Saints v Killie 7th Nov 3pm K-O

The ghost of Jim Morton

On a similar vein to Paulo's point.  Is it just me or do we almost invariably start a match by rolling the ball back to Cuptie who then hoofs a high ball cross field to the left wing where one of the opposition defenders usually gets to it first?

I have taken this point up with managers/coaches for many years and never had an answer as to why teams do this rather than just pass the ball and keep it.

I have taken this point up with managers/coaches for many years and never had an answer as to why teams do this rather than just pass the ball and keep it.

It is a school boy tactic. The ball is usually put out of play as near as possible to the the corner flag. Then make it difficult for them to play it out. I too cannot understand why we do this rather than keep it. 

I have been watching football for over 50 years. To me a big part of supporting a team is the discussion of starting 11, the formation, the substitutions, the how team played and the performance of each player. I believe their is more to supporting a team than going along watching the game and going home. To me Match day is just that a day full of anticipation, excitement, joy, sadness and listening to others opinion and giving my opinion. Yes this is certainly the best team I have seen and the best manager. But just because the are performing at the top of their game does not mean we cannot discuss or give our opinions on the pros and cons of 442, 433, diamond formation or who and why someone is substituted. Some may see it as hoo hah but to me its football.

Don't see how watching football for over 50years make you more qualified or less qualified than the next man.

A day at the footie for me home or away is a day out, few beers and gossip with my mates and a Saints win makes me a happy bunny.

P.S. I could give you a few years:wink:

Don't see how watching football for over 50years make you more qualified or less qualified than the next man.

A day at the footie for me home or away is a day out, few beers and gossip with my mates and a Saints win makes me a happy bunny.

Edit above. P.s. I could probably give you a few years, which means nothing.:wink:

i have tth same points raised by my 19s when we talk about centres. There first instinct is to pass the ball back to the full back and play the ball about.  All they are doing is immediately putting themselves under pressure get on the front foot and play the ball in their half right away by playing it  wide and make them defend. 

TThaat is mmy interpretation of why they do it. 

aye but he has his coaching badges remember. 

Great hold up & back heal from Ando in build up to 2nd goal.

I like Scobbie but he was at fault for their goal & he missed a headed in last minute that almost led to equaliser.

after looking at the longer highlights I feel that Ando was at some fault for Killie's goal. he had followed a Killie player with the ball out to near the centre circle. this player passed to the winger and Ando was then running back into position and had not got there by the time the cross had come in.

after looking at the longer highlights I feel that Ando was at some fault for Killie's goal. he had followed a Killie player with the ball out to near the centre circle. this player passed to the winger and Ando was then running back into position and had not got there by the time the cross had come in.

Sitting in the Ormond end, I saw Scobbie and Ando at fault for their goal. Could see it going in before Smith even jumped.

edit - having just watched the highlights, Fisher didn't know if he was coming or going either.
What about Spoony though, emulating the child of Jinky Johnstone and Cristiano Ronaldo on that wing for the 2nd goal!

Edited by fazman1977
watched highlights

Great hold up & back heal from Ando in build up to 2nd goal.

I like Scobbie but he was at fault for their goal & he missed a headed in last minute that almost led to equaliser.

Not sure how Scobbie can take the blame. He tracked the lads run and prevented him getting in on goal. He pushed him out wide and arguably his only failing is stopping the cross.

Easton was not in position at that point which meant Scobbie was out of position out wide. That left Ando and MacKay in the middle. Ando chose to defend the near post ball and MacKay then had to push to the middle but he didn't, he was occupied by the lad at the back. Because the ball dropped in the middle the next danger is the runner from deep and that should have been picked up by Murray Davidson but he didn't track his runner.

All in all this happened because we got caught square too high up the pitch and we didn't track our runners.  

Easton was caught out of position. 

Ando do pressed too high up. 

Scobbie was was wrong side of his man. 

If any of them do their jobs correctly the goal is prevented. As such they're all equally culpable. Plus Davidson who let Smith run off him. 

Easton was caught out of position. 

Ando do pressed too high up. 

Scobbie was was wrong side of his man. 

If any of them do their jobs correctly the goal is prevented. As such they're all equally culpable. Plus Davidson who let Smith run off him. 

I reckon it was all Tommy's fault for going and changing out of his suit and missing the kick off:laugh:

Cummings could be out for upto 6 weeks.  

Very bad news... I was really hoping the core of our key performers would have a clear run from injuries until the end of the season just to see what this team could achieve. We a have proved we can survive the odd game without Macca or Mikey but 6 weeks without Graham Cummins is a worry for me.

I suppose it really boils down to how dedicated and determined John Sutton is to nailing down a first team spot. I'm sceptical of that and I don't think we can rely on young Chris Kane for 6 weeks to perform consistently at the level of Cummins.

Very bad news... I was really hoping the core of our key performers would have a clear run from injuries until the end of the season just to see what this team could achieve. We a have proved we can survive the odd game without Macca or Mikey but 6 weeks without Graham Cummins is a worry for me.

I suppose it really boils down to how dedicated and determined John Sutton is to nailing down a first team spot. I'm sceptical of that and I don't think we can rely on young Chris Kane for 6 weeks to perform consistently at the level of Cummins.

Disagree.  I would like to think it gives Kane the opportunity to show Tommy exactly what he can do.  He's sat on the bench itching to get his chance, every time he's got it he's delivered, and now he has the opportunity to do it for a run of games.  

Report I saw said a month, with the international break taking up a week, so it might be as few as 3-4 games that he is out for.