Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

If TW goes and I mean if I believe he will take Callum with him. Once a manager and his assistant form a good partnership they almost always stick together. In my opinion, he would only take one player with him MOH the others are in the twilight of their careers. Buying Stevie May will be another condition in him accepting the job.

If he goes we are looking outside the club for a new manager.

That may often be true, but it's not always the case. If it was, Tommy Wright wouldn't be our manager.

If Tommy were to go anywhere, I've no doubt he'd like to take Davidson with him. But wouldn't Davidson – at the very least – want to sound out the possibility of a bigger job for himself: taking over Saints in his own right?

That may often be true, but it's not always the case. If it was, Tommy Wright wouldn't be our manager.

If Tommy were to go anywhere, I've no doubt he'd like to take Davidson with him. But wouldn't Davidson – at the very least – want to sound out the possibility of a bigger job for himself: taking over Saints in his own right?

There's also the additional compensation that it would cost Utd to take Tommy and Callum. And I wonder if there are any release clauses in Callum's contract?

Looking at it, I'm going to suggest that there may be an element of both Hughes and Wright using the interest in them to try and improve their contracts. Certainly so in Hughes' case. I don't think Wright would go to Tannadice. Despite somebody's claim of McNamara earning £300k basic (which is utter tosh) United will offer better wages but I wouldn't have said significantly so. I think he'll attract offers from down south so enough if money is his only motivation.

I'd also say as much as he would be my personal choice of the usual suspects that are being mooted, would he be able to replicate the mentality he has at McD at Tanny. There are real leaders at Saints but none at United, how much can you organise and inspire if you have no leaders. My prediction is that Hughes will get a new contract, Wright may get one too, McGhee will be Well manager when Scotland get horsed again and United will end up with Mixu or possibly Irvine.

I'd also say as much as he would be my personal choice of the usual suspects that are being mooted, would he be able to replicate the mentality he has at McD at Tanny. There are real leaders at Saints but none at United, how much can you organise and inspire if you have no leaders. My prediction is that Hughes will get a new contract, Wright may get one too, McGhee will be Well manager when Scotland get horsed again and United will end up with Mixu or possibly Irvine.

Would you say Tommy is the favourite for the job among United fans? Are there any other candidates who the fans in general are keen on? I have to say, of the names I've seen linked with the job, I don't think I'd be delighted with many of them if I was a United supporter.

In fact looking at that tweet "we are not going cheap" let's be honest, Irvine is still contracted by WBA, Alexander just left fleetwood, and Evans was more than likely on a good wage, we should be safe, I'm imagining the media are trying to mess with us by linking our manager with another job, can tell they're seething still at us eliminating rangers from the league cup. 

Quite a bit of activity in this thread so I apologise if this is a point that has been made by someone else.

Tommy seemed genuinely shocked that McNamara was relieved of his duties in a meeting held at McDiarmid Park. Thompson couldn't wait to get 30 minutes along the road to convene such a serious meeting. A meeting that must have been on the cards anyway. To effectively sack your manager at an opponent's ground shows a complete lack of respect for everyone involved, including your opponents. That to me rings all kinds of alarm bells about the culture behind the scenes at that club.

If Thompson was trying to woo Wright, could Tommy soon forget the way his prospective chairman had treated a fellow manager? Whatever the relationship between the two managers they were fellow professionals in a tough industry. How McNamara was treated cannot have been looked upon favourably by any manager in the Scottish Leagues.

Whatever Wright's career goals are, I doubt they included taking a stepping stone in a club like Yinited that seems to have deep running structural and cultural problems.

Spence quoting were asking 50k for him. 

Not feeling confident of him being here after the break.

Probably some truth in the discussions as nearly every paper is running the story

I dont get why people talk like its not going to happen. If you were offered a job which would probably double your wage over night what would you do?

Edited by PerthSeany

Why are folk fretting?

there is no reason for TW to go. United are not a bigger club in terms of current staffing levels. 

