St Johnstone v St Mirren 0309//22

tucker

4 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

Bair had his parents there probably wanted to impress. Wanted the penalty as well. But big thing is he won two headers.

Yeah, looked like the whole family was there. Did win some headers when we were defending corners right enough. Really hope he can turn it around, maybe not having the pressure of being the only striker other than May will see him improve.

22 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Great result I guess the 2 goals against the Jambos and 3 against the fakes does that now mean that the sexy Saintees football team is back? Haha

Great for Clark to score on his debut, let’s hope he can be our new Hendry type of goal poacher.

Surely with May starting it might mean Bair is out to a championship team this week?

COYS

At least he is getting some game time. There are guys that are training all week and not even getting on the bench. We played a couple of bounce games against Arbroath but haven't heard of anything else. Crazy that with a squad that size we didn't join the reserve league.

When I saw the initial team, I was glad to see the two strikers, but was very worried about how open we would be in the centre of midfield with the Hallberg-Carey combo. Yet I believe it worked very well, in fact I thought Carey was very good in the middle and had some bite to him.

I'm not sure if we were good, St Mirren poor or a mixture of both, but we thoroughly deserved the three points today.

Clark impressed, Mitchell again looked a very good defender and dare I say it both McGowan and Considine are looking half decent additions. Wright had another good performance to boot.

Hopeful that CD and the lads prove me well and truly wrong over the next few weeks.

7 hours ago, south inch said:

Well done, I think 3 - 0 counts as "handsomely".  Any thoughts about the Killie game yet?

Honestly think we can kick on from this. What was great was the hunger off the bench. That's the beginning of a team that believes. I don't give a fuk if it's a big squad.....Phillips was excellent off the bench as an example.

Bring on killi, nothing to fear

15 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Call me negative, but I still don’t think we were great yesterday - as strange as that sounds. St. Mirren were total guff though. That’s as bad a performance from an away team at McDiarmid in a while. Clark and May looked really good together. 

FFS Enjoy the win mate 

56 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Call me negative, but I still don’t think we were great yesterday - as strange as that sounds. St. Mirren were total guff though. That’s as bad a performance from an away team at McDiarmid in a while. Clark and May looked really good together. 

We weren’t great, but it is the smallest of alteration that can make all the difference. The players had a clear message to flood the box when Drey Wright and Ross Montgomery got down the sides. What a difference it makes when these guys have options to find a teammate in the middle rather than drilling an aimless ball into a “good area”.

Best example was Drey Wright’s goal.

F9D7EC72-299D-4F15-8081-3AA9B2D395F2.png

14 hours ago, mainstand said:

As bad as things have been so far this season we are only 4 behind 4th place and when you think about games we lost, 

Hibs - 91st minute

Hearts - should have held out for draw 

Aberdeen - One superb free kick 

Really should have had 2 draws at home prior to todays match.

Have to agree to a certain extent.

Refs did us no favours. Hibs should have been down to 10 as well and think the left back was involved in their goal. Don's free kick wasn't a free and it was moved nearer to a scoring position.

Having said that a draw at the most we could have got out of those 2 as I doubt if we had a shot on target.

Ref was kinder to us yesterday , 4 fouls to us 15 agains them. BBC stats ,not sure if that's right.

53 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

We weren’t great, but it is the smallest of alteration that can make all the difference. The players had a clear message to flood the box when Drey Wright and Ross Montgomery got down the sides. What a difference it makes when these guys have options to find a teammate in the middle rather than drilling an aimless ball into a “good area”.

F9D7EC72-299D-4F15-8081-3AA9B2D395F2.png

Without checking - because I’m too lazy - I think we had six players in the box for the first goal too. Clear intent which was refreshing to see. As I say, enough to be encouraged about

25 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Without checking - because I’m too lazy - I think we had six players in the box for the first goal too. Clear intent which was refreshing to see. As I say, enough to be encouraged about

Also Nicky Clark inside the 6 yard box will make a huge difference. It got him a goal early on and just his presence there for the second is enough to split the defence. 

Thought the discipline was better also, no dumb bookings until Mitchell at end.

Good vibe in the team, as someone else said earlier, they seem to like each other.

Its a thin veneer of hope that's maybe ready to thicken, if they go into killi with confidence and  take that game, I think we can kick on and my feelings on Callum may improve a bit.

Strange game. 3-0 flattered us, but then I think we deserved a point against both Hearts & Aberdeen.

Generally solid & some good play, but we sat off them at the start of the second half & a better team would’ve equalised. May had his best game for a while & Clark is a good addition. Wish Carey would stop going down any time someone comes near him. Hope we can build on this.

20 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Agree with this. I didn't actually think our performance was all that different from our others this season but when we got forward there seemed to be more intent to get into the box, and having two strikers on the pitch definitely helped with that. I think we also saw what a huge difference it makes to Stevie May's play when he has someone alongside him to link up with. I feel like we've always known May needs that, which is why it's been so infuriating to see him played up front on his own.

I felt St Mirren caused us quite a few problems but our defence and goalkeeper did well and we were also able to ride our luck a little when they hit the woodwork. Some confusing midfield selections from us but fortunately it worked out. Hallberg continues to look a shadow of his former self, sadly.

I was impressed by McLennan when he came on and it made such a difference to be able to bring some energy off the bench. And what a ball from Matthews to send him through on goal.

I still have a lot of big concerns but hopefully this gives us something to build on, especially when you look at the the next three games we have coming up.

It's amazing how a win changes the tone in this place. Great to see some positivity for once but there is a long way to go.

If we can back up our win with another good performace at Killie next week it really could be the start of us turning things around for the long term.

Was anybody else surprised that both teams were wearing their home kits? 

23 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

FFS Enjoy the win mate 

There are some fans that have developed such a deep hate for Callum they can't even take time off to enjoy a much needed win and three good goals, instead preferring to lap up that it wasn't perfect and there's still work to be done. No matter what he does to turn things round they'll never change until he's gone.

5 minutes ago, Sergei said:

There are some fans that have developed such a deep hate for Callum they can't even take time off to enjoy a much needed win and three good goals, instead preferring to lap up that it wasn't perfect and there's still work to be done. No matter what he does to turn things round they'll never change until he's gone.

I'm not sure that's true. Fan opinion can change pretty quickly (it changed quickly enough from positive to negative after the Double, after all). I think if we make Top 6 (for example) most fans would feel that he's successfully turned things around and his job is safe, even if they still have concerns/reservations.

But at the same time you can't expect people's views and worries to suddenly be silenced by just one good result.

37 minutes ago, Sergei said:

Total shite. I was merely pointing out that I don’t think we played that well - any opinion I have on the manager wouldn’t change that. I still think there was enough to be encouraged about, but one swallow doesn’t make a summer. If we have turned a corner, then ****ing fantastic. All aboard the Callum express. 

4 hours ago, Sergei said:

Don't agree, one or two folks maybe, but most fans of any club swing into positive territory quickly when you get results and nice football is being played.

We have had a god awful 12 months....but I bet 99% on here want to see us win and improve under any manager.