The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

2 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

If its Bair/May and at some point Kane as our out and out strikers I think we will need a Zander level keeper to keep us up. Staying up is probably worth a few million to the club, I would pull out all stops to keep him if we can.

I'm not keen on the optimistic thinking to our situation. Like in business, shit happens, players get crocked and some see form drops and we are a few of those away from hail mary journeyman loans and a bottom of the table scrap. 

I know there's folk feeling more optimistic now, and maybe we are ok if the current squad stays healthy, but that rarely happens.

May and Kane will score roughly 6-10 goals combined in all competitions. To say there’s pressure on Bair is a massive understatement. He’s not exactly been a prolific goalscorer  in his career so far.

16 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

May and Kane will score roughly 6-10 goals combined in all competitions. To say there’s pressure on Bair is a massive understatement. He’s not exactly been a prolific goalscorer  in his career so far.

Courier got a write up on Bair today, saw it on BBC gossip, would like to read it but paperladdie doesnae get here till December

7 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Sam who

Spent last season at Killie and got 3 challenge cup games and 1 cup game I think.

McIness probably told Davidson he was a good goalie as the battle for relegation will be between the two.

11 years of loans. Doesn't look promising.

Classic Davidson to replace Davidson with a ‘keeper who couldn’t get a game in the Championship last season. 
“Who shall we sign to replace arguably the best ‘keeper outwith the OF? I know the reserve ‘keeper for our relegation rivals”. This will also be out last signing apparently.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Spent last season at Killie and got 3 challenge cup games and 1 cup game I think.

McIness probably told Davidson he was a good goalie as the battle for relegation will be between the two.

11 years of loans. Doesn't look promising.

but at least it gives you something to mump and moan about

2 hours ago, Linky said:

Classic Davidson to replace Davidson with a ‘keeper who couldn’t get a game in the Championship last season. 
“Who shall we sign to replace arguably the best ‘keeper outwith the OF? I know the reserve ‘keeper for our relegation rivals”. This will also be out last signing apparently.

why are we replacing a midfielder with a goalie :laugh: replacing zander was always going to be a issue as there is no way we were going to be able to afford a player on verge on international recognition like zander with anyone comparable.

give the guy a chance  

7 minutes ago, mainstand said:

but at least it gives you something to mump and moan about

why are we replacing a midfielder with a goalie :laugh: replacing zander was always going to be a issue as there is no way we were going to be able to afford a player on verge on international recognition like zander with anyone comparable.

give the guy a chance  

If Davidson studies his record there is no way he should sign him.

I would rather see Sinclair being our number one. At least he is an International goalie.

14 minutes ago, mainstand said:

give the guy a chance  

Had a long spell with Colchester until he left following a contract dispute.  Things seem to have gone downhill since so he might respond well to the chance of a first choice slot if that is what is intended.

Also he is well over 6ft so lets give him a chance he must surely be an improvement on a guy who is toying with retirement.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

replacing zander was always going to be a issue as there is no way we were going to be able to afford a player on verge on international recognition like zander with anyone comparable.

give the guy a chance  

I wouldn’t expect someone of Clark’s quality to come in, but surely one should expect better quality than the reserve for a Championship side last season? I mean, we were never going to replace Rooney with someone of his quality, but at least Wright has played at a decent level.

If true not inspiring.  Many queried Alan Main for similar reasons.  I will have hope until he proves me wrong.  In my opinion, I'd have gone with Sinclair as he has the potential to be very good.  We've seen goalkeepers come through from a younger age so the old adage that a keeper had to be nearing retirement to be good has been shown to be false.  Like Blueheaven, I'd use the money to find a defensive midfielder to allow Hallberg to play further forward.  

Now is the glass half full or half empty?

1 hour ago, Northern saint said:

If true not inspiring.  Many queried Alan Main for similar reasons.  I will have hope until he proves me wrong.  In my opinion, I'd have gone with Sinclair as he has the potential to be very good.  We've seen goalkeepers come through from a younger age so the old adage that a keeper had to be nearing retirement to be good has been shown to be false.  Like Blueheaven, I'd use the money to find a defensive midfielder to allow Hallberg to play further forward.  

