worth of top scorers, it's quite clear that we struggle in this area all too regularly. There's quite a lot of revisionism going on here when the likes of Tade, Sheridan and Simao are being spoken about as if they were goalscoring machines.

Only three times over the last two decades has a Saints striker scored more than 10 goals in the top league.
Only once has a player scored more than 15.

What would you class as an acceptable return for a St Johnstone striker? When people speak about finding a "quality striker", what are you actually expecting? Because history shows that we just don't attract players who will score 15-20 a year.

qal7PMg.png

Don't get this obsession with Storey. He played the second half against our reserves last week & can't say I noticed him.

He's fast, powerful, can play up front or on the wing, and averaged a goal every 220 minutes for ICT. Scoring 11 goals in 30 games. 

He's 23, would cost less in fees and wages than O'Halloran. He's also British and has experience of the league

Surely he'd be worth a chance with us? 

He's fast, powerful, can play up front or on the wing, and averaged a goal every 220 minutes for ICT. Scoring 11 goals in 30 games. 

He's 23, would cost less in fees and wages than O'Halloran. He's also British and has experience of the league

Sounds like a punt- if available & can afford him. Still would like a foreigner.  He may not adapt, to country or the league. He may turn out to be shite. 1 yr deal with clause for extension. It would add a bit of excitement & lift fans morale. Take the risk saints! Give us something different. We've lacked a player since May that we could look to. No offence to the current squad, who have done very well, but would like something different. Please Santa Brown...

Don't think he would be any better than what we have.

McInnes obviously doesn't rate him as I think he has just bought a striker from England & is trying to sign Moult for £250,000.

Don't think he would be any better than what we have.

McInnes obviously doesn't rate him as I think he has just bought a striker from England & is trying to sign Moult for £250,000.

I'd rather take a gamble on him, a player who has scored regularly at this level, than gamble on a Bosnian who could turn out to be absolutely rancid like the raft of foreign huddies Hamilton sign every Summer. Maybe that's just me though. 

Sounds like he's signing for Kilmarnock anyway. 

People talk about finding a "quality striker", as if it's going to be an easy task. When you look back at the past 20 years worth of top scorers, it's quite clear that we struggle in this area all too regularly. There's quite a lot of revisionism going on here when the likes of Tade, Sheridan and Simao are being spoken about as if they were goalscoring machines.

Only three times over the last two decades has a Saints striker scored more than 10 goals in the top league.
Only once has a player scored more than 15.

What would you class as an acceptable return for a St Johnstone striker? When people speak about finding a "quality striker", what are you actually expecting? Because history shows that we just don't attract players who will score 15-20 a year.

qal7PMg.png

I agree with you, we're unlikely to unearth a 20 goal a season player. I just think someone who can weigh in with 12 or so, to add to Maclean getting similar.  Also someone who brings pace or trickery, just to add a different dimension to our attack. I don't think it's just about the goal return.

The one thing I would say, is other clubs of a similar level to us have managed to find strikers that make a positive impact, often before moving on for a fee.

Number of premiership goals each season in brackets:

Greg Stewart, Dundee (13, 9) signed from Cowdenbeath 

Kane Hemmings, Dundee (21) signed when Barnsley released him

Louis Moult, Motherwell (15, 15) signed from Wrexham 

Tony Andreu, Hamilton Accies (12 in 23 matches) signed from Livingston

Billy McKay, ICT (3, 23, 18, 10) signed from Northampton Town

Liam Boyce, Ross County (10, 15, 23) signed from Cliftonville

That's only the ones off the top of my head that I can think of in the past few seasons. So there are bargains out there to be had.

You can blame Brown or Tommy but ultimately down to the people of perthshire to get behind the club go and support them at home and put your money into the club, we can get between 5500 and 7000 for Euro games but barely get 2500 for home games that tells you the story

They can't even get behind the Saints club which fundraise 52 weeks of the year guys an lassie flogging there Arses off raising money for Saints  there were 13 people in the club for the traki game which says it all, but quiet happily pour there cash into the tulloch.

Support the club or lose it simplest.

So to be fair, it IS the clubs fault for what is going on. They are a business and know the budgets they run on. We one the cup in 2014 with over 20,000 fans at Parkhead but they done absolutely nothing to entice people to come back after the final. There were no deals on season tickets to encourage those irregular supporters to come to games.

As for Euro games we are near 8,000 to 9,000 in respect so the fan base is there but people do not want to spend money on mediocre and shitty performances.

Their public relations is poor by any stretch. We have one of the best offers to see top flight Scottish football but it's never hammered home. There are a multitude of basic marketing opportunities they can do to get people into games but it all gets quashed as season ticket holders start moaning that some of the offers are better than the price per game on the season ticket.

Yes it's bad about the Saints Club and I empathise with the situation there but the location of it doesn't help. Yes people poured into the Tulloch but it was the only place close-by. 

If the case of supporting the club was to give them money then why did Saints not put some money into covering the astro pitch and having an open air "beer garden" and events area there as its within a fenced area so easy to keep it contained. The answer is exactly the same as why we are not singing players. They are unwilling or do not want to spend money.

We have a tiny budget and are surviving on our 2,500 crowds, if we even had 5,000 crowds the budget would not move. As for loosing the club that is exactly what Brown said. We do not deserve a club, but he doesn't deserve to be running a club and having a go at fans when the product some weeks is garbage.

As for going back to this being a transfers page, we will panic sign 2/3 more gash players and struggle all season with a top scorer having 8 goals.

****ing hell!!!  What a rant.

Yes the club missed an opportunity after the cup final, but thats been done to death, things have improved greatly and our season tickets for this season were available in April.

We offer the best admission deal of any top league club in Scotland, probably U.K. And I see it advertised constantly.  In terms of this, the club couldn't do more to entice fans in.

The quality of entertainment on offer may not help attract folk, but if we opened up and played a more attractive style with our playing squad, we would probably be less successful. Partick Thistle play a more attractive style, get similar crowds to us. They also scored 10 less goals than us last season, and have had one sixth place finish and no cup runs during the past 6 seasons.

Over the past few seasons I've come to the conclusion we have a big floating support, who love a European match, Cup semi-final or final, but generally couldn't give a **** about watching Saints in regular league matches. 

Its completely fair enough, people should do whatever they want with their time and money, but don't then get all upset when we can't afford to buy many top players on gates of about 3000 home fans at best, despite us being in the most successful spell in our history.