Steve Brown

8 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

I think you’ll find Celtic are very much a selling club.

Yes! Exactly what a Celtic supporting mate of mine was saying today, who incidentally, mentioned that a few fans are frustrated by the amount their players were getting sold for as it was felt they could have got more but are undervalued because they play in Scotland. A tad "have cake, eat cake" perhaps, but  Everyone in Scotland is now a selling club.

1 minute ago, Sheldo said:

Yes! Exactly what a Celtic supporting mate of mine was saying today, who incidentally, mentioned that a few fans are frustrated by the amount their players were getting sold for as it was felt they could have got more but are undervalued because they play in Scotland. A tad "have cake, eat cake" perhaps, but  Everyone in Scotland is now a selling club.

Celtic’s players are more desperate to leave than ours! 

12 hours ago, Sheldo said:

Sorry but this is all crap!

1) May was always going, his contract was ending that season, his agent instructed him not to sign a new one, so we cashed in.

2) We have been in the Premier League for the longest stretch of time I can remember (been supporting saints since 1995 when we were in the 1st division), we won 2 cups last season and have hit the top 6/Euro qualification several times in the last 10 years. We are the "Yo-yo" club that doesn't seem to yo-yo that much any more, save for in and out of the top 6.

3) Roddy is a director. Previously he was an associate director and before that a Lotto administrator. He's Saints through and through and a good ambassador for the club and is well respected in the game.

4) Sensible thing to do and has been done at many clubs over the years, including Saints. Back in the day Stewart Duff did a lot of the day-to-day running for Geoff.

5) Drey Wright couldn't agree a deal, we had no manager at the time but overall wasn't a huge loss even tho he was a decent player.

6) Stevie May's contract was held up by Rowan Vine being a t***. May punted Vine anyway and Saints got their man. This also kinda cancels out point one as we got the cash then got the player back.

7) Wallace Duffy has played about 15 times since joining Inverness. He has been no real loss.

8) I have never seen any solid evidence to show that Wright was sacked (see my last post from the Record article). "Off the record" claims can be little more than Chinese whispers.

9) Thanks to Brexit, work permits are a massive bugger for all professions.

10) "£1-£1.2mill with add-ons. Adds-ons take figure to £2m before sell on fees." Which is more than £1.75 million! Ali made it clear he wanted to leave.

11) Yes, loans are not ideal, but we have cover. We got a new midfielder because we just sold one plus Craig and Davidson have a combined age of 67. Striker is now here and training and we still have other defenders that are experienced. We can also still sign free agents outwith the window

12) Yes, and so will every other club. I'd hazard a guess here tho that now we have money from the sales of Kerr and McCann and the dust has settled on Europe and we can get fans back in bringing in much needed ££, Brown and Callum can start looking at budgets to get players on new deals.

Steve Brown ain't no saint (pun fully intended!) and yes, not everything is perfect. I do think McCann could have gone for more. But we always balance the books, we still don't know what fun and game swill be thrown up by Covid, having has 1.5 years now without fans and I'd far rather have him and Roddy than Charles Green, Craig White, the Kelly Family, The Marrs, Di Stefano, Romanov or any of the other idiots that have ruined clubs in Scotland over the years.

Did...did Steve Brown write this?

In fairness SB has played a blinder with his PR release. As others have said, puts it firmly on McCann. We can argue whether we should've kept him until Christmas or the summer (I'd have liked either), but what is strange is how SB really avoids the issue of how McCann had so much clout. Okay, he'd be an unhappy player. Loads of players are unhappy. Look at at Zaha. He spat the dummy, Kane buggered off to Florida. But both came back. Now, we're talking about high profile players & big clubs involved. But the underlying management of the situation is the same, regardless of fees, or profile.

If you're under contract, you're legally obliged. I have no doubt that McCann would've got a life changing offer in future transfer windows.

SB doesn't like to be bullied. I'm still slightly confused by this one.

It's an interesting one. I assumed he was talking about add ons in terms of Mccann plays x amount of games £y. Preston get promoted (yes I know, unlikely!) £y.

But re-reading Brown's statement and CD's comments in the paper..."“The offer was a good one, when you take into account the sell-on and everything else..." Guess its what is "everything else".

Also, going by CD comments, it suggested that there was a sell on with both, not just AM.

“The deals wouldn’t have gone through if it hadn’t been for the sell-ons,” he pointed out."

I seem to remember Brown being a little cheesed off when May was sold by Wednesday and we didn't get as much as we might of due to how they structured the deal...hopefully he learned from that.

5 hours ago, rik2304 said:

What we don't know is whether that journalist is generally in the know or if they're just playing up to the PNE fans.

This is a critical point in trying to get at the truth here.  SB refers to a renegotiated deal (after he and Callum agreed to let Ali go) where the add ons would bring the final figure above £1.75 million.  Also, the McCann article describes the add ons as "achievable".  Arguably that is more likely to refer to additional sums tied to first team games played than a sell on % some time in the future.

The journalist hides behind the newspaper rather than his own sources and says Lancs.live "believes" North End did not put pen to paper on any add ons.

Edited by south inch

16 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Bear in mind the “journalist” will be a 20 year old gender studies graduate employed as an unpaid intern expected to file 15 “stories” per day, all rehashes of stuff they found on the internet.

One of the most on-point posts I've read on here!