Sure they have money and more fans but I doubt he would go anywhere near them with their chairmans thirst for sackings.

folk need to realise TW is under contract, sure he could walk away in breach of that but if you think they paid compensation for JacMac to Thistle, considering TW is a trophy winner, the initial offers start at £1m. 

Edited by St Mikey

I have said it before on this thread if you take the 1980's out of the equation (which I now accept due to DU's astounding success in that period is slightly unfair) SJ and DU are not that far apart in terms of success.

Added to that the way we are now playing and getting the results (and to be fair we have been playing well since the start of the season) we are I think in with a great chance of adding to our silverware in the near future.

WTF would Tommy want to move to a team who are potentially no better in any way other than POTENTIAL fans numbers.

I honestly believe that the only job he will leave McD for is Northern Ireland (and in reality he could do that if CD got promoted to co-manager to cover for any absences the national team duties entailed)

Spence quoting were asking 50k for him. 

Not feeling confident of him being here after the break.

Probably some truth in the discussions as nearly every paper is running the story

I dont get why people talk like its not going to happen. If you were offered a job which would probably double your wage over night what would you do?

If it was going to feck up my families life I would tell them no thanks

I'm sure Tommy has kept an eye on his mate Lomas and his fine career since he jumped for the big bucks. Big money that I'm sure was thrown at Tommy also at the time, which he turned down. Even if he doubled his salary at United, it would be an unstable environment and who knows if it's a long-term wage. 

Like other posters say, he's smart enough to see that there is a deeper issue at United that does not bode well for any manager. At saints he has stability and owners who maintain a professional and well run club. This repeatedly brings out the best out in players coming in and results far exceed the level of cash we throw about. Tommy has been a big part of the success, but there is also a foundation at the club that is stable and the players and managers feel that and they perform at a higher level.

Yes, he will leave us, for him I hope it's for the N. Ireland manager's job, something he would excel at. 

It would be completely out of character for him to go to poorly run shithole like Tannadice.

Edited by Texas-Saint

I read earlier in week that Utd's wish to get Hughes from ICT was scuppered because of a £200,000 compensation clause in his contract. I'd be amazed if we let anyone even speak to Tommy without demanding a lot more than that!!!

£50k compensation  being quoted on twitter by Jim Spence. Peanuts for Utd. Remember how long it took yo get Tommy contract sorted - obviously a shrewd man.

Would you say Tommy is the favourite for the job among United fans? Are there any other candidates who the fans in general are keen on? I have to say, of the names I've seen linked with the job, I don't think I'd be delighted with many of them if I was a United supporter.

Speaking on behalf of all Dundee United fans and the Black community...

In truth I'm not sure there is any one favourite as such amongst the United fans. The only one who would be almost unanimously welcomed would be Levein but that isn't happening. Wright and Hughes are the two who probably have the least number of detractors that I've read today but still have those that don't want them. The main doubts with regards Wright are whether he can organise and motivate given the players at his disposal. Weirdly it is his ability to have done that with Saints that are the things most want him for. I think he'd at very worse do a decent job and would make sure we weren't involved in a relegation battle come May.

A couple of points I would make though. Firstly, as much as I don't expect Wright to come the lure of a bigger wage and bigger budget whilst not having to move house etc would have an appeal. I wouldn't be gobsmacked if he did come though still don't think it will happen. Secondly the whole nonsense about an unstable background and the likes. Houston was given support throughout his time and left after it became clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract and his position became untenable. McNamara was given backing throughout his time and even after the horrendous run he went on after January last season he was still given time and resources to correct that. Unfortunately that was a task he wasn't up to. ST backs his managers and certainly isn't trigger happy. The club is in a very strong financial position and despite the dross come from a small, vocal group of United "fans"   (seem to recall there was a group on here calling Steve Brown all the names not that long ago) we're in very good nick off the field. Now we need somebody to do the same on the pitch.