Half full because we haven’t kicked a ball in anger and are currently undefeated, in six weeks time it might be a different story though, until then it’s COYS

2 hours ago, Northern saint said:

It is such a Scottish football attitude that players are too young to be “thrown in” etc etc.

I will be rather disappointed if Sinclair, Kucheriavyi and Bair don’t get ample game time(from the start of matches) this season.

Id also like to dispel the myth that Callum Davidson only likes older players. He is putting together a squad, albeit arguably lacking quality, who are young and hungry.

Ross Sinclair (21)

Tony Gallagher(22), Dan Cleary(26), John Mahon(22), Liam Gordon(26) and James Brown(24).

Cammy MacPherson(23), Melker Hallberg(26) and Charlie Gilmour(23)

Theo Bair(22), Chris Kane(27)

That above starting 11 would have an average age of: 23.8 years old

Now that 11 isn’t going to get us top six but many on this forum might back those 11 players to have a hell of a more successful season than what we had last.

13 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

It is such a Scottish football attitude that players are too young to be “thrown in” etc etc.

I will be rather disappointed if Sinclair, Kucheriavyi and Bair don’t get ample game time(from the start of matches) this season.

Id also like to dispel the myth that Callum Davidson only likes older players. He is putting together a squad, albeit arguably lacking quality, who are young and hungry.

Ross Sinclair (21)

Tony Gallagher(22), Dan Cleary(26), John Mahon(22), Liam Gordon(26) and James Brown(24).

Cammy MacPherson(23), Melker Hallberg(26) and Charlie Gilmour(23)

Theo Bair(22), Chris Kane(27)

That above starting 11 would have an average age of: 23.8 years old

Now that 11 isn’t going to get us top six but many on this forum might back those 11 players to have a hell of a more successful season than what we had last.

My only concern with a young squad is if we get off to a rocky start than where will the leadership come from within the playing group.

When Man Utd won with the younger lads they still had a core of experienced players leading them, now for not one moment  am I saying our young ones are of that standard but we still need to surround them with the right support.

I want us to stay up as we all do, but can we afford to have them all learn their trade as SPL players in one hit?

10 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

My only concern with a young squad is if we get off to a rocky start than where will the leadership come from within the playing group.

When Man Utd won with the younger lads they still had a core of experienced players leading them, now for not one moment  am I saying our young ones are of that standard but we still need to surround them with the right support.

I want us to stay up as we all do, but can we afford to have them all learn their trade as SPL players in one hit?

I suppose that is theory behind keeping guys like Liam Craig and Steven MacLean on the coaching staff.

Also why Callum leans so heavily on guys like David Wotherspoon, Murray Davidson and Stevie May for showing new players the hardworking ethos it takes to be part of a successful St.Johnstone team. Michael O’Halloran has been around for a long time and even guys like Callum Booth have been here for 3 years.

He has also added the experience of the classic “good honest pro” of Andy Considine to help the young defence.

That is the theory at least. 

11 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I suppose that is theory behind keeping guys like Liam Craig and Steven MacLean on the coaching staff.

Also why Callum leans so heavily on guys like David Wotherspoon, Murray Davidson and Stevie May for showing new players the hardworking ethos it takes to be part of a successful St.Johnstone team. Michael O’Halloran has been around for a long time and even guys like Callum Booth have been here for 3 years.

He has also added the experience of the classic “good honest pro” of Andy Considine to help the young defence.

That is the theory at least. 

I’m with you 100% this isn’t a team led by Weir and Kernie and Main behind them, so we have to lean on the players you mentioned.

Im excited to see Max and Sinclair and than Melke and Cleary I just hope that our coaching staff have the balls or vision to give some of them in the group stages a game.

I think Cleary can be a very shrewd signing for us this season.